James Franklin and Penn State football staff welcome first 2015 verbal commits - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

James Franklin and Penn State football staff welcome first 2015 verbal commits

Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:43 pm

After being behind the eight ball trying to solidify the 2014 recruiting class in a matter of weeks, James Franklin and his staff are making it a point to get a jumpstart on the 2015 class.

Their efforts are seemingly paying off after the results of Saturday's Junior Day. Franklin and company picked up their first verbal commitments of the 2015 class in two athletes — Jarvis Miller and Kamonte Carter — and offensive lineman Ryan Bates, according to Ryan Snyder of Blue-White Illustrated, .

Miller, the first to commit, is a two-star prospect from Connecticut and held previous interest from Vanderbilt. Miller is listed at 6-foot-2, 185 pounds.

Carter, a four-star prospect, hails from Maryland, a traditional pipeline state for Penn State in past years. The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder also held offers from Michigan, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Nebraska and others.

The third is Bates, a four-star offensive tackle coming from Archbishop Wood Catholic high school in Warminster, Pa. The school is a short distance from Langhorne, Pa. — Franklin's hometown.

Bates was also sought after early in the recruiting process, garnering offers from Auburn, Miami (Fla.), Ohio State, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, and others.

With even more recruits on campus for Junior Day, additional verbal commitments aren't out of the question.

Stay with The Daily Collegian for further updates.

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)