Penn State merchandise sales down year-to-date - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State merchandise sales down year-to-date

Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:33 pm | Updated: 2:39 pm, Tue Aug 13, 2013.

Penn State collected less royalties on licensed merchandise year-to-date compared to last year.

Penn State’s ranking dropped significantly from last year when it was 12th in the nation -- this year, it stands at 19th. The university was ranked fourth in the Big Ten behind Michigan (4), Wisconsin (13) and Nebraska (14).

University spokeswoman Lisa Powers said via email that the university anticipated the downtrend in merchandise sales, saying retailers were “understandably cautious” in their ordering of merchandise last fall prior to the start of the football season.

Specific figures related to the amount of royalties collected on merchandise weren’t provided. The Collegiate Licensing Company also could not provide figures which represented its most recent university rankings.

On Monday, the CLC released an annual report that identified the top-selling universities and manufacturers for the last fiscal year, which represents royalties collected between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013.

The University of Texas was ranked at No. 1 in the nation for the eighth consecutive year, and Texas A&M saw one of the largest increases, jumping from No. 19 to No. 12.

Powers added that as the football program saw on-field success during the 2012 campaign, merchandise sales did rise. She also said many of the most popular items on clothing racks now are not subject to licensing, such as slogans like ”Billieve” and “O’Brien’s Lions.”

“It would be impossible for a university — or any organization — to experience the unprecedented events that Penn State has been through and not expect some decline in sales,” Powers said.

She said the university believes sales will rebound as coach Bill O’Brien continues to lead the program, and that officials “fully expect” fans to continue to support the university and its athletic programs.

2 comments:

• Jim posted at 1:51 pm on Wed, Aug 14, 2013.

Jim Posts: 1

I would gladly buy more Penn State stuff if I could afford the outlandish prices!! With the price of food, gas, and other staples rising by the day, and my wage hasn't gone up in five years, I can't afford it!! I would be relatively sure I am not the only one who has that problem!!

• CinemaNoir posted at 11:31 am on Wed, Aug 14, 2013.

CinemaNoir Posts: 1

I'm a grad and I would buy some PSU garb if it wasn't manufactured by Nike in some Asian sweatshop..... The "swoosh" on PSU uniforms and all other PSU gear offends me, but that's just me..... Contrary to the thinking of too many, there is NO constitutional guarantee against being offended, so I assuage my offense by refusing to purchase anything produced by, or endorsed by, Nike.

Loading…
Loading…

The Daily Collegian for Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)