Men's basketball: Penn State vs. Michigan State almost moved to Los Angeles, will remain at BJC on Dec. 31 - The Daily Collegian: Mobile

|
||

Men's basketball: Penn State vs. Michigan State almost moved to Los Angeles, will remain at BJC on Dec. 31

Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:49 pm

While Penn State's football team did not have the opportunity to travel to Los Angeles to celebrate the Tournament of Roses, the men's basketball team almost did.

The team's sports information director, Alissa Clendenen, said on Tuesday that the Nittany Lions almost moved their originally scheduled home game against Michigan State on Dec. 31 from the Bryce Jordan Center to the Staples Center in California.

She added it was seriously discussed with coach Pat Chambers on board, but fell through due to scheduling conflicts with the Staples Center. The Los Angeles Lakers and Clippers both claim home to the Staples Center. The Lakers are scheduled to play at the arena on Dec. 29 and Dec. 31 at 7:30 p.m. while the Clippers are playing at the Center on Dec. 30.

"There were too many moving parts to get it into place," Clendenen said in a phone interview.

If the game would have happened, Penn State and Michigan State would have switched home games. Michigan State would have taken the home game on Dec. 31 and the second game in the season series on Feb. 6 would have been moved to the Bryce Jordan Center.

Clendenen said Michigan State initially approached Penn State with the hypothetical situation before the Spartans had made the Rose Bowl. Once the school's football team's trip to Pasedena became official, things started to move, Clendenen added.

"There may have been conversations well before I was brought into the loop, but I became aware of it last week," Clendenen said.

Most Popular