Penn State receiver Allen Robinson would benefit from another year in school, some analysts say - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State receiver Allen Robinson would benefit from another year in school, some analysts say

Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:00 am

Should he stay or should he go?

While star players in other winning programs are gearing up for bowl games in the coming weeks, Penn State’s postseason ineligibility leaves its entire roster already eyeing what’s beyond the postseason horizon. And for one NFL prospect — junior wide receiver Allen Robinson — this likely includes making a complex decision regarding his future.

John Urschel, Glenn Carson and DaQuan Jones (who accepted an invitation to play in the Senior Bowl on Monday) round out the list of seniors expected to hear their names called in the 2014 NFL draft. But the Nittany Lion with perhaps the best chance of shaking commissioner Roger Goodell’s hand on the opening night of draft weekend possesses one more year of eligibility, if Robinson chooses to use it.

The standout wide receiver has done nothing but raise his draft stock after completing a breakout season in 2012, finishing this past season with school records in catches (97) and yards (1,432). Robinson has said he would wait until winter break to make the decision along with his family and the coaching staff, and he has until Jan. 15 to do so. He has also stated that finishing what he started with his teammates and getting his degree — which he’s on pace to complete by next summer — would be potential reasons for why he’d stick around.

But Robinson also hasn’t negated the chance of leaving early for the NFL, and was not made available to Penn State media members for the final few weeks of the season.

Some question whether Robinson, a projected late-first round pick on CBSSports.com’s NFL Draft Tracker, would be able to outdo his impressive 2013 stats and improve his stock further with another season.

However, Gil Brandt — a senior analyst with NFL.com and former vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys who’s been around the league since 1960 — said history shows players who opt to finish their collegiate careers tend to reap the benefits.

“There’s always a few exceptions. Unfortunately, people [mention] the exceptions,” Brandt said in a phone interview. “But, historically, guys that are four-year players end up being drafted higher and end up having a better career and making more money.”

Look no further than former Southern California quarterback Matt Barkley for one of the most publicized of those exceptions. Barkley opted to stay in school for his senior year after being projected by most scouting services to be a sure top-five pick following his junior season. But a disappointing final season in Los Angeles dropped him all the way to the fourth round of the 2013 draft, where the Philadelphia Eagles selected him.

Robinson, of course, isn’t nearly as highly touted as Barkley once was, and Brandt suggests any underclassman projected to be drafted outside the top-10 should definitely stay. But he added that the thought process of “leave while you’re hot” appears far too prominently among talented underclassmen.

And without professionally documented measurables (Robinson has unofficially run a 4.43 40-yard dash), not all analysts are yet convinced Robinson even deserves first-round consideration.

Dan Shonka, a draft analyst and general manager of scouting website ourlads.com, has Robinson projected somewhere in the second- or third-round range. With another year under Robinson’s belt, and a few less game-changing receivers left on the board in the following draft, Shonka agreed that this projection would likely improve with an additional year in school.

“With [Christian] Hackenberg there,” Shonka said, “it wouldn’t be a bad idea to even stay another year, because he’s going to have a pretty good quarterback throwing to him.”

Brandt said one major complication for highly rated underclassmen who are considering the draft is that aggressive NFL agents initiate communication with them while they’re still in the decision stage. This often leads them to have lofty expectations for their draft stock and eventual payday, which is enough to lure some players on the fence, Brandt said.

But whatever Robinson may choose, the NFL-lifer said it should benefit the receiver that Penn State coach Bill O’Brien has spent time in the NFL.

“There isn’t anybody that has more connections in the National Football League than coach O’Brien,” Brandt said. “And I think he’s a pretty square-shooting guy.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)