Penn State oversold student tickets for Michigan game, offers alternate ticket plans - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State oversold student tickets for Michigan game, offers alternate ticket plans

Posted: Monday, October 7, 2013 7:52 pm | Updated: 11:30 pm, Mon Oct 7, 2013.

UPDATED:

Penn State athletics sent an email to all student ticket holders Monday night announcing that the soldout Michigan game on Saturday is anticipating more students than the student section can handle.

Penn State Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Jeff Nelson said about 1,100 student tickets were drawn from the Upper South deck for this game in order to accommodate a  summer Ticketmaster glitch for freshmen ticket buyers.

The athletics department admitted its miscalculation and in order to ensure the section is not overcrowded, Penn State is offering three incentivized trade-in options that would relocate students to a chairback seat in the Upper South end zone.

The three trade-in options would allow willing students to acquire one of the following: 50 percent off a guaranteed student season ticket for 2014, or two tickets to next year's homecoming game; a THON donation from Penn State of $200 in your name; or pregame on-field access to a future home game in 2013.

In addition to the relocated seat, each student would receive $10 Lion Cash credit and an official 2013 Whiteout T-shirt.

"Our error. Your benefit," the email read.

Nelson said the athletic department has been aware of the issue for some time, but did not promote the offer until Monday to make sure the incentives would be doable based on upcoming ticket sales.

“It was an error that occurred back in the student ticket sale back in June with the Ticketmaster sale,” Nelson said. “Unfortunately, that occurred and then we ended up finding out that the student tickets were oversold.”

Although the game was already said to be sold out, Nelson said the exchange would allow any willing student to find a seat in the Upper South section.

The offer expires Thursday at midnight, less than two days prior to the Saturday game set to kick off at 5 p.m.

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)