Penn State coach Bill O’Brien insists Lions won’t pack it in - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State coach Bill O’Brien insists Lions won’t pack it in

Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:00 am

Penn State can’t go to a bowl game this year or the following two. It can’t play for a Big Ten Championship.

At 5-4 and 2-3 in conference, the Nittany Lions could pack it in. But coach Bill O’Brien says that won’t happen. Because of team camaraderie, respect for opponents and the history of Penn State football, the Lions will come to play Saturday against Purdue and the two Saturdays after that against Nebraska and Wisconsin, respectively.

“People question, ‘What is there to play for?’ There’s a lot to play for,” O’Brien said. “At Penn State, there will always be something to play for.”

The Nittany Lions are a three-touchdown favorite over the lowly Boilermakers (1-8, 0-5 Big Ten) this week. They’ve scored just 21 points in their last four games and have given up 152.

One area Penn State is looking to correct is turnover margin. The Nittany Lions rank 108th in the nation in turnover margin per game at -.78. They’ve forced just 12 and given up 19.

O’Brien said while it’s important to not “overcoach it,” he tries to remind his ballcarriers that the hopes and dreams of the team are in their hands.

While the second-year head coach credited opposing defenses for making plays, he added that that’s not always the case. Last Saturday against Michigan, Bill Belton fumbled the exchange from Christian Hackenberg on the first play of the game. Late in the fourth quarter, Hackenberg fumbled the snap near Minnesota’s goal line with the Nittany Lions down 14 points.

“Sometimes, to me,” O’Brien said, “it’s a complete lack of focus.”

Despite welcoming the Big Ten’s cellar-dweller to Beaver Stadium this weekend, there’s no issue of motivation or lack of focus for Penn State.

“We don’t have any problem focusing on Purdue. We respect Purdue,” O’Brien said. “With our guys it’s never a matter of focusing on who the opponent is…It’s about playing the best football we can play and trying to get better from the mistakes that we made last week.”

O’Brien, of course, wants to make sure his team plays the best football it possibly can this weekend and for the rest of the season. In order to help insure that, he’s toning down practices late in the season to keep players fresh.

With about 60 active scholarship players on the roster, keeping guys on the field is imperative.

“As it goes into November here, we’re going to shorten practice a little bit and do some things at a faster pace and not have them out there until 6:30 at night,” O’Brien said. “You’re going to get them back there, get them something to eat and get them studying again. That’s something we’re going to continue to look at and strategize about.”

1 comment:

• pat toner posted at 10:13 am on Wed, Nov 13, 2013.

pat toner Posts: 1

Yeah just like his buddy Paterno insisted that Sandusky won't pack it in. What is it about these Hickville coaches?

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)