Neiko Robinson no longer with team - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Neiko Robinson no longer with team

Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:00 am

Less than three weeks ago, Bill O’Brien raved about the character of incoming freshman Neiko Robinson and his family, who drove the defensive back all the way from Florida to State College.

Robinson, however, is now no longer with the team, O’Brien announced at a press conference Tuesday.

The Penn State coach said that the three-star recruit is no longer in the program and won’t be with the Nittany Lions in the future, either.

“Neiko’s not here,” O’Brien said. “What I’m going to tell you on that is [his departure] is between Neiko and myself.”

But, the Lions’ coach still praised Robinson even after his departure.

O’Brien emphasized that it wasn’t a disciplinary issue with the Florida native that led to his departure.

“Neiko is a fantastic kid,” O’Brien said. “It had nothing to do with discipline. Nothing. This kid is a fantastic kid. It just didn’t work out here at Penn State. He will end up somewhere, but he won’t be at Penn State.”

The safety arrived in the summer later than the other players’ June enrollment date.

O’Brien said on August 8 that Robinson’s late arrival stemmed from “all the clearinghouse and NCAA deals.” The NCAA eligibility center, formerly known as the NCAA clearinghouse, handles the academic eligibility of incoming freshmen.

And despite concerns about his size, O’Brien liked Robinson’s athleticism and attitude in early August.

“What a great kid. What a fantastic kid,” O’Brien said at the team’s media day. “He’s athletic. He’s got to put some weight on. He’s got a long way to go to be able to play for us, but we’re sure glad that he made it here. We’re happy to have him. Good, bright-eyed kid.”

Loading…
Loading…

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)