Penn State continues to cash in on red zone opportunities - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State continues to cash in on red zone opportunities

Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:54 pm

The grass in the end zone at Beaver Stadium may smell the exact same as the grass near midfield to most. But to Adam Gress and his teammates, figuratively, it smells different.

“Whenever you get into the red zone, you have to smell blood. You have to smell the end zone,” Gress, an offensive tackle, said. “You have to be ready to go. We get really excited. You’re right there.”

Penn State has cashed in each opportunity it's had in the red zone so far this season, so whatever the players are smelling appears to be working. Entering Saturday, the Nittany Lions had scored eight touchdowns when in the red zone and kicked two field goals in 10 tries. They were a perfect 5-of-5 with four touchdowns and a field goal in a 34-0 win over Kent State. Bill O’Brien’s squad ranked 83rd in the nation in red zone efficiency at 79 percent last season.

“We want touchdowns when we get down there, but I’m pleased with the production in the red area,” O’Brien said. “…But I think we need to make improvements there and we will.”

Penn State was statistically perfect inside the 20 Saturday, but that room for improvement comes with playcalling first, O’Brien said. The Nittany Lions twice converted fourth downs in the red zone and repeatedly looked to Allen Robinson on a fade route in the end zone, but couldn’t convert any of the attempts.

Instead, it was running backs Bill Belton, Zach Zwinak and Akeel Lynch who finished the job.

“We’re right there and we have to score,” Lynch said, “or we’ll get yelled at Monday morning.”

Zwinak, the biggest of the backs, has eight touchdowns already this season. Belton caught one Saturday, as well.

A big reason for the success, though, is the guidance and poise of freshman quarterback Christian Hackenberg. He hasn’t turned the ball over at all in the red zone and seems confident when nearly at the goal line.

“He’s definitely a guy out there doing the right things,” Gress said. “He’s not your typical freshman. He’s confident in there. He knows how to get the job done in close.”

When Hackenberg and the offense can’t get the job done, there’s always the now-reliable foot of Sam Ficken to make sure Penn State comes away with something.

Ficken has missed just one field goal this season, a 57-yard try, and is 7-of-8 after nailing a 54-yarder and one from 25 against Kent State. After a tumultuous beginning to 2012, he’s turned a major corner.

“Sam has kicked the ball fantastic,” O’Brien said. “That [54-yard field goal] was the longest field goal since [1979]. That’s a heck of a kick.”

O’Brien always wants six points out of a red zone chance, but it’s not reasonable to expect that. Entering Saturday, Penn State was one of 23 teams in the country to get at least three points each time they had entered the red zone. O’Brien says there’s room for improvement, but 93 of a possible 105 points isn’t bad.

“Everyone’s on top of their game, and we let everything click,” Gress said. “Everything comes together and once we’re in the red zone, no one’s going to stop us. We’re going to get in there.”

Loading…
Loading…

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)