Penn State football looks to build off fast start vs. Michigan, continue "pressing kick-ass button" - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State football looks to build off fast start vs. Michigan, continue "pressing kick-ass button"

Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:00 am

Though it may feel like it occurred several months ago after the madness that ensued late in Saturday’s game, Penn State did play a first half against Michigan. And the Nittany Lions played a damn good one for the first time in weeks.

Penn State got on the board first for just the second time in six games this season with Brandon Felder’s 12-yard reception from Christian Hackenberg. Defensively, the Lions controlled a versatile Michigan offense, aside from one big play, and set the tone for the 21-10 first half performance.

In the previous three games, coach Bill O’Brien’s squad had been outscored by opponents (Central Florida, Kent State and Indiana) in the first half by a combined 34-31 clip. O’Brien said on the Big Ten coaches’ conference call Tuesday he hopes the fast-start trend continues moving forward, crediting the team’s game plan heading into the game.

Players after the game said the sell-out Beaver Stadium crowd played a factor in it, but some also mentioned it being the result of guest speakers the Lions received throughout the previous week.

Defensive tackle DaQuan Jones said former standout Penn State quarterback Michael Robinson, who played as a running back in the NFL until 2012, mentioned one mindset that the team had been preaching leading up to the Michigan game.

“He said, ‘When you go out on the field, press the kick-ass button,’ ” Jones said. “And that’s all we did. We’re out there just playing out butts off, out there fighting and scrapping and came out and won.”

The four-overtime win came on the heels of a surprising 44-24 loss to Indiana — which started off with the Lions trailing 13-7 at half — and defensive coordinator John Butler said simplifying the mental state of the team, as Robinson helped players do, was extremely important heading into the game.

Whereas a certain level of intensity had been lacking to start off previous games, Jones said once again channeling the energy the Lions played with against Michigan will be crucial moving forward

“We come out, last couple games, we always come out flat. We don’t pick it up until the second half,” Jones said. “And I just keep telling the guys, ‘We got to come out to win. Anger. Frustration. And we’ll just take it out on these guys.’ And we did. From the first play, we set the tone and we carried that momentum on until the fourth overtime.”

One last look…

O’Brien said Tuesday his staff and players have “got to start getting ready for the best team in our conference in Ohio State,” following the bye week and are primarily focused on getting players healthy in the meantime.

However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few plays O’Brien said he’ll most remember from the back-and-forth Michigan game.

“Obviously, the throw from Christian to Allen [Robinson] there at the end of regulation, [Bill Belton’s] fourth-and-1, those are two plays [I’ll remember],” O’Brien said. “I think [Anthony] Zettel’s interception early in the game and [C.J. Olaniyan’s] strip sack there that we had on them at one point. There are four or five plays that stick out, and those are some of them.”

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)