Zwinak’s finish to season confirms future controversy - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Zwinak’s finish to season confirms future controversy

• Zwinak runs

Zach Zwinak (28) runs the ball during the game against Nebraska at Beaver Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 21, 2013. The Nittany Lions fell to the Cornhuskers 20 to 23.

Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:00 am

Staring down a third-and-10 with a few minutes to go in regulation, Penn State needed to pick up a first down to continue bleeding the clock.

The Nittany Lions held a seven-point lead against Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium on Saturday when Bill O’Brien went with — let’s call it — a gutsy play call.

Zach Zwinak lined up next to freshman quarterback Christian Hackenberg in the shotgun, the signal caller fielded the snap, waited, then handed it off to his back.

A nifty draw play to a 240-pound bullying back with 10 yards to the sticks? It may not have been conventional. The delayed handoff has been a staple of fellow running back Bill Belton this year.

But it worked.

“They checked to the draw,” Wisconsin defensive end Tyler Dippel said. “We had a blitz coming off the edge, and it just kind of opened up wide open for them.”

Zwinak hit the gaping hole in front of him for a 61-yard gain, and with the seal blocking in front of him, the back pulled off his fourth consecutive game with more than 100 rushing yards.

And while Saturday was a fine way to end the 2013 campaign for Zwinak, it only further solidified yet another running back controversy for the future.

Zwinak ended his season on Saturday just 11 rushing yards shy of his second consecutive 1,000-yard campaigns, and on the year, the now-rising senior averaged a solid 4.7 yards per rush.

On paper, it’d appear that consistency was a vital cog to Zwinak’s season, but there was a period of the season where the imposing presence wasn’t more than an afterthought.

In a stretch of three games against Michigan, Ohio State and Illinois, the converted fullback garnered just 17 carries for 57 yards.

Two fumbles, one against the Wolverines and the second coming the following week in Columbus, iced Zwinak out of the running back plans for a while, and it was hard to see how he could carve his way back into the conversation, especially given the hot hand that was Belton.

But at his weekly press conference last Tuesday, O’Brien said it took a while for Zwinak to get in a groove, but called his back a “mentally tough kid”

That groove started, naturally, via a fumble by Belton against Minnesota on Nov. 9, which opened the door once again for Zwinak.

He took full advantage of the situation.

Zwinak ran for 150 yards against the Gophers, then followed up that performance with two 149-yard games against Purdue and Nebraska.

In the last four games of the season, Zwinak averaged 27.3 carries per game — a significant spike to his 12.6 carry rate the previous eight contests.

Meanwhile, Belton was held out of last weekend’s game against Nebraska with illness and injury.

But, the New Jersey native returned, healthy and ready to go, for Wisconsin tailback returned to action in Madison with just three carries on seven yards.

Looking at it from a broader perspective, the Lions will have an interesting situation at running back (once again) in 2014.

Belton ended the year with 803 yards and five touchdowns, and Zwinak had himself 12 scores on the year. Both have obviously had their successes and shortcomings, as well, so wading through the good and bad could prove to be an arduous task for O’Brien and running backs coach Charles London.

Much will likely be determined in winter workouts and, of course, spring and fall practices.

But as of now, the shroud of obscurity that surrounded the running back situation prior to the season — a choice, really, between Zwinak or Belton — still remains consistent at the end of the season, and will retain its presence until 2014.

Loading…
Loading…

The Daily Collegian for Monday, July 28, 2014

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)