10 Players to Watch: Kyle Carter establishing himself as security blanket - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

10 Players to Watch: Kyle Carter establishing himself as security blanket

Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 8:31 am, Mon Aug 26, 2013.

Series note: This is the fifth in a 10-part series examining 10 Penn State football players to watch through the 2013 season.

Kyle Carter doesn’t have to verbalize to quarterbacks that he’s their safety net when situations get dicey. They already know.

The Nittany Lions’ tight end corps, arguably the team’s deepest unit, is expected to provide two, three and four viable options for whomever will appear under center this season and will be vital targets in blitz situations.

“It’s not something we have to tell them before the play,” Carter said. “It’s really a thing coach [Bill] O’Brien lets them know. If it’s a blitz or something, they can throw the ball right to us.”

The 2012 first-team All-Big Ten selection hailing from Bear, Del. had a surprising breakout season last year, catching 36 passes for 453 yards and two touchdowns, making him one of the most productive pass-catching tight ends in the conference. On the team, his numbers were second to only wide receiver Allen Robinson.

A wrist injury suffered against Nebraska cut Carter’s season short by two games, but the redshirt sophomore was healthy by the start of training camp, and said during camp he’s felt good.

The 6-foot-3, 240-pounder is expected to best the numbers he posted last season. He’s put on size and appeared in ESPN’s “Training Days” special catching every pass tossed his way by quarterback options Christian Hackenberg and Tyler Ferguson.

NFL-style sets featuring three and four tight ends are expected to be commonplace through the 2013 campaign, with talents like Jesse James, Matt Lehman and true freshman Adam Breneman working under tight ends coach John Strollo.

“I feel like we have big things ahead for us,” Carter said. “It’s definitely a big year for us and just having a new quarterback, I feel like we definitely have to be that safety valve for them.”

Carter was selected to the Sporting News Pre-season All-Big Ten squad and was also named to the watch list for the 2013 John Mackey Award, which is presented to the nation’s top collegiate tight end. Carter is one of only three sophomores on the 37-player Mackey Award watch list.

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)