The New York Times managing editor Dean Baquet speaks at Foster-Foreman Conference - The Daily Collegian: Campus

|
||

The New York Times managing editor Dean Baquet speaks at Foster-Foreman Conference

Posted: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 12:08 am, Wed Oct 2, 2013.

Dean Baquet, Pulitzer Prize winner and managing editor of The New York Times, spoke at the HUB-Robeson Center last night about the changing world of journalism as part of the Foster-Foreman Conference of Distinguished Writers.

Baquet spoke about how journalism is transforming and what effect the changes will have on young journalists.

“The web has been a transformation for journalism and I think multimedia is creating a new way to experience journalism,” he said. “The speed of the web has confronted new organizations with big decisions that we’ve never had to confront before and it’s exciting.”

The development of the Internet has presented a new range of important decisions that need to be made, but the tools that young journalists will learn from making these decisions will be worth it, he added.

While the Internet has proven to be beneficial in many ways for journalism, there are also some consequences, Baquet said.

“It is not my fear that newspapers will die,” he said. “My only fear is that the craft of witnessing and reporting on the truth will die.”

Reporters learn lessons working with people they write about face-to-face, Baquet said, adding that writers won’t have the same experiences working from home.

“You learn a lesson when you’re face-to-face with the people you write about that cannot be learned when a reporter is writing a story from home,” he said.

Baquet went on to talk about his position at The New York Times and said that printing accurately is one of the most difficult aspects in journalism right now.

“You have to make fast decisions because the competition is all around you,” he said.

Baquet also offered some advice for the young journalists in the room last night.

“If you suck up all of the knowledge and if you revel in entry level positions in journalism and if you embrace the public service aspect of it, you will have the time of your life,” he said.

Some students who do not even major in journalism, such as Dominick Tricoche, attended the conference out of an interest in media.

“There are a lot of international stories in The New York Times and to hear from someone who oversees that was interesting for me,” Tricoche (senior-international politics) said. “I thought Baquet was great and very informative, especially when he talked about the ethics of journalism.”

Bridget Markham said her original purpose was to attend the conference for a class, but she ended up really liking it.

“I thought it was interesting because he was short and to the point, which I wasn’t really expecting,” Markham (sophomore- Photojournalism) said.

82 comments:

• SeeThroughTheLies posted at 4:29 pm on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

SeeThroughTheLies Posts: 2

How ironic, the very next day we see this:
    http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/10/03/New-York-Times-Falsely-Attaches-Shooting-to-Fiscal-Crisis

• raf1233 posted at 4:09 pm on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

raf1233 Posts: 2

These posts make enjoyable reading, many are more well-written and thoughtful than the publication they are eviscerating. NYT could double subscriptions without changing philosophies or bias ...just post 10-12 of these comments as "letters to the editor" every day. I'm a buyer.

• Howard B Golden posted at 2:29 pm on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Howard B Golden Posts: 2

@Dan Austin: Your ad hominem argument isn't helpful to the discussion. Many very intelligent people are liberal. The key to the rise (and eventual fall) of Marxist dictatorships was the ability to fool many intelligent people, at least for a while. Intelligence and gullibility are orthogonal dimensions.

• Dan Austin posted at 8:05 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Dan Austin Posts: 1

I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective. As many college students majoring in difficult and intellectually challenging majors have no doubt observed, journalism majors as a group aren't made up of the swiftest or brightest students. It is a major often chosen by students who have difficulty grasping such complex material as science, math, and logic.

Do you have trouble grasping simple algebra, but still want to go to college? Does physics or chemistry baffle you? Then journalism is the perfect major for you.

In some colleges, getting a D- in beginning algebra is all the math you need to graduate with a degree in journalism. Getting a similar grade in a survey course in Astronomy will take care of your science requirements.

Such logically and analytically impaired people are attracted to the 'do gooder' philosophy of liberalism. They become assertive in their beliefs, and despise people with more subtle and nuanced belief systems. They are incapable of winning arguments with intellectually superior people (and there are many of them), and so they resort to adamant insistence that their limited world view is somehow superior to everyone else's.

At the same time, their concepts of impartiality and objectivity are impaired by these same intellectual limitations. It is replaced by being on a 'mission' to 'enlighten' people to their world view, even as it is limited, inconsistent, and filled with 'political correctness'.

They become self righteous in their self perceived 'noble cause'. This enables them to feel superior to people who could win any fact based debate with them.

Their goal as journalists becomes to go out into the world and paint a picture of the world consistent with their liberal philosophy. As such, they feel it is only right and proper to ignore facts and information that casts their philosophy in a negative light. They don't like objective facts and information anyway, and are not good at organizing and presenting that kind of information.

There you have the modern day journalist. Relatively uninformed, intellectually limited, and on a mission to promote their liberal philosophy. In a way, you can't blame them for it, because it's all they know and all they know how to do.

It's better just to understand who and what they are, and ignore them.

• Al Barrs posted at 7:20 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Al Barrs Posts: 3

AMEN!!!

• Al Barrs posted at 7:19 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Al Barrs Posts: 3

JIM! THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH!!! There is no wiggle room. A lie is a lie and propaganda is propaganda... Truth is the truth, nothing else...white is white and black is black, there is no grey in truth.

• Al Barrs posted at 7:16 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Al Barrs Posts: 3

For a very long time Americas news media has been abusing their 1st Amendment right. They have supplanted the truth in reporting with propaganda and ideological lies!!! Only a complete change in government will turn the tide and return truth to reporting...

• MZEE posted at 7:08 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

MZEE Posts: 1

Truth in reporting has long since BEEN dead, and reporting on specific topics and persons is definitely a concern. The IRS situation has nothing on the U.S. Department of Labor's EEOIC division. Yet, no one will touch it with a 50ft pole. Additionally, only a few news persons have noted the egregious racist tactics over the Affordable Care Act, which amounts to threatening the president in a 'do what we want' stance or else. The result is the government shutdown.

• JimThompson posted at 6:43 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

JimThompson Posts: 1

I have no doubt Mr. Baquet is sincere in his views, though I find those views to be part of the issue with "modern" journalism. Mr. Baquet is pushing for the "truth", which is a perspective, a point of view. What is true for one is certainly not true for another. Indeed the New York Times is filled with "truths" currently. However, solid journalism should be concerned with relaying facts, and I think it has been quite some time since the New York Times, or any other publication in the United States for the matter of it, has concentrated on simply presenting facts to their readership. Certainly not all their doing, of course; their readership does not seemingly reward the simple presentation of fact.

• Matthias the Prompt posted at 5:38 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Matthias the Prompt Posts: 3

"The truth"-- try going into the Times comments section-- only the North Koreans control speech more severely. They allow ALL points of view to be shared-- from the left to the far-left. Any comment critical of this administration is wiped as soon as it's published-- unless it's chiding Obama for being too much of a centrist.

---and this @sshat has the 'nads to whine about the death of "truth?".

• Matthias the Prompt posted at 5:22 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Matthias the Prompt Posts: 3

You know, this guy's concern for "the craft of printing the truth" would be more convincing if his breath didn't still reek of Obama's ballsack.

• Matthias the Prompt posted at 5:17 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Matthias the Prompt Posts: 3

So daring to point out the glaring hypocrisy of the editor of the NYTimes and his sanctimonious prattle about "the craft of printing the truth" makes one a "Drudgetard"?

I guess that would make someone who takes his self-important claptrap seriously, what, a libtard?

Uhuh, it sure is SMART to believe wholeheartedly in every narrative put out by Hollywood, academia and the media. As long as you agree with them, you're sure to be one of the "smart people"-- the REAL people, the people that GET IT-- you know, like Matt Damon.

• loyalopposition posted at 4:20 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

loyalopposition Posts: 1

THE DRUDGETARDS ARE HERE

• Beth posted at 3:44 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Beth Posts: 1

@Tyrone Slothrop

That was my reaction -

"ROFLMAO"

The NYT along with the rest of the American alphabet media wouldn't know Truth if it smack them upside their heads.

• Render posted at 3:34 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Render Posts: 1

“My only fear is that the craft of witnessing and reporting on the truth will die.”
    Perhaps if the MSM had focused more on facts than "the truth", those who eschewed the kool-aid would not have gone desperately seeking alternatives that did so.

• Abbey posted at 2:57 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Abbey Posts: 2

WOW! Right on!

• Abbey posted at 2:39 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Abbey Posts: 2

The truth died with the New York Times years ago and has been reborn in the alternative media. Get over it Dean. Sure, not all the news to be found in alternatives to the government corporate presstitute media is true, but it's better than listening to a presstitute.

• doubleducks posted at 1:26 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

doubleducks Posts: 1

The New York Times would not know Truth from Pravda.

• TruthDetector posted at 12:53 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

TruthDetector Posts: 1

The NYT and truth have been estranged for decades.

• Dr 6M4TfWu posted at 12:07 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

Dr 6M4TfWu Posts: 1

The New York Times editorial page. a.k.a The Mouth of Sauron

• TheWalsh posted at 12:01 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

TheWalsh Posts: 1

The Times motto can be said to be, All the news that fits, we print". Did Pontius Pilate anticipate our day, when he said, "What is truth?" The ancient relativist would feel right at home in the New York Times.

• jimlocke posted at 11:48 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

jimlocke Posts: 1

I suppose this could be interpreted to the actual truth as: "It's his fear that newspapers have and will continue to lose their grip on forming public opinion, promoting their leftist agenda, and keeping a lid on truth."

• gdub54 posted at 11:00 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

gdub54 Posts: 1

Sorry to inform you buddy but journalism has been reduce to nothing more than road kill for quite a while now. It's the "Dead skunk in the middle of the road stinking to high heaven" and my friend (NYT) you were at the wheel of the station wagon car it didn't see coming.

• Bob Vedari posted at 10:55 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Bob Vedari Posts: 1

He fears that the truth *will* die? The entire mainstream media put the truth on its deathbed back in the Clinton years, and every time it stages a recovery, the NYT along with the rest of the despicable press, poisons it. Your job, NYT, is not to shill for any President - especially not a traitor like the current one. Your job was to hold this demon's feet to the fire, not have idiot reporters who ask him what he finds enchanting about his job? The truth is on life support BECAUSE OF YOU!

• HerbTarlek posted at 10:44 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

HerbTarlek Posts: 1

The Communist Takeover Of
    America - 45 Declared Goals (1963)

#20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policy-making positions. http://rense.com/general32/americ.htm

• Tyrone Slothrop posted at 10:28 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Tyrone Slothrop Posts: 1

ROFLMAO.

• rphillips111 posted at 9:41 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

rphillips111 Posts: 2

If the "Times" and other large media organizations had not created and sold "the narrative" of the 2008 election as "our first black President", the election would have turned on many factors which were not mentioned.

The media would have examined the birth certificate story, and we would not have had to put up with that one for four years. The media would have examined the influences which shaped Barack Obama, including his father who was a Marxist revolutionary, Frank Marshall, of commie fame, the fact he lived in Indonesia and was known there as Barry Soetoro. Did he change his name, did he change his citizenship? Was he at Occidental college as a foreign student or immigrant? Just what were his grades in college, and what did his writings say? Just a few of the questions a decent media would have realized were necessary for the American people to know before they chose him as the Democratic Nominee and then President of the US in 2008.

Face it, if the MSM had done its job properly in 2008, Either Hillary Cllinton or John McCain would be President today. And while neither of them would have got my vote in 2012, either one of them would have made a better President than Obama. Far better.

• cleo48 posted at 8:53 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

cleo48 Posts: 1

Oh, stop. Don't talk to me about truth. I don't care how professional a "journalist" might be. I don't care whether the reporter wrote the story about his OWN mugging with witnesses. The FACT is that truth in US journalism died a long time ago.
    You know where the body is laying? Dead on the floor of the editorial staff office. Been rotting there for decades. You can bring TRUTH into an editorial staff by the truckload, but only a fraction of it will ever make it to print.

• WILLIE FRANK posted at 8:08 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

WILLIE FRANK Posts: 1

The "witnessing and reporting on the truth" not being reported in the newspapers is what lead to the rise of internet journalism.

• TashaTchin posted at 7:41 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

TashaTchin Posts: 1

All these failing left-leaning papers, like the New York and Los Angeles Times ignore one simple fact of life: Left-brain people tend to read non-fiction (like news papers), listen to talk radio and tend toward the conservative side of the political spectrum; while right-brain people tend to watch TV (instead of reading, but prefer fiction when they do read), listen to music on the radio (instead of talk, which is why Air America died despite all the high-end lefty talent) and tend toward the leftist side of the political spectrum.

As long as newspapers continue to put out product slanted to the left, they alienate the very people who would buy their product. And, they will continue to go broke writing for people who do not consume their product. The current New Your Times business model would be similar to a pork and bacon producer trying to build their business by advertising only to Muslims. How long do you think that pork producer would stay in business if not heavily subsidized by some other funding source?

• Itsnotyours posted at 7:31 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Itsnotyours Posts: 1

That is completely brilliant and funny! I had to sign up just to show my appreciation to many of the great posts here nailing NYTimes and idiot journalists, which are complete pu**ys and cowards.

As a species, we are supposed to evolve, as Human Beings.
    I guess these centrist throwbacks didn't get the memo.

Zingen63 and the others thanks for taking some of the words out of my mouth.

• mike posted at 7:05 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

mike Posts: 1

Reporting the truth died at the NYT years ago. Now they only report Democrat talking points knowing they are lies. They are a mouthpiece for the liberal politicians.

• mo up in the northeast posted at 6:51 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

mo up in the northeast Posts: 3

The important thing is the lack of heaviness in the loafers of our President. Look up Larry Sinclair.

• mo up in the northeast posted at 6:48 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

mo up in the northeast Posts: 3

The NY Times is no longer necessary, and they wouldn't know the truth if it hit them in the nose. Check out this fantastic Benghazi link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7os9D-EsFmM

• mo up in the northeast posted at 6:46 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

mo up in the northeast Posts: 3

Great post on your part. Look up murder of Donald Young, the openly g.. choir director of Rev. Jeremiah Wright's church.

• obozosux posted at 6:43 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

obozosux Posts: 1

So you fear the craft of "witnessing and reporting on the truth" will did. That's a joke.... that ship sailed and the N.Y.T has been at the helm for years. Your paper isn't fit to line my cats' litter box.

• Fog Hat posted at 6:35 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Fog Hat Posts: 1

The old gray lady has been exposed. We now know what biased hacks are and have been employed there. Thank you new media. The truth is out there it is just not printed in the pages of the NYT .

• Cjinx79 posted at 6:11 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Cjinx79 Posts: 1

Hey Mr. Baquet, I have a news flash for you. You have been an accessory to the murder of JOURNALISM by allowing your paper to be corrupted by liberalism / progressivism.

It's literally hilarious that you are bitching about your lack of relevance in this world. You might not like it but the fact is you haven't been doing actual reporting for years and your staff is a bunch of politically motivated hacks.

Tom Krugman comes to mind but then there's plenty more there and I'm sure you know who they are because you have sanctioned their propaganda for years.

Enjoy your fall from your imagined grace. You were never important in our world,, that would be the real world and not your imagined one.

I think that the 7-11 down the road might be hiring. Do you want the number?

• Zingen63 posted at 6:08 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Zingen63 Posts: 1

Poor, poor New York Times. How used you must feel. It's like a tawdry Lifetime movie. After you carried liberal water for years, hired absolute partisan hacks like Paul Krugman and Maureen Dowd gave them a pulpit to bark at the moon, NOW you worry about journalistic integrity? Really?... Really-really? When you spilled national secrets and endangered your fellow citizens just to grab headlines, did you think people wouldn't remember? When you actively campaigned for political candidates by emphasizing the negatives of their opponents and burying your candidates' failings did you think people wouldn't feel that the New York Times- a bastion of the press, an institution that our founding fathers felt was a watchdog of the people, didn't invalidate their votes by deliberately misinforming our citizens?
    Here's the joke: the very INSTANT you finally notice that this particular emperor's new clothes are in fact an empty suit he's found other suitors. Used you like a condom, didn't he? Stained you like a blue dress.
    Here's the facts: all of the previously-thought "unsinkable" mastheads that have gone into the tank are failing. The NYT, the LA TImes, MSNBC, CNN- people are even tiring of Fox News. All of you forgot that most people outside the 20% at either end of the spectrum are generally fair. They want to be able hear the facts and then decide for themselves what's what. Integrity lasts- popularity does not. Did you really think it would last? The problem is that for better or worse you're stuck now. What are you going to do? Take out a full-page ad in your own rag saying that you've been partisan hacks for the last thirty years and now you get it, that you'll be better now? Beg all of your former middle of the road readers to come back? "Come home, baby, I'll be faithful. My thirty years with them meant nothing to me. I really loved you all along." Like a tawdry Lifetime move. Disgusting. Pathetic.

• Hidingandwatching posted at 5:42 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Hidingandwatching Posts: 1

When did the NYT start worrying about truth? "All the news that's fit to distort and misrepresent"..

• drdrew posted at 5:39 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

drdrew Posts: 1

The last vestiges of journalistic truth in the English-speaking western world died with the sale of the last independent newspaper, Mirror, in 1987. Today, we no longer have investigative journalism or foreign correspondents digging for the truth. What passes for journalism is merely a public relations spin of corporate editorial agenda. Today's "journalists," diminished in status and pay don't think twice about trading truth for job security, access, a meal or an overnight accommodation. But why should they care when their audience sees everything much as a football game and discerns as "truth" only that which positively reflects on their "team" or detracts from the opposition.

• Andrei Bilderburger posted at 5:37 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Andrei Bilderburger Posts: 2

Writers working from home have a great advantage - they have as much time to try to dig up the truth as a writer in an office, but they don't have an editor breathing down their neck telling them what they ought to be writing.

• Andrei Bilderburger posted at 5:35 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Andrei Bilderburger Posts: 2

The New York Times hasn't published a bit of truth since it's inception. It is the unofficial house organ of the Democratic Party.

Ms. Baquet is terrified that some reporters can make a living nowadays WITHOUT being under the editorial control of Democratic Party operatives like her and will start publishing truth.

E. g. the Times gave extensive coverage to a medical paper claiming to prove mercury from vaccines does not cause autism. However they gave no coverage to the correction of that paper wherein the authors discovered they'd made a mistake computing their statistics and the data actually proved vaccine mercury DOES cause autism.

The truth may sometimes be hard to find on the internet, but you never will find it in the New York Times.

• seaden posted at 5:29 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

seaden Posts: 1

Too late, the truth died in 2008 when the media failed to properly vet Barrack Hussein Obama Aka: Barry Sortoro. Half were afraid of being called "Racist" if they asked serous questions and the other 1/2 wanted to be "Part of History" by electing the 1st black president.

Sadly we ended up with a "Community organizer", the most unqualified person to hold the office. Someone who wants the perks of the position, but not the responsibility.

Where are Barack Hussein Obama's college admission forms, his transcripts?

Here's a guy who spent the 1st ten years of his life in Indonesia under the name of Barry Sotoro, than the next 9 years in Hawaii. His mentor in Hawaii was Frank Marshall Davis, a communist writer. His friends in Chicago include to members of the Domestic Terrorist organization the Weather Underground. Obama is a sell admitted drug user who wouldn't pass a National Security background check.

He is about as alien to the American experience as anyone could get.

Where was the media in 2008?

• Howard B Golden posted at 5:03 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Howard B Golden Posts: 2

Newspapers do a disservice to their readers when they simply print the positions of partisans without comment. Lies should be called out forcefully. Journalists owe no deference to those who blithely insult our intelligence.

Argumentation should never be confused with facts. Arguments should be clearly labeled and illogical assertions should be highlighted.

Mr. Baquet believes that independent writers (working from home) are at a disadvantage. Instead, many beat writers willingly allow themselves to be co-opted to secure access to the news sources they covet. We need more outsiders to get the truth.

• tmorro posted at 4:56 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

tmorro Posts: 1

The truth? The TRUTH?? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!

:D

• tnmccoy posted at 4:50 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

tnmccoy Posts: 1

The 'truth' would actually be better known without the liberal media, led by the NY Times. Let it die and save trees.

• Tim Hogan posted at 3:26 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Tim Hogan Posts: 1

Interesting day for these comments. My Dad and 5 (out of 8) of my uncles served in WWII. The other uncles were farmers before, during and after the war and exempted from service. While these men were serving, the Federal Government had to negotiated with a deported gangster (Luciano) in order to get Longshoreman to report on German spies on NYC docks. NYC and the Times don't get it. The WWII Veterans are being used to score political points and the Times is there to support, believe and propagandize for the left.

• raf1233 posted at 3:25 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

raf1233 Posts: 2

Clueless ...like the golf ball that climbs up on the tee and encourages everyone to take a swing.

• Phlegm posted at 3:17 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Phlegm Posts: 1

I started avidly reading the NY Times in the 50's. There was a saying that my school friends and I had about "The Grey Lady" and it was that the NY Times is so objective in its political reporting that if President Eisenhower were to die - you would only read about it in the obituary column of the Times.

For a few decades I steadfastly had a subscription to the Times.

Things changed in the late 80's for me when I realized that not only did the NY Times have a political bias then but political biased comments would be found in
    many non-political articles and columns. I remember one day seeing this in a food column. It was then that the Times had a strong biased agenda and it was blatant one.

I cancelled my subscription and have never looked back.

Now the Times is a major "water-carrier" for the Obama administration.
    Hence this article is absurd and should be treated to the full derision and contempt that it deserves.

• hankvreeland posted at 2:43 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

hankvreeland Posts: 1

With all of the Pulitzer Prizes that the Times has had to give back because of false reporting, Dean Baquet should really know at first hand since he works for the Times

• p3orion posted at 2:07 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

p3orion Posts: 1

Dean Baquet, managing editor of The New York Times says “My only fear is that the craft of witnessing and reporting on the truth will die.”

In other news, Bill Clinton is worried about the increasing rate of marital infidelity, George Soros thinks there's too much money in politics, and Miley Cyrus decries the lack of talent in today's young singers.

• sentient posted at 1:57 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

sentient Posts: 1

OH! OK! I get it! I was already aware that "the whole truth" and "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" were not reported in the NYT.

All this memo means is that "the truth" is being kicked to the curb. Trivial loss really......

• rphillips111 posted at 1:37 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

rphillips111 Posts: 2

I have spent a lifetime in politics, so I watch the media very carefully.

The "truth" nowadays in journalism is really "the narrative", and "the narrative" is whatever assists the Obama White House.

As far as the mainstream media is concerned, the truth is a raw material to be shaped and molded to fit the story the media wants told.

As for me, I think Truth should be sought, and conclusions and policy should be based on facts, not the other way round. Finding a "journalist" these days who follows that rule is like trying to find the lost Dutchman goldmine.

• JAYNE RAND posted at 1:26 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

JAYNE RAND Posts: 1

Is this a true story? This guy really thinks the NYT's journalism tells the truth?

That would be funny were it not so sad.

The people who live in the northeast are so out of touch with
    America, it is unbelievable.

• DocLogic posted at 1:20 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

DocLogic Posts: 3

Perhaps it will be included in the DSM5r.

• Tom of the Missouri posted at 12:58 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Tom of the Missouri Posts: 1

That is really rich I refer you to story at the following like where the operative word is "pathetic". http://www.theguardian.com/media/media-blog/2013/sep/27/seymour-hersh-obama-nsa-american-media

• wraffi posted at 12:52 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

wraffi Posts: 1

Truth implies an objective observation of the world which surrounds us. Over the years, too many insiders at the NYT have admitted to the paper having a 'leftist ' slant.
    Truth and slant can be quite irreconcilable terms.
    Mr Baquet will have to hang his NY elitist hat for a while and contemplate and maybe swallow his own statements.
    To add insult on injury the NYT also has an old Israel/Jewish problem, but that discussion is for a different day.

• Ms Baguette posted at 12:30 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Ms Baguette Posts: 1

Was that from the Onion?

• sharinlite posted at 11:56 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

sharinlite Posts: 1

Really? The one print rag that has never seen the truth get onto it's pages has someone, Baquet, who "thinks"? Mr. Baquet when you spoke you should have highlight the O in journOlists because that is what they have become..the "changing world" is that with the Internet readers no longer have to depend on what print....For instance, what has the New York Times done regarding the 3 dozen or so black cyclists that attacked an man, his wife and baby? There is a very long video of the incident you should check out. Or, did the Times report that 1.5 million real motorcyclists came from all fifty states to Washington DC? That they were denied a permit while the 1 million Muslim March that garnered may be 10 people was given one? Or, that the police of several neighboring states and DC helped with the rally?

See? That is truth...where are you and your progressive rag?[wink]

• SeeThroughTheLies posted at 11:55 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

SeeThroughTheLies Posts: 2

My only fear- I will run out of discarded NYT papers to wrap fish... That's about all its worth.

• J1 posted at 11:50 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

J1 Posts: 1

My hope is that we can find a way to help the irony impaired.

• chasmandocharles posted at 11:46 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

chasmandocharles Posts: 1

Truth? From the NY Times? The anti-American paper that delights in exposing sensitive intelligence to out enemies, whose reporters need translators whenever they leave Manhattan and speak to the 'locals' in fly over country abandoned truth many years ago.

• DocLogic posted at 11:44 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

DocLogic Posts: 3

Maybe he meant to say: "My only truth is that the craft of fearing to witness and report on the truth will die.”

There, thats better. I fixed it Dean.

• DocLogic posted at 11:39 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

DocLogic Posts: 3

So, Dean Baquet is doing standup now? Who knew!

• Torch1952 posted at 11:36 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Torch1952 Posts: 1

Dr. Lubomyr Luciuk says that the Pulitzer Prize awarded in 1932 to Walter Duranty of the New York Times should be rescinded because of Duranty's misreporting of the Great Famine of 1932-1933. d.

His name was Walter Duranty, The New York Times’ man in Moscow in the early 1930s. For supposedly objective reporting about conditions there, Duranty was distinguished with the 1932 Pulitzer Prize for Correspondence. What he was really was Stalin’s apologist, a libertine prepared to prostitute accuracy for access, ever ready to write whatever was necessary to secure him in his various cravings.

Someone seems to be unfamiliar with the Time's past " craft of witnessing and reporting on the truth"...

• Oracle Jones posted at 11:35 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Oracle Jones Posts: 1

Truth is in the eye of the beholder so the NYT reports the "truth" as they see it. Their lack of veracity lies in distorting the facts and selectively biased reporting to buttress what they and liberals see as the "truth". Political correctness trumps factual reporting.

• pollytix posted at 11:27 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

pollytix Posts: 2

I think the operative word is craft. The NYT has been crafting their liberal/progressive/statist propagandist lies since at least Abraham Lincoln, who they repeatedly caricatured as a war mongering buffoon. Sound familiar? Of course it does. This is the same formula repeated over and over and over, ad nauseam, on all republicans, except republican-criticizing RINOs, or course. Think Reagan, GWB, Palin, etc.
    Alternatively, they propagandize all things lib/prog/statist. From the lies of Walter Duranty covering for Stalin's genocidal famine to the modern day deification of Obama and his socialist transformation of America. Remember it was Vladimir Lenin who stated, "Socialized healthcare is the keystone to the arch of socialism." Of course you won't read that in the NYT.
    The NYT is on its deathbed. Here's a novel approach that might resuscitate it: Try telling the truth!

• pollytix posted at 11:20 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

pollytix Posts: 2

• johne2123 posted at 11:19 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

johne2123 Posts: 1

The New York Times is liberal propaganda. The truth died many years ago. Thank Heavens for Drudge and Fox.

• Oh come on posted at 11:05 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Oh come on Posts: 1

I fixed the quote:

My only fear is that the craft of witnessing and reporting on the (NY Times version of) truth will die, (and using it to kill off any opposing view or discussion).”

• buffmuffin posted at 10:57 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

buffmuffin Posts: 1

[beam]

So for the NY Times, i guess pretty much nothing will change then...

• cogent warrior posted at 10:48 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

cogent warrior Posts: 2

True journalism in the American media died a long time ago. They wouldn't know the truth unless it was put out in an Obama press release!

• cogent warrior posted at 10:46 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

cogent warrior Posts: 2

The NYT hasn't told the truth in years!

• xsnake posted at 10:42 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

xsnake Posts: 1

The NYT has been economical with the truth for eons.

• MidWestMike posted at 10:37 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

MidWestMike Posts: 1

What would the NYT know about the truth? They have been covering up for the Benghazi Liar for 5 years. What pure BS.

• Yukiko posted at 10:31 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Yukiko Posts: 1

Strange this coming from the NYT. The NYT is the definition of yellow journalism and now they are complaining that journalists might lie in their stories. Lying is the basis for most of their dysfunctional rag. The only thing even close to the truth in the NYT are the advertisements.

• Great Leap Forward posted at 10:27 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Great Leap Forward Posts: 1

As my wife the journalism major is fond of saying, "lazy journalists mistake access for your subjects liking you liking you and your subjects liking you for telling you the truth."

• PurpleFlowers posted at 10:24 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

PurpleFlowers Posts: 1

When was the last time anyone ever saw the truth in the NYT? Or on any media from TV news to magazines to cable news? Our media is corrupt to the core and biased to the left. This article is a joke. No one in their right mind would believe truth has been reported in the media for decades.

• Unlearned Hand posted at 10:21 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Unlearned Hand Posts: 1

The NYTimes is the most biased paper I have ever read. Truth? Balderdash?

• bobthemoron posted at 10:13 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

bobthemoron Posts: 1

Because Baquet and the NYT staff haven't told the truth in such a long time, I doubt that any of them would recognize it if it slapped them in the face. All they seem to do is provide cover for Liberal/Progressive/Communist politicians and their fellow travelers. I was once a subscriber. No longer. I won't support the destruction of America.

• Hairy Potter posted at 10:09 am on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Hairy Potter Posts: 1

I think "Truth" died a long time ago in the American Media. "What difference does it make ? Keep looking though, there still might be some out there.