Bill O’Brien’s recruiting strategy focuses on previously uncharted territory - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Bill O’Brien’s recruiting strategy focuses on previously uncharted territory

Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Penn State has always been a place where players from Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey dreamed of attending. Smack dab in the middle of central Pa., Happy Valley is rife with regional athletes from less than 300 miles away.

But coach Bill O’Brien said Tuesday that the coaching staff is working to expand its geographic reign to Ohio — a state the previous staff hadn’t often tapped into. And after reeling in three southern players in his 2013 recruiting class, the second year head coach said the South would be a region the staff hopes to continue rigorously recruiting in.

Geographically speaking, it’s evident O’Brien has expanded Penn State’s reach in just the two years the recruiter has been in Happy Valley. This week, Massachusetts running back Johnathan Thomas verbally committed to Penn State, hailing from a state where Joe Paterno’s staff had rarely recruited in.

Similarly, the 2014 class holds commitments from De’Andre Thompkins, of Swansboro, N. C.; and Michael O’Connor, a four-star quarterback from Bradenton, Fla. O’Brien and his staff also successfully signed Parker Cothren of Alabama, Steven Bench and Kasey Gaines of Georgia and Neiko Robinson of Florida for the 2012 and 2013 classes.

“We’ll continue to recruit in the Deep South, in the South, because we have connections down there,” O’Brien said after National Signing Day in February. “…That gives us a pretty good, diverse mix of guys when you look at the geography of our roster. We have a decent number of guys from the South on our roster, the bulk of the guys are from the Northeast.”

The reasons behind the extension are obvious. Thomas went to the same high school as O’Brien, who has said himself that the staff needs to do a better job recruiting in New England. O’Brien also spent six years at Georgia Tech and has two assistants in Mac McWhorter and Anthony Midget who have roots in the South.

Despite losing former defensive coordinator Ted Roof — who has a solid presence in the South — to Georgia Tech, O’Brien said the staff would continue to search for talented athletes south of Maryland and Virginia.

The South is a hotbed for football talent, evidenced by the SEC’s dominance in the college football realm, but Paterno’s staff didn’t tap into the region. Between 2007 and 2011, Penn State signed only six athletes from the Deep South, including Patrick and Michael Mauti who came to Happy Valley to attend their father's alma mater.

The 2011 and 2012 classes didn’t include one player who committed to Paterno that was from south of Tennessee.

There’s still obvious problems with the model. Attempting to pull southern athletes to a school in the North is difficult. Of Penn State’s three southern signees in the 2013 class, only Cothren had scholarship offers from SEC schools.

Only time will tell if O’Brien’s model of a broader recruiting realm geographically will translate to on-field success. But the longer O’Brien sticks around, the better of a chance that translation could happen.

Loading…
Loading…

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)