Penn State football looks to build off fast start vs. Michigan, continue "pressing kick-ass button" - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State football looks to build off fast start vs. Michigan, continue "pressing kick-ass button"

Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:00 am

Though it may feel like it occurred several months ago after the madness that ensued late in Saturday’s game, Penn State did play a first half against Michigan. And the Nittany Lions played a damn good one for the first time in weeks.

Penn State got on the board first for just the second time in six games this season with Brandon Felder’s 12-yard reception from Christian Hackenberg. Defensively, the Lions controlled a versatile Michigan offense, aside from one big play, and set the tone for the 21-10 first half performance.

In the previous three games, coach Bill O’Brien’s squad had been outscored by opponents (Central Florida, Kent State and Indiana) in the first half by a combined 34-31 clip. O’Brien said on the Big Ten coaches’ conference call Tuesday he hopes the fast-start trend continues moving forward, crediting the team’s game plan heading into the game.

Players after the game said the sell-out Beaver Stadium crowd played a factor in it, but some also mentioned it being the result of guest speakers the Lions received throughout the previous week.

Defensive tackle DaQuan Jones said former standout Penn State quarterback Michael Robinson, who played as a running back in the NFL until 2012, mentioned one mindset that the team had been preaching leading up to the Michigan game.

“He said, ‘When you go out on the field, press the kick-ass button,’ ” Jones said. “And that’s all we did. We’re out there just playing out butts off, out there fighting and scrapping and came out and won.”

The four-overtime win came on the heels of a surprising 44-24 loss to Indiana — which started off with the Lions trailing 13-7 at half — and defensive coordinator John Butler said simplifying the mental state of the team, as Robinson helped players do, was extremely important heading into the game.

Whereas a certain level of intensity had been lacking to start off previous games, Jones said once again channeling the energy the Lions played with against Michigan will be crucial moving forward

“We come out, last couple games, we always come out flat. We don’t pick it up until the second half,” Jones said. “And I just keep telling the guys, ‘We got to come out to win. Anger. Frustration. And we’ll just take it out on these guys.’ And we did. From the first play, we set the tone and we carried that momentum on until the fourth overtime.”

One last look…

O’Brien said Tuesday his staff and players have “got to start getting ready for the best team in our conference in Ohio State,” following the bye week and are primarily focused on getting players healthy in the meantime.

However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few plays O’Brien said he’ll most remember from the back-and-forth Michigan game.

“Obviously, the throw from Christian to Allen [Robinson] there at the end of regulation, [Bill Belton’s] fourth-and-1, those are two plays [I’ll remember],” O’Brien said. “I think [Anthony] Zettel’s interception early in the game and [C.J. Olaniyan’s] strip sack there that we had on them at one point. There are four or five plays that stick out, and those are some of them.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)