Penn State has huge recruiting night landing Sterling Jenkins and Brandon Wimbush - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State has huge recruiting night landing Sterling Jenkins and Brandon Wimbush

• Franklin Counting

James Franklin picked up his second 2016 commitment on Wednesday. 

Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:45 pm

Updated at 7:45 p.m.

Penn State already had a stacked 2015 recruiting class as Rivals.com ranked it the second best in the nation, trailing only Alabama, but the Nittany Lions added to it Tuesday night.

Coach James Franklin and Penn State landed offensive tackle Sterling Jenkins and then shortly after received news quarterback Brandon Wimbush would join Jenkins. Rivals ranked both players as four-star recruits and they become the 14th and 15th members of Penn State's 2015 class that now has a total of 10 four-stars.

Jenkins, who is listed at 6-foot-9 and 308 pounds, is a Pittsburgh native currently playing at Baldwin High School. He is the No. 1 overall recruit in the state of Pennsylvania and No. 6 at his position in the nation. It is the first time since 2006 that Penn State has courted the state's top overall prospect.

He narrowed down his final decision between Penn State and Ohio State but also fielded offers from Michigan and Georgia.

Offensive line coach Herb Hand should be happy as Jenkins joins Steven Gonzalez of Union City, New Jersey and Ryan Bates of Warminster as 2015 four-star offensive line recruits for the Lions.

Wimbush, who also selected Penn State over Ohio State, is a pro-style quarterback listed at 6-foot-2, 208 pounds.

Rivals has Wimbush as the No. 6 pro-style quarterback in the nation for the 2015 class and the No. 5 overall prospect from the state of New Jersey. He received offers from a host of other Big Ten schools including Michigan State and Nebraska and garnered some SEC attention with an offer from LSU and South Carolina.

When it comes time for Wimbush to leave St. Peter's Prep and come to Penn State, current quarterback Christian Hackenberg will be entering his junior season. Wimbush is the only quarterback in the 2015 class as of now.