Penn State running back Bill Belton has left 2012 behind him - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State running back Bill Belton has left 2012 behind him

Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:00 am

Bill Belton has been ambiguously open about the changes in his game from last year to now. He’s talked about being “closed” and how an ankle injury slowed him, but he hasn’t gotten into specifics.

Regardless of what the problems were, Penn State’s junior running back has turned a corner and is leaving 2012 behind him.

“I think last year, I was more closed off as a player and person,” Belton said after a 34-0 win over Kent State, “and I think I just opened up more so to the coaching and taking their advice a lot more than last year. It definitely helps.”

Belton was among the top 250 players in the nation in the class of 2011, according to Rivals.com, and was recruited as an athlete before starting his career as wide receiver. Coach Bill O’Brien said one of the first times he saw Belton on the field, he wondered why the 5-foot-10, 205-pound Belton wasn’t a running back. So O’Brien made him one.

“It was going to take time and it wasn’t going to happen overnight,” Belton said.

Things weren’t so rosy in the initial phase of the transition. Despite topping the depth chart at the beginning of last season, Belton injured his ankle in a season-opening loss to Ohio and never fully regained steam. He had one carry in the team’s final four games.

“When you have an injury like that… you try to do things on your own, but [the coaches] did a good job with me and staying in my corner and helping me,” Belton said. “They helped me with my patience, and getting down hill, so totally credit them for that.”

In 2013, Belton has carried 33 times for 253 yards (7.7 per) and two scores. He also caught a touchdown last week against Kent State, his second reception of the year.

Two other running backs have enjoyed success alongside Belton. Redshirt junior Zach Zwinak, who tops the depth chart, has 297 yards on 67 carries and has eight touchdowns, tied for most in the country. Redshirt freshman Akeel Lynch has a pair of 100-yard games.

O’Brien has been pleased with what he’s seen on the ground, and has praised Belton since media day in early August.

“We moved him from receiver to running back; it takes a little time even though he was a high school quarterback,” O’Brien said. “He did well in the summer academically. He had a really good training camp. He’s practiced well and he’s played well.”

The Nittany Lions as a whole, in addition to Belton, have been better on the ground this season. In 2012, they ranked 101st of 124 collegiate teams in yards per carry at 3.64 and 85th in yards per game with 143.9.

This year, Penn State is 49th and 50th in those categories, respectively. And they have fun.

Belton said because he came up a yard short of a touchdown against Kent State, he’ll get hounded in the meeting room for the rest of the week — in a light-hearted way.

“We feed off each other as you can see on the sidelines,” Lynch said. “When one guy scores, we’re happy for him. We just rotate each other, we talk to each other, we communicate with each other. So it’s a very healthy relationship we all have.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)