Last word: Be patient with Hackenberg’s development - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Last word: Be patient with Hackenberg’s development

Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 12:00 am

MINNEAPOLIS — The transition from high school football to college is much different than the move from college to the pros.

When an 18-year-old arrives at his first collegiate practice, he’s not fully developed. He hasn’t been in intensive strength programs for very long and probably isn’t all that mature yet, physically or mentally.

Christian Hackenberg is an 18-year-old kid with a big arm, a sharp mind and a bright future ahead of him. But right now, as a true freshman, he’s not perfect. He’ll continue to grow with each completion, misfire, interception and touchdown.

He was 14-of-25 for 163 yards Saturday against Minnesota and fumbled on the two-yard line late in the fourth quarter with Penn State down two scores.

Despite his physical tools, Hackenberg isn’t 2012 Matt McGloin — a fifth-year senior familiar with his teammates and the program more so than a true freshman who arrived on campus in June. Hackenberg was tasked with leading a team with about 60 scholarship players, far from a perfect or ideal situation for an 18-year-old, as well.

Some fans of the program have been critical of Hackenberg at times. The offense isn’t as good as it was last year, they say.

Just be patient. He’s a pretty good quarterback on his way to being great.

“If you put a young quarterback under pressure and force him to make decisions without his first options, then we'll have a good chance of winning,” Minnesota acting coach Tracy Claeys said.

“He’s a good quarterback,” Minnesota coach Jerry Kill said. “But it still comes down to he’s young. He’s a good quarterback and he’s going to do nothing but get better.”

If Hackenberg takes everything in stride — every road loss, every dropped pass, every three-and-out — he’ll become one of the best quarterbacks in the country. Right now, he ranks eighth in the Big Ten in passer rating.

Just be patient with Hackenberg. He’s not there yet, but he will be, and that’s part of growing up as a college quarterback.

Day to remember

Offense: RB Zach Zwinak

Zwinak had just 11 carries in Penn State’s last 10 quarters of football, but was running well Saturday, so O’Brien continued to call his number.

The redshirt junior finished with 150 yards on 26 carries and paced the Nittany Lions’ offense, which moved the ball but often couldn’t find the end zone.

Defense: DE C.J. Olaniyan

Olaniyan has been quietly disrupting backfields all season. He had 2.5 tackles for loss Saturday and now has 10 for the season, which ranks eighth in the Big Ten. He made six tackles against the Golden Gophers and has been a consistent producer for Penn State’s defense in 2013, ranking first in sacks with four and sixth in tackles with 40.

Day to forget

Offense: WR Brandon Felder

Felder had his chances to make plays with Minnesota double-teaming Allen Robinson on almost every play past midfield. But the senior dropped a few passes, most noticeably in the fourth quarter, and didn’t catch one all afternoon.

Defense: LB Mike Hull

Hull survived a scary-looking play in the first half when Minnesota fullback Mike Henry hit the linebacker low while he was engaged with a blocker. Hull, who dealt with a knee injury for most of the season, reentered the game shortly after and ended up totaling nine tackles. But the expression on his face after the play didn’t look promising.

Extra point

Former Penn State linebacker and current Minnesota Viking Michael Mauti was on the sideline with his father, Rich, for the game Saturday. The fiery rookie didn’t say anything to the team before the game, but was noticeably amped-up at times during it.

Did you notice?

After the game, Minnesota players rushed to grab the Governor’s Bell trophy, which goes to the winner of Penn State and the Golden Gophers’ ‘rivalry’ game, and broke it as they hoisted it as a group. The wood that drapes the bell became disconnected from the base.

Quotable

“Coach Kill means so much to us and he’s that guy that we can go to off the field when we have issues and everything. And to see him come back and you know how much he loves the game, he rallies behind us just as we rally behind him.” — Minnesota punter Peter Mortell on coach Jerry Kill, who has been absent from the team at times this season while dealing with epilepsy. Kill coached from the booth Saturday.

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)