Reports: Mike Munchak, James Franklin to interview for Penn State job Sunday - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Reports: Mike Munchak, James Franklin to interview for Penn State job Sunday

Posted: Friday, January 3, 2014 5:18 pm

As multiple reports indicate, Penn State and its coaching search committee seem to be making some headway in terms of landing Bill O'Brien's successor.

But just how much headway is still an uncertainty.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday morning that former Tennessee Titans head coach and Penn State alumnus Mike Munchak would interview for the job on the same day.

Vanderbilt head coach James Franklin, meanwhile, is also reportedly set to interview for the Penn State job on Sunday, according to Pete Roussel of CoachingSearch.com.

ESPN.com college football reporter Brett McMurphy reported earlier on Friday that Munchak, Franklin and Miami head coach Al Golden are Penn State's top candidates to fill O'Brien's post, which became vacant when he officially resigned on Thursday to take the head coaching job with the Houston Texans.

However, one of those potential successors has withdrawn his name from consideration.

Golden reaffirmed his commitment to the Hurricanes in a press release on Sunday.

Miami released the following statement:

"There has been much speculation concerning my future at the University of Miami. While I am flattered that our progress at The U during an extremely difficult period of time is recognized, I am also appreciative of just what we have here at UM and I am not a candidate for another position. We are eager to welcome our student athletes back to campus next week and visit with prospective student-athletes and their families beginning January 15."

CaneSport.com and Blue-White Illustrated reported that Miami coach Al Golden has been offered the Penn State head coaching job. CaneSport.com said Golden is expected to take the job.

But in a phone interview with the Collegian, McMurphy said he was told Friday these reports are “absolutely inaccurate.”

McMurphy reported Saturday that Golden was scheduled to meet with Penn State officials the same day. Golden, according to the report, was supposed to talk with Penn State brass on Friday, but the meeting was canceled due to weather.

Munchak was thought to be staying in Nashville after The Tennessean reported Friday that Munchak would be retained by the Titans despite an up-and-down three-year career in Tennessee. But, Mortensen reported Saturday afternoon that the former Penn State lineman was fired, according to league sources.

While Joyner said Thursday that the program was looking for a coach that sees Penn State as a destination job, Franklin might not fall into that category if recent reports are any indication.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Saturday morning that Franklin not only interviewed for the Texans head coaching job two weeks ago, but also has received requests to interview with the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns — making a move to the NFL a possibility for the Penn State target.

Meanwhile, ESPN.com's Joe Schad tweeted earlier Friday that Golden agreed to speak about Penn State's opening because "it would be coming home."

Golden, of course, has a wealth of coaching experience and owns ties to Penn State and Pennsylvania as a whole. Golden played under Joe Paterno as a tight end from 1987 to 1991, served as the Lions' captain in 1991 and was Penn State's linebackers coach in 2000.

And McMurphy said this previous relationship could be especially key due to the instability within Penn State administration — with neither the president nor athletic director of the future known. Since future leadership is not clear, this could narrow the search committee’s qualified options, McMurphy believes, and thus require Penn State to depend on a polished alum such as Golden to take the role.

“Whether it’s Penn State or any school, a coach doesn’t want to come in to a new tradition and not know who his boss is going to be,” McMurphy said. “It makes you think twice about it. What if they bring in some guy you absolutely cannot work with?”

But it doesn't appear as though Golden is headed for Happy Valley.

Meanwhile, Franklin's name is one of the hottest on the coaching market after turning Vanderbilt into a successful football program, and McMurphy said there's a lot of positives to the Commodores head coach.

“They’ve been a laughing stock in the SEC forever," McMurphy said of the Commodores' history. "He’s come in and they’re trying to win consecutive bowl games for the first time in school history. So he’s been accomplishing a lot of firsts at that school. His strength is his recruiting. He’s an unbelievable recruiter, and obviously he’s a native of the state.”

Under Franklin, the Commodores have reached three consecutive bowl games, including Saturday's appearance in the BBVA Compass Bowl. Franklin also has Pennsylvania ties, as the offensive specialist was born in Langhorne and played college football at East Stroudsburg University.

Stay tuned for more updates from the Collegian throughout the weekend as Penn State's coaching search continues.

1 comment:

• JamesD71 posted at 8:08 pm on Fri, Jan 3, 2014.

JamesD71 Posts: 10

If they can't get Munchak or Golden in 10 days, the just give LJ a three year HC contract and go HOT after the best OC that can be found.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)