Linebacker recruits stay committed despite Vanderlinden’s resignation - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Linebacker recruits stay committed despite Vanderlinden’s resignation

Troy Reeder

Posted: Friday, December 6, 2013 12:00 am

Penn State class of 2014 linebacker commit Troy Reeder had built a close relationship with Ron Vanderlinden, beginning in his junior year at Salesianum School, a high school in Wilmington, Del.

And, it continued to flourish until Reeder got a call from Penn State defensive coordinator John Butler on Monday night. Butler had informed Reeder that Vanderlinden, who just finished his 13th year as Penn State’s linebacker coach, would not be returning to Penn State.

Along with quarterbacks coach Charlie Fisher, it was announced Monday that Vanderlinden had resigned “to pursue other opportunities.”

After Reeder spoke with Butler, the three-star recruit got a call from head coach Bill O’Brien later in the evening to make sure the linebacker was still firm in his verbal commitment to Penn State.

Reeder told O’Brien he was, despite the relationship he had with Vanderlinden.

“It was disappointing to me because I had spent the past year-and-a-half really bonding with coach Vand,” Reeder said in a phone interview. “But, I also know that coach O’Brien is going to bring in another great linebacker coach to follow in his footsteps. I have no doubt that they’re going to bring in the right guy to help me develop.”

Reeder said even after Vanderlinden’s resignation, he didn’t question his decision and remains fully committed to Penn State.

The Delaware state champion wasn’t the only linebacker to reaffirm their commitment to the Lions as Jason Cabinda, a class of 2014 three-star middle linebacker from New Jersey, also confirmed his pledge to the program.

“I didn’t rethink my decision in any way,” Cabinda said. “It didn’t affect me at all. It’s still Penn State University. It’s still Linebacker U.”

Over the years, Vanderlinden was instrumental in the growth of multiple star linebackers and the “Linebacker U” mantra. Many of those successful linebackers went on to play in the NFL, such as Sean Lee, Dan Connor, NaVorro Bowman, Paul Posluszny and Michael Mauti.

That intrigue of traditional success was always a selling point Vanderlinden made to linebackers, and Reeder said it played a substantial role into his decision to choose Penn State.

“His track record shows that he produced and developed guys into great linebackers. Guys who got drafted, guys who are in the NFL and who are going to be in the hall of fame in the NFL,” Reeder said.

But Vanderlinden’s sell was more than the success written in the past. To Reeder, the coach’s pitch of what Penn State was in the present — in the face of the NCAA sanctions — was also extremely important.

“One thing that really sold me was when coach Vand said that Penn State is on an upswing,” Reeder said. “They’ve conquered everything that’s gone against them sanction-wise...He just kind of opened my eyes that it’s still Penn State. There’s not going to be a downfall.”

Reeder said O’Brien and Butler visited his home Monday, and Cabinda said Butler spoke to him at his school Tuesday — all to confirm their commitments.

Reeder said O’Brien told him the Lions have multiple options in terms of choices for the new linebacker coach.

In the aforementioned press release, O’Brien said the search for a new linebacker and quarterback coach would be launched immediately.

Perhaps most importantly, after conversations with O’Brien and Butler, the two recruits are confident that the next linebacker coach will live up to the high standards.

“Coach O’Brien wouldn’t accept any [coach] less than exceptional,” Cabinda said. “So I have no worries.”

Loading…
Loading…

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)