Penn State continues to cash in on red zone opportunities - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State continues to cash in on red zone opportunities

Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:54 pm

The grass in the end zone at Beaver Stadium may smell the exact same as the grass near midfield to most. But to Adam Gress and his teammates, figuratively, it smells different.

“Whenever you get into the red zone, you have to smell blood. You have to smell the end zone,” Gress, an offensive tackle, said. “You have to be ready to go. We get really excited. You’re right there.”

Penn State has cashed in each opportunity it's had in the red zone so far this season, so whatever the players are smelling appears to be working. Entering Saturday, the Nittany Lions had scored eight touchdowns when in the red zone and kicked two field goals in 10 tries. They were a perfect 5-of-5 with four touchdowns and a field goal in a 34-0 win over Kent State. Bill O’Brien’s squad ranked 83rd in the nation in red zone efficiency at 79 percent last season.

“We want touchdowns when we get down there, but I’m pleased with the production in the red area,” O’Brien said. “…But I think we need to make improvements there and we will.”

Penn State was statistically perfect inside the 20 Saturday, but that room for improvement comes with playcalling first, O’Brien said. The Nittany Lions twice converted fourth downs in the red zone and repeatedly looked to Allen Robinson on a fade route in the end zone, but couldn’t convert any of the attempts.

Instead, it was running backs Bill Belton, Zach Zwinak and Akeel Lynch who finished the job.

“We’re right there and we have to score,” Lynch said, “or we’ll get yelled at Monday morning.”

Zwinak, the biggest of the backs, has eight touchdowns already this season. Belton caught one Saturday, as well.

A big reason for the success, though, is the guidance and poise of freshman quarterback Christian Hackenberg. He hasn’t turned the ball over at all in the red zone and seems confident when nearly at the goal line.

“He’s definitely a guy out there doing the right things,” Gress said. “He’s not your typical freshman. He’s confident in there. He knows how to get the job done in close.”

When Hackenberg and the offense can’t get the job done, there’s always the now-reliable foot of Sam Ficken to make sure Penn State comes away with something.

Ficken has missed just one field goal this season, a 57-yard try, and is 7-of-8 after nailing a 54-yarder and one from 25 against Kent State. After a tumultuous beginning to 2012, he’s turned a major corner.

“Sam has kicked the ball fantastic,” O’Brien said. “That [54-yard field goal] was the longest field goal since [1979]. That’s a heck of a kick.”

O’Brien always wants six points out of a red zone chance, but it’s not reasonable to expect that. Entering Saturday, Penn State was one of 23 teams in the country to get at least three points each time they had entered the red zone. O’Brien says there’s room for improvement, but 93 of a possible 105 points isn’t bad.

“Everyone’s on top of their game, and we let everything click,” Gress said. “Everything comes together and once we’re in the red zone, no one’s going to stop us. We’re going to get in there.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)