Penn State merchandise sales down year-to-date - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State merchandise sales down year-to-date

Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:33 pm | Updated: 2:39 pm, Tue Aug 13, 2013.

Penn State collected less royalties on licensed merchandise year-to-date compared to last year.

Penn State’s ranking dropped significantly from last year when it was 12th in the nation -- this year, it stands at 19th. The university was ranked fourth in the Big Ten behind Michigan (4), Wisconsin (13) and Nebraska (14).

University spokeswoman Lisa Powers said via email that the university anticipated the downtrend in merchandise sales, saying retailers were “understandably cautious” in their ordering of merchandise last fall prior to the start of the football season.

Specific figures related to the amount of royalties collected on merchandise weren’t provided. The Collegiate Licensing Company also could not provide figures which represented its most recent university rankings.

On Monday, the CLC released an annual report that identified the top-selling universities and manufacturers for the last fiscal year, which represents royalties collected between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013.

The University of Texas was ranked at No. 1 in the nation for the eighth consecutive year, and Texas A&M saw one of the largest increases, jumping from No. 19 to No. 12.

Powers added that as the football program saw on-field success during the 2012 campaign, merchandise sales did rise. She also said many of the most popular items on clothing racks now are not subject to licensing, such as slogans like ”Billieve” and “O’Brien’s Lions.”

“It would be impossible for a university — or any organization — to experience the unprecedented events that Penn State has been through and not expect some decline in sales,” Powers said.

She said the university believes sales will rebound as coach Bill O’Brien continues to lead the program, and that officials “fully expect” fans to continue to support the university and its athletic programs.

2 comments:

• Jim posted at 1:51 pm on Wed, Aug 14, 2013.

Jim Posts: 1

I would gladly buy more Penn State stuff if I could afford the outlandish prices!! With the price of food, gas, and other staples rising by the day, and my wage hasn't gone up in five years, I can't afford it!! I would be relatively sure I am not the only one who has that problem!!

• CinemaNoir posted at 11:31 am on Wed, Aug 14, 2013.

CinemaNoir Posts: 1

I'm a grad and I would buy some PSU garb if it wasn't manufactured by Nike in some Asian sweatshop..... The "swoosh" on PSU uniforms and all other PSU gear offends me, but that's just me..... Contrary to the thinking of too many, there is NO constitutional guarantee against being offended, so I assuage my offense by refusing to purchase anything produced by, or endorsed by, Nike.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)