Karl Rominger under investigation for possible misappropriation of funds, surrenders license - The Daily Collegian: Crime And Courts

|
||

Karl Rominger under investigation for possible misappropriation of funds, surrenders license

• Amendola and Rominger speak with reporters

Joe Amendola, left, and Karl Rominger, attorneys to Jerry Sandusky, speak with reporters outside of Centre County Courthouse after the October 9, 2012 sentencing of Sandusky.

Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 12:00 am

Karl Rominger, one of the former defense attorneys for former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, has voluntarily surrendered his license to practice law in Pennsylvania after allegations of using a client’s money for personal use.

Sandusky was convicted on 45 charges of child sexual abuse in 2012 and is currently serving a 30 to 60 year prison sentence.

Cumberland County District Attorney David Freed and his office will lead the investigation into the “potential misappropriation of a significant amount of client funds,” Freed said in a statement issued by the Cumberland County Office of the District Attorney.

Rominger is currently being investigated for potentially taking funds from a trust account that he then used himself, Cumberland County Bar Association President Ivo V. Otto III said.

Otto said Rominger, who represented one person in a divorce case, was holding money in a trust and was supposed to give this money to the legal representation for the other person in the divorce case.

Freed said in the statement that he met with attorney William Costopoulos, who represents Rominger, and “stated a desire to cooperate with any investigation.”

Rominger could not be reached for comment as of press time Sunday.

“Anyone who has observed my office over my time as District Attorney knows that we file criminal charges based on evidence and evidence alone,” Freed said in the statement.

Public statements are “important evidence” but are not a “sufficient basis” alone to support the criminal charge, the statement said.

“We will fully investigate this case and file charges when the evidence supports that action and not before," Freed said in the statement.

Online poll

Loading…