Christian Hackenberg orchestrates improbable final drive to force overtime - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Christian Hackenberg orchestrates improbable final drive to force overtime

Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 12:26 am

Eighty yards. Fifty seconds. Zero timeouts.

Go get ‘em, freshman.

Christian Hackenberg and his Penn State offense were faced with the seemingly impossible task of tying the game against Michigan after the Wolverines milked the clock to under a minute left in regulation, while leading 34-27. But, the 18-year-old quarterback orchestrated an incredibly efficient scoring drive in just 27 seconds to force overtime in the Nittany Lions’ eventual 43-40 quadruple overtime win.

Hackenberg calmly completed passes of 14, 29 and 36 yards, respectively, to set up a one-yard quarterback sneak to culminate the drive.

First, the quarterback — who bounced back from throwing two interceptions earlier in the game to finish with 305 yards and three passing touchdowns — found Robinson for a sideline grab that was originally ruled out of play on the field before being overturned.

Next, Brandon Felder continued his standout performance with a leaping grab in heavy traffic for 29 yards, which led to Penn State spiking the ball on the next play to stop the clock.

Hackenberg then realized the Lions were in striking distance and said he knew what that meant — get the ball in the hands of Allen Robinson, the man with a 38-inch vertical jump.

“Understanding the type of talent that Allen has, and understanding the situation,” Hackenberg said of his mindset on the final drive in regulation. “I’m going to try to get the ball in his hands.”

The resulting play required Robinson to utilize almost every inch of his vertical jump, as he spectacularly caught the ball before landing in bounds at the one-yard line.

Coach Bill O’Brien said the coaching staff had plenty of confidence in its two-minute drill playcalling.

“We were able to come up with some big plays,” O’Brien said. “I think Christian is a very mature quarterback for being 18 years old. He’s a fun guy to coach and some of that was training and it paid off.”

The second-year coach added that players have faced those types of improbable situations every single day in practice, helping prepare them for the real deal.

Offensive tackle Donovan Smith said O’Brien throws such crazy situations at players that they sometimes “look at him like he’s ridiculous.” But Robinson said this all paid off Saturday night.

“From the time camp started to now we've probably run 100 two-minute drills with 30 seconds remaining, 50 seconds remaining, zero timeouts, one timeout,” Robinson said.

The Lions showed great poise in coming back from a 10-point deficit with less than 10 minutes to play, and the unlikely successful final drive left the 100,000-plus fans on hand in a frenzy.

Yet, Hackenberg, despite entering such a pressure-filled situation, said the five-play, 80-yard drive began with a central message.

“As a unit, we were just like, ’Hey, we got the ball. We got a shot. We practice this every day,” Hackenberg said. “ ‘This is why we came here. This is the type of moment that we want to exceed in.’ And we did. We pulled it out.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)