Penn State oversold student tickets for Michigan game, offers alternate ticket plans - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State oversold student tickets for Michigan game, offers alternate ticket plans

Posted: Monday, October 7, 2013 7:52 pm | Updated: 11:30 pm, Mon Oct 7, 2013.

UPDATED:

Penn State athletics sent an email to all student ticket holders Monday night announcing that the soldout Michigan game on Saturday is anticipating more students than the student section can handle.

Penn State Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Jeff Nelson said about 1,100 student tickets were drawn from the Upper South deck for this game in order to accommodate a  summer Ticketmaster glitch for freshmen ticket buyers.

The athletics department admitted its miscalculation and in order to ensure the section is not overcrowded, Penn State is offering three incentivized trade-in options that would relocate students to a chairback seat in the Upper South end zone.

The three trade-in options would allow willing students to acquire one of the following: 50 percent off a guaranteed student season ticket for 2014, or two tickets to next year's homecoming game; a THON donation from Penn State of $200 in your name; or pregame on-field access to a future home game in 2013.

In addition to the relocated seat, each student would receive $10 Lion Cash credit and an official 2013 Whiteout T-shirt.

"Our error. Your benefit," the email read.

Nelson said the athletic department has been aware of the issue for some time, but did not promote the offer until Monday to make sure the incentives would be doable based on upcoming ticket sales.

“It was an error that occurred back in the student ticket sale back in June with the Ticketmaster sale,” Nelson said. “Unfortunately, that occurred and then we ended up finding out that the student tickets were oversold.”

Although the game was already said to be sold out, Nelson said the exchange would allow any willing student to find a seat in the Upper South section.

The offer expires Thursday at midnight, less than two days prior to the Saturday game set to kick off at 5 p.m.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)