Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg wins Big Ten freshman of the year award - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg wins Big Ten freshman of the year award

• Hackenberg celebrates

Chrisitian Hackenberg (14) celebrates after running the ball for a touchdown against Nebraska Saturday evening. The Nittany Lion's were beaten by the Cornhuskers 20 to 23 in overtime.

Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:00 am

The legend just keeps on growing.

Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg captured yet another accolade Tuesday night, earning the Big Ten Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year award.

Hackenberg was the second consecutive Penn State player to haul in the honor with defensive end Deion Barnes winning last season.

Hackenberg spoke on Big Ten Network after being announced the winner, talking specifically about the struggles and breakthroughs he had in 2013.

“There were a lot of ups and downs,” Hackenberg said. “I didn’t really know what to expect, but a lot of great guys around me and coaches around me helped me succeed this year and build upon my skillset. They’re going to continue to do that for the next couple of years here.”

As the starting quarterback from start to finish this season, Hackenberg made an instant impact under center.

The 6-foot-4 gunslinger finished with 2,955 passing yards, which was good for second most in the conference and was the third-best single-season total in Penn State history.

Despite tossing 10 interceptions, Hackenberg finished with 20 passing touchdowns — tied for second most in the Big Ten — and chipped in four rushing scores.

Hackenberg posted a below-average completion percentage of 58.9 percent, but heaved the second-most passing attempts in the conference (392) — a testament to his durability as an 18-year-old passer.

Sure, Hackenberg experienced the ebbs and flows of being a first-year collegiate quarterback, littered with mistakes an inexperienced freshman is bound to make. The quarterback acknowledged some of those shortcomings, saying on BTN that he’s looking to improve the “little things,” like footwork and accuracy.

But Hackenberg said what he struggled with most was adjusting to starting at quarterback on the big stage — quite the step up from playing at Fork Union Military Academy (Va.).

“The most challenging part for me was handling all the expectations that came with being quarterback at a program like Penn State. You really don’t understand the bigness of it,” Hackenberg said. “I was playing small high school football in central Virginia last year. So stepping into this kind of environment was definitely different.”

Hackenberg did well to handle the spotlight, producing several bright spots along the way, including the final drive of regulation against Michigan and Saturday’s four-touchdown showing against Wisconsin in the season finale upset win.

Those highlights have been honored throughout the season, as Hackenberg took in five Big Ten offensive freshman of the week honors in 2013.

When asked what his best memory of 2013 was, Hackenberg said the Michigan and Wisconsin games, for obvious reasons.

“The Michigan game. Four overtimes. That was spectacular. Then, there was Wisconsin,” Hackenberg said. “We were able to send [the seniors] out with a win...To send them out right was big for us.”

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)