Last word: Penn State becoming well versed in overtime finishes - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Last word: Penn State becoming well versed in overtime finishes

• Carter catches pass

Kyle Carter (87) catches a pass from Hackenberg (14) to score the game winning touch down during overtime on Saturday afternoon. Penn State beat Illinois 24-17 at Beaver Stadium.

Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 12:00 am

Penn State won in overtime against a Big Ten opponent in Beaver Stadium on Saturday.

Sound familiar?

The 24-17 Penn State win over Illinois marked the third straight overtime win within conference play for the Nittany Lions on their home field — dating back to the 2012 season finale against Wisconsin.

The most recent episode of extended football didn’t reach the pandemonium level of the Lions four-overtime win against Michigan just two weeks prior. But, players said the four-hour long contest with the Wolverines did better prepare Penn State for the extra frame against the Illini.

“We all said, ‘We’ve been here before. We know what to do,’ ” said tight end Kyle Carter, who caught the go-ahead touchdown in overtime. “So it wasn’t anything new. We were all comfortable. And I was just wondering about finishing it in the first overtime, not the fourth.”

Carter admitted he felt the Lions “played down” to the Illini, who are now 0-4 in Big Ten play. Yet, a refusal to panic late in the game led to another game-tying drive with less than two minutes remaining — the second such drive quarterback Christian Hackenberg and company have executed in as many home games.

The overtime session was capped by a Ryan Keiser interception, which linebacker Mike Hull said he was relieved to see occur before the extended play continued much longer.

“I was like, ‘Here we go again,’ ” Hull said. “I didn’t know how long it was going to take, but I knew we were going to get the job done.”

Day to remember

Offense: RB Bill Belton

Though Allen Robinson had another 150-yard day to put himself over the century mark on the season, the receiver likely wouldn’t have found himself quite so open if it weren’t for the career day from Belton. In his second start of the season, the running back gained 201 rushing yards on 36 carries (5.6 yards per carry) to anchor a run-first strategy against the Illini.

Defense: S Ryan Keiser

The defensive back totaled just one tackle and didn’t even get the start Saturday, but Keiser made the most of an opportunity to seal the win in overtime. The former walk-on didn’t have to demonstrate much physical ability in the process, but the safety benefited from an Adrian Amos deflection to grab the game-winning interception in the end zone.

Day to forget

Offense: RB Akeel Lynch

The redshirt freshman did not see the field once on Saturday. Some felt Lynch may be more likely to enter the game with Zach Zwinak’s continued ball-handling issues, but Zwinak appeared to still be O’Brien’s next option after Belton. Lynch will likely have to reassert his ability in practice to get himself back into the mix.

Defense: LB Nyeem Wartman

In a similar fashion, the redshirt freshman linebacker saw less of the field on Saturday as well. Wartman had maintained the starting weakside linebacker position for six of the previous seven games, but a healthier Ben Kline — who got the start and totaled eight tackles — appeared to step into that starting position seamlessly.

Extra point

Allen Robinson’s 11-catch, 165-yard day moved the junior receiver to fifth on the all-time Penn State receptions list, and fourth in receiving yards. He now needs just 42 more yards to break Bobby Engram’s record of 1,084 receiving yards in a season.

Did you notice?

Offensive lineman Donovan Smith did not get the start at left tackle for Penn State for just the second time in his 18-game career. Smith did see the field for several series, but Adam Gress was the primary protector of Hackenberg’s backside in the game.

Quotable

“I don't feel fortunate,” coach Bill O’Brien said after Penn State won despite making many mistakes. “Fortunate is when you win the lottery, like, ‘I won $50 million dollars. I'm fortunate to win the lottery.’ ”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)