The Grove and The Heights residents finally settle in after move-in setbacks - The Daily Collegian: Borough

|
||

The Grove and The Heights residents finally settle in after move-in setbacks

• housing complexes the heights

Landscapers work in the middle of the newly constructed apartment and townhome complex, The Heights, located off of Blue Course Drive on Monday morning.

Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:00 am

After unexpected delays during move-in weekend forced several student residents at The Grove State College to find other, last-minute temporary living accommodations, construction at the apartment complex is on its final stretch.

A full construction team is currently working to finish the last bit of work at the 216-unit complex, Account Executive of Campus Crest Communities Hayley Cook said via email.

“The Grove at State College experienced some unexpected construction delays. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused our residents. Importantly, we have provided all our leaseholders with accommodations,” Cook said via email.

The Grove apartments located on Toftrees Avenue in Patton Township was just one of the multiple student complexes in the area that underwent construction over the summer, causing delays to students moving in before classes began.

The Heights, located between Blue Course Drive and Circleville Road in Ferguson Township, also experienced construction setbacks.

Though the exact cause of the delays is unknown to residents, the students displaced by the construction held strong animosity toward the apartment complex offices regarding the short notice of the move-in setback.

Patton Township partnered closely with The Grove as they worked on a tight schedule to complete inspections, Patton Township Manager Doug Erickson said, though he could not comment on the cause of delays.

“We did our best to make inspectors readily available,” Erickson said.

The move-in date for students was originally scheduled for Aug. 19, though most students were unable to officially move in until nearly a week later. Some students were required to wait longer.

“They told us nothing really specific, everything was very vague,” Mike Tomaszewski said.

Tomaszewski’s (junior-finance) move-in was pushed back not once, but twice during the week period. The second time around, he planned to move in on Aug. 24.

“The week went on, though, and then they called in the late afternoon on Friday,” Tomaszewski said.

The Heights office notified him at the time that his unit would not be ready the following day for move-in. He and other residents were then given three living options until construction was completed on the units.

The first option was to stay with family and friends during the construction period. The Heights would then compensate the residents with two months free rent.

The second option offered residents a free month of rent for staying with another Heights resident who would also receive a month’s rent compensation.

The last option, which Tomaszewski chose, was to reside in The Atherton Hotel, 125 S. Atherton St., until the issue was resolved.

“I don’t think they realized how inconvenient it was for us and our family,” he said. “They could’ve gave us more for the inconvenience.”

With construction completion drawing near, students in the complex will soon be able to enjoy the clubhouse pool, fireside lounge and tanning salon as well other outdoor amenities, Tomaszewski said.

Paradigm Properties Group, Inc., who manages The Heights at State College, did not return multiple requests for comment as of press time Tuesday.