Penn State’s defense got a lesson in speed from Central Florida - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State’s defense got a lesson in speed from Central Florida

Steven Petrella

Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 12:00 am

Penn State’s defense got a pop quiz in speed Saturday and failed. It couldn’t slow down Central Florida and quarterback Blake Bortles because it got limited pressure and were simply slower than the Knights through most of the first three quarters.

“We felt good going in that we knew what we had to do to stop them,” Penn State defensive coordinator John Butler said, “and to be honest with you, we couldn’t stop what we needed to stop — by scheme, coaches-wise and players.”

Blame, defensively at least, should be placed all across the board for the 34-31 loss. Penn State allowed touchdown drives of 89, 64 and 89 yards in the first half, so it seemed both coaches and players weren’t ready. The defense limited UCF to just 13 points in the second half and seemed better prepared after getting 15 minutes to adjust.

Safety Malcolm Willis and defensive tackle DaQuan Jones said Butler didn’t change much at halftime, minus a few minor adjustments. They stuck to their gameplan, but it didn’t come through until the fourth quarter.

“We tried everything,” Butler said. “That’s one thing I know I can say, we emptied the game plan. We tried to play man, we tried to play zone, we tried to play half-man, half-zone. They did a good job.”

Last season, Penn State prided itself on starting fast. The team outscored its opponents 97-20 in the first quarter. This season, it’s 14-14 in the opening quarter through three games.

That’s not a bad number, but when it comes down to it, 31 points and 455 yards of total offense at home should be enough to get Penn State past Central Florida. The slow start really doomed the Nittany Lions, as they were forced to play catch-up all night.

Cornerback Jordan Lucas equated the learning experience to an exam.

“Definitely I feel like it was a test for us, it’s just like in school,” Lucas said. “When you have that first test and you see something like it again on the final, you know the answer. I think it’s good that we saw this early.”

But the test Bortles gave Penn State’s defense was a difficult one, and he knew it. The redshirt junior quarterback played with a chip on his shoulder and had something to prove.

As Penn State closed the gap to seven in the fourth quarter, he never lost confidence.

“I knew we’d be alright. They hadn’t stopped us all night,” Bortles said. “The only way they stopped us was us stopping ourselves. We knew were fine. We just had to stay calm and get two first downs, and run the clock out.”

The unique thing about Penn State’s sanction years is that at the end of the day, a loss doesn’t kill any end of the season hopes. There’s no bowl game or conference title to contend for, so as long as the Nittany Lions get better as the season progresses and don’t repeat the same mistakes, there’s a positive to take away. They did it last season.

“If there's one thing people around here know about our players, it's that they've been through a lot worse than losing to Central Florida,” Butler said. “Their confidence is going to be shaken, like it always is after a loss. But they'll come back and like coach O’Brien said, put their nose to the grindstone, correct what we have to correct and move forward.”

Loading…
Loading…

The Daily Collegian for Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)