Linebacker recruits stay committed despite Vanderlinden’s resignation - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Linebacker recruits stay committed despite Vanderlinden’s resignation

Troy Reeder

Posted: Friday, December 6, 2013 12:00 am

Penn State class of 2014 linebacker commit Troy Reeder had built a close relationship with Ron Vanderlinden, beginning in his junior year at Salesianum School, a high school in Wilmington, Del.

And, it continued to flourish until Reeder got a call from Penn State defensive coordinator John Butler on Monday night. Butler had informed Reeder that Vanderlinden, who just finished his 13th year as Penn State’s linebacker coach, would not be returning to Penn State.

Along with quarterbacks coach Charlie Fisher, it was announced Monday that Vanderlinden had resigned “to pursue other opportunities.”

After Reeder spoke with Butler, the three-star recruit got a call from head coach Bill O’Brien later in the evening to make sure the linebacker was still firm in his verbal commitment to Penn State.

Reeder told O’Brien he was, despite the relationship he had with Vanderlinden.

“It was disappointing to me because I had spent the past year-and-a-half really bonding with coach Vand,” Reeder said in a phone interview. “But, I also know that coach O’Brien is going to bring in another great linebacker coach to follow in his footsteps. I have no doubt that they’re going to bring in the right guy to help me develop.”

Reeder said even after Vanderlinden’s resignation, he didn’t question his decision and remains fully committed to Penn State.

The Delaware state champion wasn’t the only linebacker to reaffirm their commitment to the Lions as Jason Cabinda, a class of 2014 three-star middle linebacker from New Jersey, also confirmed his pledge to the program.

“I didn’t rethink my decision in any way,” Cabinda said. “It didn’t affect me at all. It’s still Penn State University. It’s still Linebacker U.”

Over the years, Vanderlinden was instrumental in the growth of multiple star linebackers and the “Linebacker U” mantra. Many of those successful linebackers went on to play in the NFL, such as Sean Lee, Dan Connor, NaVorro Bowman, Paul Posluszny and Michael Mauti.

That intrigue of traditional success was always a selling point Vanderlinden made to linebackers, and Reeder said it played a substantial role into his decision to choose Penn State.

“His track record shows that he produced and developed guys into great linebackers. Guys who got drafted, guys who are in the NFL and who are going to be in the hall of fame in the NFL,” Reeder said.

But Vanderlinden’s sell was more than the success written in the past. To Reeder, the coach’s pitch of what Penn State was in the present — in the face of the NCAA sanctions — was also extremely important.

“One thing that really sold me was when coach Vand said that Penn State is on an upswing,” Reeder said. “They’ve conquered everything that’s gone against them sanction-wise...He just kind of opened my eyes that it’s still Penn State. There’s not going to be a downfall.”

Reeder said O’Brien and Butler visited his home Monday, and Cabinda said Butler spoke to him at his school Tuesday — all to confirm their commitments.

Reeder said O’Brien told him the Lions have multiple options in terms of choices for the new linebacker coach.

In the aforementioned press release, O’Brien said the search for a new linebacker and quarterback coach would be launched immediately.

Perhaps most importantly, after conversations with O’Brien and Butler, the two recruits are confident that the next linebacker coach will live up to the high standards.

“Coach O’Brien wouldn’t accept any [coach] less than exceptional,” Cabinda said. “So I have no worries.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)