Zayd Issah’s dropped aggravated assault charge issued in error - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Zayd Issah’s dropped aggravated assault charge issued in error

Zayd Issah

Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 2:47 pm | Updated: 2:37 pm, Tue Aug 13, 2013.

Former Penn State linebacker recruit Zayd Issah's initial charges still stand, Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller said via email.

Court documents show Issah is facing only misdemeanor charges with regard to a July incident in State College, in which he was charged with assaulting an officer. These court documents, which show a felony aggravated assault charge was "withdrawn," were issued in error, Parks Miller said.

Issah, 18, of Harrisburg, still faces a felony aggravated assault charge in addition to resisting arrest counts and a possession of a small amount of marijuana charge. 

"We didn’t drop any charges," Parks Miller said. "His original charges will go on to court."

Issah was arrested in July in State College after police said he was approached by officers in an apartment building, and then attempted to flee. Four officers were needed to take Issah into custody and one officer was injured in the process, police said.

The touted class of 2013 recruit waived a preliminary hearing in the case last week. He’s out on $20,000 bail.

The arrest in State College came just days after Issah was admitted into an Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program in Dauphin County following a counterfeit cash scheme he’d been allegedly involved with last March.

At the request of Dauphin County District Attorney Ed Marsico, Issah’s ARD status could be stripped and felony forgery and conspiracy charges could be reinstated. A hearing to decide the fate of those charges is taking place on Aug. 21, according to court documents.

Penn State head coach Bill O’Brien has said Issah’s arrests will keep him from playing football at Penn State.

Collegian staff writer Shannon Sweeney contributed to this report.

Things you need to know

Your Take

Loading…
Loading…