Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK

Steven Petrella

Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 12:00 am, Tue Oct 8, 2013.

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana.

And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers.

But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Check message boards, Twitter and Penn State football’s official Facebook page, and there’s been a lot of talk about the “new normal” — that a 20-point loss at Indiana, the first in school history, is the present and future of this program.

Take this post on a Scout.com message board, for example.

“I think we may have been premature in anointing O’Brien as the savior of PSU football. I know the sanctions have taken their toll on depth, Hack and a lot of the skill guys and secondary players are young, but still this is an embarrassment. If nothing else, we wont have to worry about losing our head coach to the NFL anytime soon. Once we get full scholarships again, maybe our new AD can see what other HC options are out there.”

To some, the “new normal” is a high-flying aerial offense with zero emphasis on defense or the ground, and to them, O’Brien isn’t the right fit anymore.

The “new normal” is getting blown out by teams Penn State has historically dominated.

But really, the new normal is that the Penn State’s football team isn’t perfect. It’s young and inexperienced. Talented but raw.

Bill O’Brien and his players want to be perfect, and they hate losing. But with 61 scholarships, a second-year coach and a first-year defensive coordinator, not everything will go smoothly. There will be several more days like Saturday in the next few years, but there will be much, much better ones, as well.

And that’s OK. We should have high expectations for this team, but need to understand that perfection is simply unachievable right now.

Most of what has been said by fans since Saturday’s loss is a gross overreaction, because that’s what fans do. When O’Brien was relatively unknown and hired to lead a program surrounded by uncertainty, these same people melted down because they wanted a big name. When Penn State dropped its first two games in 2012, they said the same things they’re saying now — losing is the “new normal” for Penn State football.

Then everything changed when the Nittany Lions finished the year winning eight of 10. Penn State football was back.

Last year’s success definitely raised expectations. Because the team got better as the season went on, that success was supposed to carry over to 2013 with no speed bumps.

Now, it’s criticism, criticism and more criticism of O’Brien’s playcalling and defensive coordinator John Butler’s preparation.

I’m guessing most of these people have coached as many downs of football as I have, which is zero. That’s fewer than O’Brien. So don’t act like a coach, because while we’re doing our jobs, O’Brien is putting twice as much time into preparing for that week’s football game.

It’s not just limited to irrational fans, though. Fans are irrational all the time, not just right now, so it’s not fair to isolate this incident.

Several former players took to Twitter to criticize Penn State’s performance against Indiana.

Certainly in his right, Michael Robinson tweeted this after the game:

Wow times have changed! I can’t remember ever losing to U. of Indiana. PSU has played well in spots but lack that killer instinct.

Robinson was on a 2004 team that needed a goal-line stand late in the fourth quarter to upend Indiana at Memorial Stadium.

Times haven’t changed. Penn State has talent and coaches to utilize it. Neither party executed what it had to on Saturday, and that will happen, because this team isn’t perfect.

That’s the new normal, and it’s not a problem. That’s just how it is right now.

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)