Grading the Nittany Lion offense vs. Indiana - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Grading the Nittany Lion offense vs. Indiana

Posted: Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:05 pm

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- It was a sloppy and inconsistent offensive showing for Penn State Saturday, as the Nittany Lions dropped their Big Ten opener to Indiana, 44-24.

Coach Bill O’Brien said after the game that he and his staff had coached “average,” and it felt like much of the offense’s performance could be described in the same way.

Here’s our grades for the Penn State offense:

Quarterbacks

True freshman Christian Hackenberg responded with an “I don’t know” when asked Saturday if he’s regressed as a player since the beginning of the season. The 18-year-old started off stellar in the first three games, and while he had what many would consider a bad game today, the numbers were still there. The signal caller went 30-for-55 and logged 331 yards on the day. So while Penn State’s major offensive problem was that it couldn’t generate a rushing attack, Hackenberg listened to his coach and fired off a school record in passing attempts. But the quarterback’s age was on display after a number of bad checks and poor decisions. He threw into tight coverage at least five times, coming close to tossing several interceptions.

Grade: C

Running backs

Despite the Lions’ inability to generate a rushing attack today against what was previously the worst run defense in the conference, the running backs don’t get a bad grade. Penn State posted 101 rushing yards on 37 attempts combined – these athletes didn’t get the opportunity to display their talent. With Hackenberg attempting 55 passes, the running game took a backseat to the passing one. Zach Zwinak led the unit with 72 yards on 17 carries, while Bill Belton logged 31 yards on 10 attempts.

Grade: B

Receivers

Allen Robinson’s stock continues to rise as observers realize the Nittany Lions may not find a consistent second receiving option to the star athlete. Robinson accounted for half of Hackenberg’s passing yards, catching for 173 yards on 12 catches, meanwhile recording two touchdowns. The next-best option to him is nonexistent. Tight end Kyle Carter has been inconsistent all year, his best game coming today, catching six passes for 79 yards. After him, redshirt freshman Eugene Lewis grabbed six tosses for 35. Hackenberg needs another reliable weapon.

Grade: C-

Offensive line

Like the rest of Penn State’s sluggish offense, the line didn’t play up to expectations today, but also didn’t make game-changing errors. As has been the anthem, Penn State couldn’t get a rushing attack going, but that can be attributed more to play-calling and less to offensive line performance. Guard Miles Dieffenbach said it best after the game. He said: “If we were playing up to our expectations, we would be 5-0.”

Grade: C

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)