Penn State coach Bill O'Brien says Christian Hackenberg is healthy, defends John Butler at weekly press conference - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State coach Bill O'Brien says Christian Hackenberg is healthy, defends John Butler at weekly press conference

• 131026_mlb+BillOBrienPonders.jpg

Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien ponders a response to a question asked by a reporter at his postgame press conference Saturday evening at Ohio Stadium. Penn State fell to Ohio State 63-14.

Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Similar to after a loss Indiana, Penn State coach Bill O'Brien said following Saturday's blowout against Ohio State that he'd watch the film and better assess his team at his weekly press conference.

O'Brien watched the film, and followed up on his promise, talking about the defense's performance, injury news and defending defensive coordinator John Butler, among other topics.

Here's what O'Brien had to say Tuesday afternoon: 

Hackenberg ready for Saturday

-O'Brien said freshman quarterback Christian Hackenberg is practicing fully and ready to play on Saturday. The second-year coach said his signal caller, who exited Saturday's game early with a shoulder injury, doesn't have to wear any protective gear for the injury.

Belton is No. 1 back

-O'Brien said junior Bill Belton is the team's No. 1 running back moving forward. Belton took the bulk of Saturday's carries, tallying 98 yards on 22 carries.

The New Jersey native also took over the lead back role in the second half of the Michigan game after fellow back Zach Zwinak had a costly fumble.

O'Brien said Belton is more patient this year with the ball in his hands and has done well in pass protection — one of the hardest things to do in O'Brien's eyes.

Defense looking to improve:

Penn State's defense surrendered 686 yards against the Buckeyes on Saturday — the most ever allowed by a Nittany Lions' team.

O'Brien said there are some communication issues on the defensive side of the ball.

"Obviously Saturday night wasn't the defenses best night," O'Brien said. "You wouldn't put that in the category of improvement."

O'Brien defends Butler:

With the poor defensive performance, defensive coordinator John Butler, whether it was on Twitter or message boards, has endured some heat.

O'Brien addressed those grumblings as the head coach stood up for the first-year coordinator.

"He's a hell of a football coach," O'Brien said. "If anybody should take heat, it Bill O'Brien not John Butler...It's a bunch of crap that he's taking heat."

Zwinak’s fumbling issue

O’Brien said running back Zach Zwinak has a bit of a fumbling problem, but is working through it during practice.

Zwinak fumbled without being hit against Ohio State, and didn’t see the field after that.

"I do think it's a little bit mental," O'Brien said. "I don't think he should be hard on himself...I think he'll improve. But the number one job of a ball carrier is protecting the ball." 

Amos better suited at corner

O’Brien said he thinks defensive back Adrian Amos, after starting the year at safety, is better suited at this point for cornerback.

Amos started at corner against Ohio State over Trevor Williams, who had started there earlier in the season.

"I think Adrian right now is best suited to play corner," O'Brien said. "I think our best secondary lineup at the moment is Adrian and Jordan [Lucas] at the corners."

Other injury news:

Along with Hackenberg, O'Brien said safety Ryan Keiser and linebacker Ben Kline will be ready for Illinois this weekend.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)