De’Andre Thompkins will enroll early, scholarship to count toward 2013 class - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

De’Andre Thompkins will enroll early, scholarship to count toward 2013 class

Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 12:00 am

Penn State 2014 verbal commit De’Andre Thompkins will enroll as a freshman in January in addition to recruiting classmates Michael O’Connor and Antoine White.

Each of the recruits have made a verbal pledge to sign for the Nittany Lions on National Signing Day in February, but their scholarships will count toward the 2013 enrollment class.

Thompkins, a wide receiver out of Swansboro (N.C.) High School, confirmed Sunday that he’d be enrolling at Penn State in January. The decision allows Penn State to now sign 23 total 2014 prospects, with Thompkins, quarterback O’Connor and defensive tackle White as the only commits set to enroll early.

Because the NCAA modified Penn State’s scholarship restrictions originally put in place as sanctions, coach Bill O’Brien and his staff will be allowed to sign 25 players with each recruiting class beginning in 2015.

Thompkins, a 5-foot-11, 172-pound wideout, committed to Penn State in April and passed on offers from Clemson, Notre Dame and Tennessee. He’s a four-star athlete according to Rivals.com and is a talented receiver and kick returner.

In April following his verbal commitment, Thompkins told the Collegian that one of the top three things he looked for in a school was the chance to get on the field as soon as possible and contribute early.

“Don’t get me wrong, I love competition,” he said. “I want guys that are going to push me and make me work for my job. I love competition, but you don’t want a whole bunch of wide receivers in front of you. I want to step on the field.”

The Nittany Lions will lose wide receiver Brandon Felder to graduation and stud receiver Allen Robinson plans to graduate in June and could declare early for the NFL draft.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)