‘Sweet Caroline’ played Saturday, will continue to be - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

‘Sweet Caroline’ played Saturday, will continue to be

• Sweet Caroline

Penn State students are excited about the return of Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" to the football games and sing along at Saturday's game against Kent State, the Nittany Lions won 34-0.

Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:00 am

Neil Diamond probably never guessed his hit song would be cause for so much unabashed pandemonium.

But thousands of fans roared Saturday when his “Sweet Caroline” blared through Beaver Stadium for the first time since the end of the 2011 football season. The university said in August 2012 it would cease playing the song, but said the reason was simply that it was being rotated out of the playlist.

Meanwhile, Nittany Lions fans speculated the reason for the song’s hiatus was in response to the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse case. Leading into the song’s chorus, one of the most famous lines is “touching me, touching you.”

Sandusky, 69, is currently serving a 30- to 60-year prison sentence for molesting 10 boys in and around the Penn State campus and in his State College home.

Whatever the reason for its disappearance, “Sweet Caroline” is back for more than just a game.

Penn State football spokesman Jeff Nelson said based on crowd response Saturday, the 1969 single will likely be played again this season, but not necessarily at every home game.

The week of the Eastern Michigan game, Nelson said, athletics launched the Gameday Music Crew which allows fans to vote on specific songs they want to hear at home games, whether they be recorded music or songs the Blue Band takes on. Sweet Caroline was consistently coming in as a write-in fan favorite, therefore, it was resurrected.

But Penn State trustee Ted Brown said “hallway conversations” have been in the works for months between several trustees and athletic director Dave Joyner regarding bringing the song back into the stadium lineup, but the topic was not discussed during Thursday and Friday’s board meetings.

Brown said he was told by Joyner that the song would be played during or prior to the Michigan game on October 12.

“I was surprised and delighted,” Brown said, “and the crowd reaction was just what I expected it would be.”

Trustee Anthony Lubrano, who was one of the trustees involved in talks to bring back “Sweet Caroline,” said he’s “sure” the song was brought back by popular demand, but remains unconvinced as to why it was taken off the stadium playlist in the first place.

1 comment:

• kill_me posted at 9:10 am on Tue, Sep 24, 2013.

kill_me Posts: 2

GREAT

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)