Penn State has huge recruiting night landing Sterling Jenkins and Brandon Wimbush - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State has huge recruiting night landing Sterling Jenkins and Brandon Wimbush

• Franklin Counting

James Franklin picked up his second 2016 commitment on Wednesday. 

Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:45 pm

Updated at 7:45 p.m.

Penn State already had a stacked 2015 recruiting class as Rivals.com ranked it the second best in the nation, trailing only Alabama, but the Nittany Lions added to it Tuesday night.

Coach James Franklin and Penn State landed offensive tackle Sterling Jenkins and then shortly after received news quarterback Brandon Wimbush would join Jenkins. Rivals ranked both players as four-star recruits and they become the 14th and 15th members of Penn State's 2015 class that now has a total of 10 four-stars.

Jenkins, who is listed at 6-foot-9 and 308 pounds, is a Pittsburgh native currently playing at Baldwin High School. He is the No. 1 overall recruit in the state of Pennsylvania and No. 6 at his position in the nation. It is the first time since 2006 that Penn State has courted the state's top overall prospect.

He narrowed down his final decision between Penn State and Ohio State but also fielded offers from Michigan and Georgia.

Offensive line coach Herb Hand should be happy as Jenkins joins Steven Gonzalez of Union City, New Jersey and Ryan Bates of Warminster as 2015 four-star offensive line recruits for the Lions.

Wimbush, who also selected Penn State over Ohio State, is a pro-style quarterback listed at 6-foot-2, 208 pounds.

Rivals has Wimbush as the No. 6 pro-style quarterback in the nation for the 2015 class and the No. 5 overall prospect from the state of New Jersey. He received offers from a host of other Big Ten schools including Michigan State and Nebraska and garnered some SEC attention with an offer from LSU and South Carolina.

When it comes time for Wimbush to leave St. Peter's Prep and come to Penn State, current quarterback Christian Hackenberg will be entering his junior season. Wimbush is the only quarterback in the 2015 class as of now.

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)