Penn State student charged with sexual offenses - The Daily Collegian: Crime And Courts

|
||

Penn State student charged with sexual offenses

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:00 am

Editor’s note: This article contains graphic content.

A Penn State student was charged with sexual offenses after being found performing a lewd sexual act on campus July 18, according to the University Police Daily Activity and Fire Log.

Ke Yang, 21, of China, was found by a Penn State employee masturbating in Room 109 in the Boucke Building, according to court documents. The employee told police she had gone to the room to take the room’s garbage when she saw Yang sitting in a chair next to the room’s podium with his shirt removed and with his pants and underwear around his ankles engaging in the sexual act. She said she left the room “due to her alarm,” according to the documents.

She then contacted another employee at the time for assistance and they both spoke to officers and told them they had often seen Yang in the building “alone, either in empty class rooms or the computer labs,” according to the documents.

A Penn State student in Room 111 of the same building later directed the officers to a computer Yang had been working at prior to the incident, which helped them identify Yang, according to the documents.

After being contacted via phone on the same day, Yang voluntarily came into the Penn State Police headquarters and admitted to an officer to performing the sexual act in the room. He said he developed the urge to do so while studying and said he was viewing pornographic images on his phone. Yang also said he was addicted to pornography, according to the documents.

Yang also provided a written statement regarding the incident and said he understood his conduct was inappropriate and “also illegal in his native country,” according to the documents.

He was charged with indecent exposure, open lewdness and disorderly conduct and was remanded to Centre County Correctional Facility on $10,000 straight bail, according to the University Police Daily Activity and Fire Log.

He is no longer held in the Centre County Correctional Facility, a representative from the facility said.

The incident was reported 6:56 p.m. July 18, and was reported to have occurred a few minutes earlier, according to the log.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled on Wednesday at the Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte.