Penn State oversold student tickets for Michigan game, offers alternate ticket plans - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||
Melting in the Student Section

Penn State oversold student tickets for Michigan game, offers alternate ticket plans

Posted: Monday, October 7, 2013 7:52 pm | Updated: 11:30 pm, Mon Oct 7, 2013.

UPDATED:

Penn State athletics sent an email to all student ticket holders Monday night announcing that the soldout Michigan game on Saturday is anticipating more students than the student section can handle.

Penn State Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Jeff Nelson said about 1,100 student tickets were drawn from the Upper South deck for this game in order to accommodate a  summer Ticketmaster glitch for freshmen ticket buyers.

The athletics department admitted its miscalculation and in order to ensure the section is not overcrowded, Penn State is offering three incentivized trade-in options that would relocate students to a chairback seat in the Upper South end zone.

The three trade-in options would allow willing students to acquire one of the following: 50 percent off a guaranteed student season ticket for 2014, or two tickets to next year's homecoming game; a THON donation from Penn State of $200 in your name; or pregame on-field access to a future home game in 2013.

In addition to the relocated seat, each student would receive $10 Lion Cash credit and an official 2013 Whiteout T-shirt.

"Our error. Your benefit," the email read.

Nelson said the athletic department has been aware of the issue for some time, but did not promote the offer until Monday to make sure the incentives would be doable based on upcoming ticket sales.

“It was an error that occurred back in the student ticket sale back in June with the Ticketmaster sale,” Nelson said. “Unfortunately, that occurred and then we ended up finding out that the student tickets were oversold.”

Although the game was already said to be sold out, Nelson said the exchange would allow any willing student to find a seat in the Upper South section.

The offer expires Thursday at midnight, less than two days prior to the Saturday game set to kick off at 5 p.m.

Things you need to know

Your Take

Loading…
Loading…