Last word: Third down woes continue, Adam Breneman has a day to forget, more - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State football Last word: Third down woes continue, Adam Breneman has a day to forget, more

Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 12:00 am

Penn State has scored 68 points in its first two games, so surely at some point they moved the chains. It just hasn’t been on third down.

“It was atrocious last week,” center Ty Howle said. “So it had to get better.”

But it didn’t.

The Nittany Lions dominated Eastern Michigan on the ground Saturday in a 45-7 win, but for the second week in a row, couldn’t move the sticks on third down. The team is now 2-for-26 on the season after going 1-for-10 against the Eagles and 1-for-16 against Syracuse. Penn State has converted twice as many fourth downs (4-for-4) as third downs.

It’s not like there’s a magic button coach Bill O’Brien can press to make this problem go away. It’s something Penn State has been working on and will continue to work on throughout the season.

“We do stress it, and we will continue to stress it,” wide receivers coach Stan Hixon said. “We’re going to get better.”

In 2012, the offense converted 42.5 percent of their third downs, good for 47th of 124 teams in the nation.

On the road, of course, it’s more difficult to convert on third down with crowd noise being a factor. But last season, Penn State converted about 1.5 percent less (40.9) of its tries than its overall average. There’s not enough of a disparity to use that as an excuse, just as there’s not enough reason to assume the offense would convert more at home, which it didn’t Saturday.

Again, there’s no magic button. Christian Hackenberg, as he builds confidence, will likely improve on third down. There’s not one specific thing to point to for an immediate improvement. It’s just a matter of executing, tackle Garry Gilliam said. And sometimes, that takes time.

“[O’Brien] has all the schemes and plays in there,” Gilliam said. “It’s just a matter of us going out and doing it.”

Day to remember

Offense: RB Akeel Lynch

Lynch displayed his quickness and physicality in the second half Saturday, carving through the Eastern Michigan defense. He ran for 108 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries.

Against Syracuse, Lynch played solely special teams while Bill Belton and Zach Zwinak picked up just 80 yards on 30 carries. Saturday, all three averaged more than six yards per carry and reached pay dirt at least once.

Defense: DT DaQuan Jones

Jones had his second consecutive coming out party Saturday. After making just 22 tackles all of last season, he’s had nine in each of the first two games of the season (five for loss) and has been a force in the backfield. He has two sacks and is anchoring a stout defensive front.

Day to forget

Offense: Adam Breneman

Hackenberg and Breneman will likely enjoy plenty of success together over the next few years, but the tight end didn’t see the ball much Saturday.

He started at tight end opposite Jesse James and was flagged for holding on the first drive, then didn’t see the field consistently after that.

Defense: LB Nyeem Wartman

Wartman had a fine day, making six tackles, but is likely frustrated with what could have been.

Wartman broke up three passes, but at least two of them could have been interceptions had he gotten to the ball a half second earlier.

Extra point

Sam Ficken’s third quarter field goal gave him 14 consecutive successful conversions dating back to last season, a school record set in 1992 by Craig Fayak.

Did you notice?

Safety and holder Ryan Keiser left the game in the second quarter after being hit hard while blocking during a kick return. Punter Alex Butterworth held Sam Ficken’s field goals and PATs following Keiser’s exit.

Quotable

"Every time I put it on, I remember the guys before me. I'm going to be the last one wearing this number, so I'll make sure I do it proud," Lynch on being able to keep 1973 Heisman Trophy winner John Cappelletti’s No. 22, which was retired Saturday, for the rest of his career.

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)