Jay Paterno to run for Lieutenant Governor - The Daily Collegian: News

|
||

Jay Paterno to run for Lieutenant Governor

Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:07 am

UPDATE: 1:30 p.m.

Former assistant Penn State football coach Jay Paterno has announced his intentions to run the Democratic Party’s nomination for Pennsylvania Lieutenant Governor, launching his website www.voteforjay.com earlier this morning.

The website has since crashed, due to high traffic.

Paterno was expected by many in the Democratic Party to run against Republican incumbent U.S Rep. Glenn Thompson for the 5th congressional district in Pennsylvania.

“I think right now I can do the most good for the most people in the state of Pennsylvania,” Paterno said. “We want this to be a new day where we are looking at what we can do to build a better future for this state.”

Paterno will face a host of competitors for the nomination –– namely Pa. State Sen. Mike Stack (D-Philadelphia), and will focus his campaign on the state’s education system and his experience as in bringing people together as a coach and educator.

“Penn State will never have a more committed more passionate advocate in Harrisburg than in Jay Paterno,” he said.

--------

Jay Paterno announced his candidacy for Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania today, according to his website votejaypaterno.com.

Paterno is a 2014 Democratic candidate for the Lieutenant Governor race, according to the website.

Paterno has spent more than 20 years as an educator and coach and now is the director of a non-profit charity, according to the website. He is committed to public service and is deeply involved in politics on both the local and national level, according to the website.

He is the former Penn State football assistant coach, and is part of the Paterno family lawsuit against the NCAA.

In May, members of the Paterno family; Penn State Board of Trustees members Ryan McCombie, Anthony Lubrano, Al Clemens and Adam Taliaferro; and several faculty members, former coaches and former football players sued the NCAA.

According to the website, Paterno has a "passion for the issues that face Pennsylvania's working families" and he plans to bring "visionary leadership" to Harrisburg.

Read Friday's edition of The Daily Collegian for more details.

Download The Daily Collegian