Spanier's testimony read during preliminary hearing - The Daily Collegian: Crime And Courts

|
||

Spanier's testimony read during preliminary hearing

Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:10 pm | Updated: 11:38 am, Fri Aug 9, 2013.

After Penn State Spokeswoman Lisa Powers testified this morning in the preliminary hearing for three former administrators, Graham Spanier's grand jury testimony from April 2011 was read by the prosecution.

In his grand jury testimony, Spanier said that Tim Curley and Gary Schultz told him sometime around 2002 that someone in the athletic department had witnessed Jerry Sandusky "horsing around" with a kid in the locker room shower of the Lasch Football building.

Spanier said it was never mentioned that the incident had been sexual.

The former president also said in the testimony that he had not had any impression that the incident occurred after hours or at night. He also said he didn't know whether they spoke about attempting to identify the child.

Spanier also testified to the grand jury that he did not know of any investigation into Sandusky in 1998. When asked why similar allegations would be handled differently in 1998 and 2002, he repeated that he did not know about any incident in 1998. He also said he thought that Schultz or Curley would have spoken with him about those kinds of allegations in 1998 if either of them knew of anything like that.

If something did occur and it was investigated by Penn State Police, Spanier said he would assume that they didn't come to any incriminating conclusions.

Before the prosecution read Spanier's testimony from the presentment, Braden Cook, senior supervisor special agent for the attorney general's computer forensic unit, testified before the court.

Cook said he worked on recovering the email evidence from 1998 and 2001. Cook described the method of uncovering the emails - most of which was done by looking for key words.

He also said most of the evidence came from the email system of Gary Schultz, and that Spanier had a large email system, but all of his emails had been deleted.

The proceedings are currently in a lunch recess and will resume at about 1:30 p.m.

Read Wednesday's edition of The Daily Collegian for more information.