Penn State loses in historic fashion at Ohio State, 63-14; Bill O'Brien, Urban Meyer react - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State loses in historic fashion at Ohio State, 63-14; Bill O'Brien, Urban Meyer react

Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 4:36 pm

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- It’s believed to have been the worst statistical defensive performance for Penn State since the 19th century.

“Linebacker U” hadn’t given up more than 60 points since 1899 when Duquesne Athletic Club downed the Nittany Lions, 64-5, to close out a 4-6-1 season under coach Sam Boyle.

But coach Bill O’Brien’s Penn State squad (4-3, 1-2 in Big Ten) went down in similarly historic fashion in Columbus Saturday, losing to No. 4 Ohio State (8-0, 4-0), 63-14 before 105,889 in Ohio Stadium. Quarterback Braxton Miller orchestrated a nearly perfect offensive attack for a Buckeye offense that scored 42 points in the first half and totaled a whopping 686 yards.

After the game, the Lions’ coach, in typical O’Brien fashion, took responsibility for the loss and said he’d better assess the game after watching the film. But these film sessions will likely lead to more cringes than ever in his 19-game head coaching career.

“We’ve got to learn from it. We’ve got to coach better. That’s two years in a row that we’ve lost to these guys,” O’Brien said. “Give them all the credit in the world. They did a good job and they’ve got a hell of a football team.”

Urban Meyer won his 20th straight game as Ohio State head coach to keep the Buckeyes’ national title hopes alive — and made sure this one wasn’t close in the process.

While up 35-7 with less than a minute to go in the first half, Meyer didn’t take the foot off the pedal. The Buckeyes executed a six-play, 84-yard drive in 52 seconds to tack on seven more. Later, Meyer challenged a first down call while his team was up 49 points.

The second-year Buckeye coach — who received a noticeable glare from O’Brien while the spot was being challenged in the fourth quarter — said he imagines that type of win would help his team’s reception nationally.

“I think it helps,” Meyer said. “That was not certainly our mindset. Our mindset is find a way to win this game against a very talented team. A lot of respect for a team that had some momentum going into this game.”

The sole time the Lions seemed to gain momentum in this one came on their first offensive possession of the game during a 12-play, 69-yard drive into the red zone. However, a Christian Hackenberg pass intended for tight end Adam Breneman landed in the hands of safety Corey Brown.

And the rout was on.

Miller demonstrated his Heisman side against the Lions for the second straight year, finishing with 320 total yards and five touchdowns — three in the air and two on the ground. Running back Carlos Hyde added 16 carries for 147 yards and two rushing scores, tallying on to a 408-yard Buckeye rushing performance.

O’Brien said simulating their speed in practice wasn’t easy, but the blowout loss was primarily a result of getting simply outplayed.

“They’re a good football team. No question about it. They deserve all their rankings and all the things that are coming for them,” O’Brien said. “They’re going to be tough to beat.”

The future of Penn State’s 2013 season is once again in limbo for a team that had been coming off a miraculous four-overtime victory against Michigan in its last outing.

O’Brien said ‘disheartened’ would be an acceptable word to describe the team after giving up 42 points in a single half. But, at the same time, he said he didn’t think any of his players quit — citing Allen Robinson’s catch and 80-yard scoring dash as a prime example.

Corner Jordan Lucas said despite the nature of the loss, he doesn’t expect its consequences to affect the team long-term.

“Any loss is tough, and losing like this to Ohio State, it definitely hits hard,” Lucas said. “But one thing about us…we look at the tape, we go over our mistakes and we try to fix it for the next weekend and try not to let anything like that happen again. So after Sunday, we’re past Ohio State.”

Loading…
Loading…

The Daily Collegian for Thursday, July 24, 2014

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)