Zayd Issah’s dropped aggravated assault charge issued in error - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Zayd Issah’s dropped aggravated assault charge issued in error

Zayd Issah

Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 2:47 pm | Updated: 2:37 pm, Tue Aug 13, 2013.

Former Penn State linebacker recruit Zayd Issah's initial charges still stand, Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller said via email.

Court documents show Issah is facing only misdemeanor charges with regard to a July incident in State College, in which he was charged with assaulting an officer. These court documents, which show a felony aggravated assault charge was "withdrawn," were issued in error, Parks Miller said.

Issah, 18, of Harrisburg, still faces a felony aggravated assault charge in addition to resisting arrest counts and a possession of a small amount of marijuana charge. 

"We didn’t drop any charges," Parks Miller said. "His original charges will go on to court."

Issah was arrested in July in State College after police said he was approached by officers in an apartment building, and then attempted to flee. Four officers were needed to take Issah into custody and one officer was injured in the process, police said.

The touted class of 2013 recruit waived a preliminary hearing in the case last week. He’s out on $20,000 bail.

The arrest in State College came just days after Issah was admitted into an Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program in Dauphin County following a counterfeit cash scheme he’d been allegedly involved with last March.

At the request of Dauphin County District Attorney Ed Marsico, Issah’s ARD status could be stripped and felony forgery and conspiracy charges could be reinstated. A hearing to decide the fate of those charges is taking place on Aug. 21, according to court documents.

Penn State head coach Bill O’Brien has said Issah’s arrests will keep him from playing football at Penn State.

Collegian staff writer Shannon Sweeney contributed to this report.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)