Penn State's homecoming and White Out game against Michigan sold out - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State's homecoming and White Out game against Michigan sold out

Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 10:55 am | Updated: 10:59 am, Tue Oct 1, 2013.

Citing Penn State's 2005 victory over Ohio State in the misty rain and the Nittany Lions triumph over Notre Dame in 2007 as examples, the combination of a White Out and night game has been the recipe for an electric environment at Beaver Stadium.

That should be the case once again in less than two weeks.

Penn State's Oct. 12 homecoming contest — an all-stadium White Out —against Michigan is sold out, Penn State athletics announced Tuesday. The game kicks off at 5:00 p.m. and will be televised on ESPN.

Considering the magnitude of hosting the No. 19 ranked and currently undefeated Wolverines, a packed house is no real surprise.

The Lions and Wolverines are meeting for the first time since 2010, and the series has been one dominated by streaks in the past decade and a half.

Penn State has won the last three meetings, but Happy Valley faithful might still be bitter about Michigan's nine-game winning streak over Penn State from 1997 to 2007, which included the 2005 defeat that ended Penn State's hopes at an undefeated season.

While a replay of the Chad Henne-to-Mario Manningham last second touchdown might be hard to stomach, a stadium with upwards of 100,000 patrons would be a welcomed sight for the football program considering the lackluster attendance so far this season.

Penn State's three home games (Eastern Michigan, Central Florida and Kent State) haven't hit 93,000 attendees with the highest announced attendance being 92,855 against the Golden Knights.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)