De’Andre Thompkins will enroll early, scholarship to count toward 2013 class - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

De’Andre Thompkins will enroll early, scholarship to count toward 2013 class

Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 12:00 am

Penn State 2014 verbal commit De’Andre Thompkins will enroll as a freshman in January in addition to recruiting classmates Michael O’Connor and Antoine White.

Each of the recruits have made a verbal pledge to sign for the Nittany Lions on National Signing Day in February, but their scholarships will count toward the 2013 enrollment class.

Thompkins, a wide receiver out of Swansboro (N.C.) High School, confirmed Sunday that he’d be enrolling at Penn State in January. The decision allows Penn State to now sign 23 total 2014 prospects, with Thompkins, quarterback O’Connor and defensive tackle White as the only commits set to enroll early.

Because the NCAA modified Penn State’s scholarship restrictions originally put in place as sanctions, coach Bill O’Brien and his staff will be allowed to sign 25 players with each recruiting class beginning in 2015.

Thompkins, a 5-foot-11, 172-pound wideout, committed to Penn State in April and passed on offers from Clemson, Notre Dame and Tennessee. He’s a four-star athlete according to Rivals.com and is a talented receiver and kick returner.

In April following his verbal commitment, Thompkins told the Collegian that one of the top three things he looked for in a school was the chance to get on the field as soon as possible and contribute early.

“Don’t get me wrong, I love competition,” he said. “I want guys that are going to push me and make me work for my job. I love competition, but you don’t want a whole bunch of wide receivers in front of you. I want to step on the field.”

The Nittany Lions will lose wide receiver Brandon Felder to graduation and stud receiver Allen Robinson plans to graduate in June and could declare early for the NFL draft.

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)