Anti-Semitism ever present on campus - The Daily Collegian: Letters To Editor

|
||

Anti-Semitism ever present on campus

Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:00 am

Last Thursday night, the predominantly Jewish Fraternity Beta Sigma Beta was the target of anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitic slogans and swastikas — the emblem of Nazi Germany — were painted on at least a dozen cars. As a proud Jewish student at Penn State University, I was deeply saddened and disturbed to hear about these lewd and vicious acts of hatred. Just yesterday, Nov. 10, 2013, was the 75th anniversary of Kristallnact — the Night of Broken Glass — a night in which thousands of heinous crimes, executed by gangs of Nazis throughout Germany, occurred. Thousands of Jewish businesses and synagogues were destroyed. How can it be that 75 years later intolerance and injustice is ever present on my own college campus? What’s shocking to me is that this is not the first time horrific anti-Semitic events have occurred at Penn State. Less than two years ago a Nazi flag was placed on Beta Sigma Beta’s lawn.

I am addressing Penn State, and I would like to know what action will be taken to resolve last week’s events. Action must be taken and these events need to be dealt with seriously and not simply be brushed off. These past events need not be ignored. I refuse to sit back and watch as ignorance floods my college campus and no action is taken about it. Along with alcohol and safety awareness education programs that are required among freshmen students, I believe it is of utmost importance that a program be implemented to educate incoming students of the vast religions, cultures and races that reside at our university. I, along with the 6,000 other Jews who attend this university, deserve to be free of the hatred and bigotry that currently resides here at Penn State. I want to be proud to say that Penn State Lives Here — not a culture of anti-Semitism.

Submit a Letter

To submit a letter to the Editor please use our online form or send an email to letters@psucollegian.com.

When emailing a letter be sure to include your full contact information or your letter will be ignored.