Christian Hackenberg working to add mobility to his skill arsenal - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Christian Hackenberg working to add mobility to his skill arsenal

• Hackenberg rushes touchdown

Christian Hackenberg (14) rushes for a touchdown for Penn State against Illinois Saturday afternoon. The Nittany Lions beat the Fighting Illini 24-17.

Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 12:00 am

Scoring two rushing touchdowns in eight games doesn’t necessarily correspond with being a mobile, dual-threat quarterback. And pocket passer Christian Hackenberg hardly fits that bill.

But the signal caller used his legs to score an impressive nine-yard touchdown Saturday against Illinois. The freshman, who hasn’t proven particularly mobile thus far, said after the game he hopes to use his legs more moving forward.

“It’s still coming to fruition, just being able to adjust to the speed,” Hackenberg said. “I definitely work on that in practice, just understanding if it’s not there… just take my time and put my head down and go and get some type of yardage.”

That’s exactly what the 18-year-old did. In the second quarter following a delay of game penalty, Hackenberg and Co. were set up on second down with nine yards between them and the goal line.

The quarterback took the snap, dropped back several yards, went through his reads, and saw the Illini had dropped back the majority of their defenders into coverage. He saw a lane, stepped up and went with it.

Hackenberg ran straight down the middle, eluded one Illinois defender, was surrounded by five more at the two-yard line and lunged headfirst into the end zone for a score. Despite the ball popping out after stretching for the touchdown, officials ruled that the freshman had broken the plane before the drop and gotten the score.

Coach Bill O’Brien said after the game that Hackenberg has had opportunities to use his legs all season but has hesitated and held onto the ball too long. The freshman has attributed many of the 19 sacks he’s taken to holding on longer than he should have.

Naturally, the passer is trying to drive the ball downfield with his arm.

“We’ve worked in practice on some scramble drills, because he can run,” O’Brien said. “He’s a good athlete. He took advantage of that on that play. I think we’ve got to teach him to get his pads down, though.”

Quarterback guru George Whitfield, who operates his own quarterback academy and worked with Hackenberg this past summer, said Hackenberg has the athletic ability to be mobile and use his legs to cause problems for defenses.

“He’s your prototypical 6-4, 225-pound guy who, if he leaves the pocket, that could be 20, 30, 40 yards downfield, and if you try to tackle him, that’s a business decision you got to make,” Whitfield said in October.

He added that the young quarterback’s ability as a runner is a product of his competitiveness and willingness to keep on learning.

“He’s stolen some first downs with the sneak, he’s extended some plays, he’s been hit in the mouth one play, comes right back and makes a big third down play,” Whitfield said. “All those sorts of things kind of go to the competitiveness. Are your gloves always up?”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)