Council members pied in face for charity - The Daily Collegian: Campus

|
||

Council members pied in face for charity

Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:00 am

Penn State Panhellenic Council members decided to take a less ordinary and a more delicious route to raise money and celebrate sisterhood on Tuesday afternoon.

In the spirit of celebrating Panhellenic Pride Week, Panhellenic President Rachel Franceschino and Vice President for Community Development Emmie Wajert allowed themselves to be pied in the face behind the HUB-Robeson Center yesterday.

The table charged students $1 to pie either Franceschino or Wajert in the face to raise money for the Centre County Women’s Resource Center, a local organization that Penn State Panhellenics have frequently benefited in the past.

“Being pied in the face wasn’t bad,” Franceschino (senior-political science and labor studies in employment relations) said. “It went well in terms of fundraising, and it was actually pretty fun. I’d do it again—as long as it went to a good cause.”

Wajert said being pied in the face was worth making close to $100 to benefit the CCWRC.

“It’s a really good cause,” Wajert (senior- English) said. “It was an interesting experience, and people were really excited to help. We raised a lot of money in a short amount of time.”

Kappa Alpha Theta Junior Panhellenic member Whitney Weis was one of the sorority sisters to run the table, in addition to helping come up with the events of Panhellenic Pride Week, such as this one.

“We came up with all of these ideas with the week together,” Weis (sophomore-business) said. “This a good way to raise money, and it was a lot of fun to watch.”

According to their website, from Oct. 14 to Oct. 18, the Panhellenic Council will be holding various events to promote the accomplishments of the community, as well as to serve as a reminder to sororities on campus that they are all Panhellenic sisters.

Events throughout the week include other benefits for the CCWRC, movie nights, and pizza and desert parties, all with the goal of bringing sisters of different Penn State University Sororities together.

Franceshino said the variety of the events will provide good opportunities for Panhellenic women to bond.

“We honor different members in different chapters, and hold a lot of different events,” Franceschino said. “It’s really a good way to get to know other girls in the sororities here.”