With O’Brien deal with Texans reportedly sealed, a look at potential successors - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

With O’Brien deal with Texans reportedly sealed, a look at potential successors

Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Bill O’Brien and the Houston Texans have reportedly come to terms on a deal, according to an ESPN report, among others. And that means the search for Penn State to find its new man is on.

While Houston got a head start on its coaching search after firing Gary Kubiak in the first week of December, Penn State will be left scrambling for a new head coach more than a month after its season's close, with O'Brien reportedly bolting. Several names have popped up as potential successors to the second-year O’Brien. Let’s take a deeper look at those who could be considered top candidates:

James Franklin – PennLive columnist David Jones reported Monday afternoon that the current Vanderbilt coach sits atop Penn State’s wish list, citing anonymous Penn State sources in the report. Franklin, who deflected questions during a press conference Monday about his future with the Commodores, has ties to Pennsylvania, as he grew up in Langhorne and played college ball at East Stroudsburg. Franklin, 41, has led Vanderbilt to three straight bowl appearances, along with winning records in the SEC in the last two years. Franklin’s program, however, came under fire last summer when four players were implicated in a rape case. In November, attorneys subpoenaed texts from members of Franklin’s coaching staff, but the case is ongoing.

Greg SchianoNFL.com’s Ian Rappaport reported Sunday that Penn State athletic director Dave Joyner, who has made no public comment since rumors began flying, was mulling a trip to Tampa Bay to make an in-person push for now-former Buccaneers' coach Greg Schiano. The former Rutgers' coach, who was fired from his position with the Bucs Monday, struggled mightily in leading Tampa Bay to an 11-21 record over two years. However, Schiano saw much more success in the college realm, leading soon-to-be Big Ten opponent Rutgers to six bowl appearances in his last seven seasons at the school. Schiano also has ties to Penn State – he served under Joe Paterno as a graduate assistant in 1990 and then as the defensive backs coach until 1995.

Mike Munchak – The former Penn Stater reportedly was on the Nittany Lions’ short list in 2011 prior to O’Brien’s hire, and now awaits his fate with the Tennessee Titans. While Munchak is still the Titans' coach, his status remains up in the air after he led the team to a 22-26 record over three seasons — just 6-12 against the AFC South since 2011. Munchak deflected questions about his future with the Titans during a press conference today. A guard under Joe Paterno from 1979 to 1981, Munchak entered the NFL draft with one year left of eligibility and was the first offensive lineman chosen.

Al Golden – ESPN analysts Lou Holtz and Mark May speculated Saturday that Miami coach Al Golden may want to return to his roots in Happy Valley. Golden, whose contract in Miami isn’t up until 2020, also deflected questions Friday to reporters about his status as a coach whom other schools may have interest in, saying “There’s never been a better time to be at the University of Miami.” Golden, a three-year letterman (1989-91) at Penn State, held the head coaching position at Temple for five years prior to taking the Miami job in December of 2010.

Larry Johnson – Penn State's current defensive line coach, Larry Johnson, interviewed for the head coaching job prior to O’Brien’s hire, and could interview again with the Penn State job opening up once more. Johnson, in his 18th year of coaching with Penn State, is one of the Nittany Lions’ most experienced recruiters. He is the only coach still remaining on staff who once worked under Joe Paterno.

Stay tuned with the Collegian as the Penn State coaching news continues.

3 comments:

• Wahi Awad posted at 9:43 am on Wed, Jan 1, 2014.

Wahi Awad Posts: 3

How about trying for Spock of the U.S.S Enterprise? At least there would be some improvement at Penn State in intellect AND empathy.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha roflmao

• Ralphie posted at 3:40 pm on Tue, Dec 31, 2013.

Ralphie Posts: 3

Please. Schia-NO-NO-NO!

• JamesD71 posted at 11:46 pm on Mon, Dec 30, 2013.

JamesD71 Posts: 10

Try for Munchak or Golden. If you can't get either of them, then bless PSU with Larry Johnson as HC. Larry can do it, too.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)