Penn State coach Bill O’Brien insists Lions won’t pack it in - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State coach Bill O’Brien insists Lions won’t pack it in

Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:00 am

Penn State can’t go to a bowl game this year or the following two. It can’t play for a Big Ten Championship.

At 5-4 and 2-3 in conference, the Nittany Lions could pack it in. But coach Bill O’Brien says that won’t happen. Because of team camaraderie, respect for opponents and the history of Penn State football, the Lions will come to play Saturday against Purdue and the two Saturdays after that against Nebraska and Wisconsin, respectively.

“People question, ‘What is there to play for?’ There’s a lot to play for,” O’Brien said. “At Penn State, there will always be something to play for.”

The Nittany Lions are a three-touchdown favorite over the lowly Boilermakers (1-8, 0-5 Big Ten) this week. They’ve scored just 21 points in their last four games and have given up 152.

One area Penn State is looking to correct is turnover margin. The Nittany Lions rank 108th in the nation in turnover margin per game at -.78. They’ve forced just 12 and given up 19.

O’Brien said while it’s important to not “overcoach it,” he tries to remind his ballcarriers that the hopes and dreams of the team are in their hands.

While the second-year head coach credited opposing defenses for making plays, he added that that’s not always the case. Last Saturday against Michigan, Bill Belton fumbled the exchange from Christian Hackenberg on the first play of the game. Late in the fourth quarter, Hackenberg fumbled the snap near Minnesota’s goal line with the Nittany Lions down 14 points.

“Sometimes, to me,” O’Brien said, “it’s a complete lack of focus.”

Despite welcoming the Big Ten’s cellar-dweller to Beaver Stadium this weekend, there’s no issue of motivation or lack of focus for Penn State.

“We don’t have any problem focusing on Purdue. We respect Purdue,” O’Brien said. “With our guys it’s never a matter of focusing on who the opponent is…It’s about playing the best football we can play and trying to get better from the mistakes that we made last week.”

O’Brien, of course, wants to make sure his team plays the best football it possibly can this weekend and for the rest of the season. In order to help insure that, he’s toning down practices late in the season to keep players fresh.

With about 60 active scholarship players on the roster, keeping guys on the field is imperative.

“As it goes into November here, we’re going to shorten practice a little bit and do some things at a faster pace and not have them out there until 6:30 at night,” O’Brien said. “You’re going to get them back there, get them something to eat and get them studying again. That’s something we’re going to continue to look at and strategize about.”

1 comment:

• pat toner posted at 10:13 am on Wed, Nov 13, 2013.

pat toner Posts: 1

Yeah just like his buddy Paterno insisted that Sandusky won't pack it in. What is it about these Hickville coaches?

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)