Student-created holiday brings down community - The Daily Collegian: Editorial

|
||

Student-created holiday brings down community

Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:00 am

The State Patty’s Day Task Force has announced that every week from now until the infamous student- created drinking holiday, they will be having meetings to discuss various initiatives to help curb the amount of destruction that comes with the weekend.

These weekly meetings will include leaders from the student body, university officials, leaders from the State College Borough itself, as well as business leaders. Efforts have been made on behalf of all entities to really find a way to restrain the havoc of the holiday, and a lot of time has been put into these efforts. The Task Force has asked the bars to shut down and created alcohol free events in past years, such as community service projects.

While productive steps are being made to plan far enough in advance so as to not be scrambling at the last minute throwing together weak anti-State Patty’s measures as has happened in the past, the fact that we as a Penn State community still have to spend so much time devoted to this issue is ridiculous.

Not only do student, university and downtown leaders have to devote time to the issue of State Patty’s before it even happens, but the holiday forces both the university and State College Borough to pay for the destructiveness of the weekend. While some of the damage is done by Penn Staters over the course of the weekend, most of the damage is done by people who come from out of town. Not having to wallow in the consequences of their own crapulence, they come to use our town for their own indulgences for one weekend with the excuse of having a “real college experience” and leave us with the cleanup.

The question is “should we spend time on something so unnecessary?” Why can’t the holiday itself just be eradicated? We all know most people don’t need a special holiday as an excuse to drink all weekend.

We all hear stories from alumni about special drinking events from when they were here and that’s exactly what they are — stories. They have since fallen to the realm of anecdote, just as State Patty’s will eventually. We should just turn the wheels history a little faster.

1 comment:

• joemcd30 posted at 5:05 pm on Thu, Jan 16, 2014.

joemcd30 Posts: 1

What a stupid write up. I'll tell you who's wasting time, you for writing this utter nonsense. You may as well take up action against every football weekend while you're at it.

Most Popular

Online poll

Loading…