‘Sweet Caroline’ played Saturday, will continue to be - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

‘Sweet Caroline’ played Saturday, will continue to be

• Sweet Caroline

Penn State students are excited about the return of Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" to the football games and sing along at Saturday's game against Kent State, the Nittany Lions won 34-0.

Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:00 am

Neil Diamond probably never guessed his hit song would be cause for so much unabashed pandemonium.

But thousands of fans roared Saturday when his “Sweet Caroline” blared through Beaver Stadium for the first time since the end of the 2011 football season. The university said in August 2012 it would cease playing the song, but said the reason was simply that it was being rotated out of the playlist.

Meanwhile, Nittany Lions fans speculated the reason for the song’s hiatus was in response to the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse case. Leading into the song’s chorus, one of the most famous lines is “touching me, touching you.”

Sandusky, 69, is currently serving a 30- to 60-year prison sentence for molesting 10 boys in and around the Penn State campus and in his State College home.

Whatever the reason for its disappearance, “Sweet Caroline” is back for more than just a game.

Penn State football spokesman Jeff Nelson said based on crowd response Saturday, the 1969 single will likely be played again this season, but not necessarily at every home game.

The week of the Eastern Michigan game, Nelson said, athletics launched the Gameday Music Crew which allows fans to vote on specific songs they want to hear at home games, whether they be recorded music or songs the Blue Band takes on. Sweet Caroline was consistently coming in as a write-in fan favorite, therefore, it was resurrected.

But Penn State trustee Ted Brown said “hallway conversations” have been in the works for months between several trustees and athletic director Dave Joyner regarding bringing the song back into the stadium lineup, but the topic was not discussed during Thursday and Friday’s board meetings.

Brown said he was told by Joyner that the song would be played during or prior to the Michigan game on October 12.

“I was surprised and delighted,” Brown said, “and the crowd reaction was just what I expected it would be.”

Trustee Anthony Lubrano, who was one of the trustees involved in talks to bring back “Sweet Caroline,” said he’s “sure” the song was brought back by popular demand, but remains unconvinced as to why it was taken off the stadium playlist in the first place.

1 comment:

• kill_me posted at 9:10 am on Tue, Sep 24, 2013.

kill_me Posts: 2

GREAT

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)