Penn State kicker Sam Ficken is no longer 'turning a corner' -- he’s way past it - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State kicker Sam Ficken is no longer 'turning a corner' -- he’s way past it

Posted: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 4:01 pm | Updated: 3:14 pm, Thu Oct 3, 2013.

Skeptics come and skeptics go, but for Sam Ficken, a 1-of-5 performance at Virginia last season left him with plenty. And they never quite went away, despite his obvious improvements.

In 2013, there’s still some remaining. Whenever he hits a field goal, still, it’s a surprise to some. And to others, he’s still “turning a major corner.”

But in reality, Ficken is well past that corner. He’s been as solid as collegiate kickers come.

“All of last season, I knew I had all the ability in the world. I wouldn’t be in this situation if I didn’t,” Ficken said. “So really for me, it was just getting that experience, calming down in these situations and that’s what really helped me work on my fundamentals.”

Had he not ended last season that same way, maybe Ficken would be worried about his confidence. Oftentimes last season, coach Bill O’Brien opted to go for it on fourth down instead of trying a short field goal. Now, that’s not an issue.

O’Brien has placed a supreme amount of trust in his junior kicker this season. He gave Ficken shots from 36, 35 and 46 yards against Syracuse. Ficken hit all three. Then against Eastern Michigan, Ficken hit from 39.

A 57-yard miss that came up just a little short against Central Florida broke his school record for consecutive field goals (15), although he had nailed a 47-yarder a few minutes earlier.

Then, against Kent State, Ficken hit from 25 and 54 yards — the longest by a Penn State kicker since 1979 and the longest by a Nittany Lion in Beaver Stadium history.

“With the way last season ended, making those 10 straight, that really helped me in the offseason,” Ficken said. “I feel like I completed that season, now I’m able to focus on improving everyday I go out there and kick and improving on my fundamentals.”

Since last year’s loss to Ohio State, Ficken has hit 17-of-18 field goals, the lone miss being that 57-yard prayer against UCF. He’s clearly improved, even if outsiders are continually surprised by his success.

The sour taste from those Virginia misses was washed away by a strong finish.

“This team’s not living in the past. We’re moving forward,” defensive tackle DaQuan Jones said. “The Virginia game happened, and obviously he improved from that. You can’t knock a player for his past.”

“I think he’s kind of proven that he’s a capable kicker and a good kicker,” punt returner and safety Jesse Della Valle said. “He just lets his play speak for itself. I think people will see that.”

But what’s to credit for his turnaround?

First, it’s a more deliberate approach. He went from a two-and-a-half step motion to two steps in order to decrease his margin of error.

It's a very slight and subtle change, but take a look at the videos below. In the first, a missed field goal at Virginia as time expired, he takes 2.5 steps and seems slower to the ball. 

In the second, 10 days ago against Kent State, he takes just two and has a more compact approach.

wOfHiWhR.gif gTL7m31cR.gif

This offseason, Ficken worked with Chicago Bear and former Nittany Lion kicker Robbie Gould, who helped him improve that delivery and ensure his plant foot was in the right spot. He’s also added 12 pounds since the beginning of last season, according to the team’s official roster — a credit to strength and conditioning coach Craig Fitzgerald and the work they did together this summer, Ficken said.

O’Brien called Ficken the team’s most improved player — and even joked that he may have Ficken work with punter Alex Butterworth because of the turn around he made.

“I think Sam Ficken is a much improved kicker,” O’Brien said after Ficken hit three field goals against Syracuse. “Now it’s one game, and he has to continue to do that. And no one knows that better than him.”

That was just one game, but it’s carried over to the next three, and Ficken hopes it won’t stop there. He has the highest field goal percentage (87.5) in the Big Ten so far this season and won the Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week award for his opening-day efforts against the Orange.

“I’m having a great season so far, but I can’t be complacent with what I’ve done,” Ficken said. “I’m always trying to be better and learning new things. I don’t want to say I’m turning the page and I’m happy with where I’m at, because I know I can do better. But it does feel good with the way this season has started for sure.”

3 comments:

• stephaniey1 posted at 2:24 pm on Sun, Nov 24, 2013.

stephaniey1 Posts: 1

Clearly, you're an idiot.
    Penn State has had 5 olympic gold medalists, 8 silver, and 16 bronze. Over 110 Penn Staters have appeared in the Olympic games

As for Nobel Prize winners: Five Penn State scientists, all members of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), shared in the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize when the 2,000-member IPCC and former vice president Al Gore were recognized for their work on climate change issues.

CEOs: Michael Laphen, CEO of Computer Sciences Corp., Albert Lord CEO and vice chairman of SLM corp, Gregory Lucier chairman/CEO of Life Technologies Corp, Mark Parker president and CEO of Nike Inc, Walter Rakowich CEO of ProLogis, John Surma chairman and CEO of US Steel Corp, Patricia Woertz, chairman, president, and CEO of Archer Daniels Midland. Among others

Hershey Medical Center is one of the best in this country and works directly with Penn State Hershey students. Many notable doctors have come out of this program.

Other famous penn staters: http://alumni.psu.edu/about_us/contact_us/contacts

Do your research before you knock things. Your clearly uneducated, and bitter. I'm a Penn Stater and I'm absolutely disgusted by the Sandusky scandal. He's a horrible man, and what he did to those children was terrible. The way it was covered up was a disgrace. But we are recovering from that. We're moving on. We've turned out thousands of brilliant, amazing people and had tons of accomplishments over the years. Penn State students have raised over 100 million for pediatric cancer: 12.4 million of that was raised in 2012-2013 school year alone. Our school cannot be based off of one terrible man, or the poor decisions that were made about him. You speak as if we all tried to hide and help him. He is an embarrassment and disgrace to our school. But We are and always will be an institution of excellence and high performance. Clearly your college experience sucked and/or you went to some school no one ever heard of, otherwise you wouldn't be knocking ours. get a life.

• 41995 posted at 9:56 am on Thu, Oct 3, 2013.

41995 Posts: 4

Oh it does matter. He improved his plant foot and he also added 12 pounds. [tongue_smile]
    Did you know the inventor of the Slinky graduated from Penn State?

• Don Timatter posted at 10:58 pm on Wed, Oct 2, 2013.

Don Timatter Posts: 1

A lengthy string of words about something that matters not at all: a football club named Penn State. It matters not because the organization housed a convicted child molester and their aiders and abetters. It matters not because even without these criminal's mala in se, people who go through Penn State are not destined for anything good any way. What child of promising talent tells himself or herself that Penn State is the destination when he or she grows up? How many Nobel prize winners, CEO's, accomplished teachers, accomplished doctors, Olympic medalists have Penn State backgrounds? None. (There cannot be any for a basic reason: Penn State is not a place of learning and teaching. Never has it been. Never will it be. Nobody expects such a thing from Penn State.) The so-called leaders of Penn State can just keep up enough of the mirage for people of the hills of Pennsylvania to think of it as a college. If there had not been a Penn State in the past (how many) years, America and the world would be exactly the same as they are now - well except that there would be less victims of child molestation.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)