Lions unearth balance after early struggles, beat Eastern Michigan handily - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Lions unearth balance after early struggles, beat Eastern Michigan handily

Related Galleries

Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2013 6:32 pm | Updated: 4:34 pm, Sun Sep 8, 2013.

Penn State, after forcing an Eastern Michigan punt, took over on its own 12-yard line for the offense's opening series.

Right off the bat, a 24-yard scamper by Zach Zwinak gave the offense and announced crowd of 92,863 fans a jolt of energy.

That is, until those celebrating realized the yellow laundry on the field — a flag for holding on tight end Adam Breneman that silenced the Nittany Lions' momentum, and set the tone for the Lions' initially shaky offensive performance Saturday. However, after a slow start from Christian Hackenberg and company, the Lions did well to rebound against their lesser opponent in the 45-7 victory over the Eagles.

The 38-point margin of victory and 574 yards of total offense speak for themselves, but the first three series served as a confirmation that the true freshman quarterback and his offense are not finished products.

"I think we're still a work in progress," coach Bill O'Brien said after the game. "We have to execute better, especially at the beginning of the game...They're resilient. It's a resilient football team."

Following Breneman's penalty, Hackenberg misfired on three consecutive incompletions for a three-and-out. The next series was no real difference, as the Lions failed to gain a first down.

On Penn State's third series, it didn't even get to three plays, as Hackenberg coughed up the football untouched, before Eastern Michigan's Hunter Matt picked it up and ran it in for a touchdown.

O'Brien said his young signal caller was overly excited and he had to be reminded by an assistant coach that it was Hackenberg's first game playing at Beaver Stadium.

"He was jacked up," O'Brien said. "You can take 5,000 recruiting trips here, but it ain't like playing here... He was amped up, but I thought he settled down obviously pretty well."

Hackenberg and the offense found a groove towards the end of the first quarter and sustained it until halftime with help of diversified play-calling by O'Brien.

The first touchdown — a two-yard run by Zach Zwinak — was set up by a 43-yard connection between Hackenberg and Allen Robinson.

A five-yard, stop-and-go run by Bill Belton for Penn State's second score followed two passes and a finishing rush by the back that went for 15 yards. Penn State capped the first half with a 39-yard field goal by Sam Ficken.

The offensive attack was almost even on the Lions' three first half scoring drives (nine passes, seven rushes), a credit to O'Brien, Zwinak said.

"On offense you want to be able to run any type of play — run, pass, play-action," Zwinak said. "It's a matter of [O'Brien], what he wants to call and when he's going to call it. That's all him."

Despite a 17-7 score at halftime, the Lions launched similar balance and used it to pull away from the Eagles in the second half.

Zwinak, who finished the day with seven carries for 43 yards, scored another touchdown, making it a 24-7 lead for the Lions in the third quarter.

Eastern Michigan had a brief, ineffective drive following Zwinak's score, and the Lions wasted little time scoring again.

With more than 12 minutes to go in the fourth quarter, a 45-yard touchdown throw from Hackenberg to Robinson put it out of reach, with the Lions then leading 31-7.

Hackenberg finished with 311 passing yards — the most ever by a Penn State freshman — on 23-of-33 passing, and Robinson hauled in seven catches for 129 yards.

For good measure, Belton beefed his stat line with a 51-yard dash up the middle for a touchdown, pushing his rushing totals on the day to a career-high 108 yards.

Freshman rusher Akeel Lynch, who carried the ball 13 times for 108 yards as well, tacked on an 18-yard touchdown run with less than four minutes to go in the contest.

Despite the occasional ups and downs, O'Brien said he was proud of his team for winning the day, but made sure to note there was more work to be done.

"We’re just trying to take it one day at a time," O'Brien said. "I told them we won the day today, we have to try to win the day tomorrow. Just take it one day at a time, try to get better everyday."

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)