Neiko Robinson no longer with team - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Neiko Robinson no longer with team

Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:00 am

Less than three weeks ago, Bill O’Brien raved about the character of incoming freshman Neiko Robinson and his family, who drove the defensive back all the way from Florida to State College.

Robinson, however, is now no longer with the team, O’Brien announced at a press conference Tuesday.

The Penn State coach said that the three-star recruit is no longer in the program and won’t be with the Nittany Lions in the future, either.

“Neiko’s not here,” O’Brien said. “What I’m going to tell you on that is [his departure] is between Neiko and myself.”

But, the Lions’ coach still praised Robinson even after his departure.

O’Brien emphasized that it wasn’t a disciplinary issue with the Florida native that led to his departure.

“Neiko is a fantastic kid,” O’Brien said. “It had nothing to do with discipline. Nothing. This kid is a fantastic kid. It just didn’t work out here at Penn State. He will end up somewhere, but he won’t be at Penn State.”

The safety arrived in the summer later than the other players’ June enrollment date.

O’Brien said on August 8 that Robinson’s late arrival stemmed from “all the clearinghouse and NCAA deals.” The NCAA eligibility center, formerly known as the NCAA clearinghouse, handles the academic eligibility of incoming freshmen.

And despite concerns about his size, O’Brien liked Robinson’s athleticism and attitude in early August.

“What a great kid. What a fantastic kid,” O’Brien said at the team’s media day. “He’s athletic. He’s got to put some weight on. He’s got a long way to go to be able to play for us, but we’re sure glad that he made it here. We’re happy to have him. Good, bright-eyed kid.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)