True freshman Brandon Bell makes presence felt against Nebraska - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

True freshman Brandon Bell makes presence felt against Nebraska

Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Brandon Bell is a big piece of the future for Penn State at linebacker, and Saturday, he gave everyone a glimpse of what’s to come.

But linebacker Stephen Obeng-Agyapong insists Bell, a true freshman linebacker, has been doing what he did Saturday all season in practice.

Bell made six tackles and was around the ball often in Penn State’s 23-20, overtime loss to Nebraska at Beaver Stadium. His play at weakside linebacker helped anchor a defense that allowed just 13 points in regulation -- Nebraska’s Kenny Bell took a kick to the house in the third quarter.

Bell is 18-years-old and has seen the field more and more as the season has gone on as he gets acclimated to college life after just five months in the program.

“He’s a real smart guy. He makes up for his size with that,” Obeng-Agyapong said. “He’s not the biggest of the linebackers, but he knows what he’s doing when he gets out there. He has abilities to make plays. You guys can look forward to him making big plays the next few years.”

Penn State entered the season with just six scholarship linebackers. Ben Kline had been limited with a shoulder injury and a chest injury two weeks back ended his season. Mike Hull was bothered by a knee injury for the first half of the season, as well, although he’s back to full strength now.

That’s allowed Bell to work his way into the rotation.

"It's a lot on your plate, it's a lot to learn,” senior linebacker Glenn Carson said of the transition to college football. “He's a smart kid, he's really football-savvy and he was able to get in there and make some really good plays today.”

Obeng-Agyapong said the biggest stride he’s seen in Bell’s game is aggression. As a young player, it’s difficult to be as aggressive because you don’t know how you much you can get away with. More often than not, though, aggression works out in a defensive player’s favor.

“That just comes with the territory,” Obeng-Agyapong said. “He’s definitely more explosive and aggressive. That definitely comes with experience.”

Cornerback Jordan Lucas, who is not one to fear aggression, said Bell has improved greatly since he arrived in June. With veterans like Carson and Mike Hull ahead of him, he’s taken everything in stride. Lucas added that he’s anxious to watch Bell grow even more this offseason.

“He has big shoes to fill, and it’s Linebacker U,” Lucas said. “So I know he’s going to want to be a great linebacker for us.”

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)