10 Players to Watch: Kyle Carter establishing himself as security blanket - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

10 Players to Watch: Kyle Carter establishing himself as security blanket

Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 8:31 am, Mon Aug 26, 2013.

Series note: This is the fifth in a 10-part series examining 10 Penn State football players to watch through the 2013 season.

Kyle Carter doesn’t have to verbalize to quarterbacks that he’s their safety net when situations get dicey. They already know.

The Nittany Lions’ tight end corps, arguably the team’s deepest unit, is expected to provide two, three and four viable options for whomever will appear under center this season and will be vital targets in blitz situations.

“It’s not something we have to tell them before the play,” Carter said. “It’s really a thing coach [Bill] O’Brien lets them know. If it’s a blitz or something, they can throw the ball right to us.”

The 2012 first-team All-Big Ten selection hailing from Bear, Del. had a surprising breakout season last year, catching 36 passes for 453 yards and two touchdowns, making him one of the most productive pass-catching tight ends in the conference. On the team, his numbers were second to only wide receiver Allen Robinson.

A wrist injury suffered against Nebraska cut Carter’s season short by two games, but the redshirt sophomore was healthy by the start of training camp, and said during camp he’s felt good.

The 6-foot-3, 240-pounder is expected to best the numbers he posted last season. He’s put on size and appeared in ESPN’s “Training Days” special catching every pass tossed his way by quarterback options Christian Hackenberg and Tyler Ferguson.

NFL-style sets featuring three and four tight ends are expected to be commonplace through the 2013 campaign, with talents like Jesse James, Matt Lehman and true freshman Adam Breneman working under tight ends coach John Strollo.

“I feel like we have big things ahead for us,” Carter said. “It’s definitely a big year for us and just having a new quarterback, I feel like we definitely have to be that safety valve for them.”

Carter was selected to the Sporting News Pre-season All-Big Ten squad and was also named to the watch list for the 2013 John Mackey Award, which is presented to the nation’s top collegiate tight end. Carter is one of only three sophomores on the 37-player Mackey Award watch list.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)