Penn State snags an offensive verbal commit as rumors swirl about status of Bill O'Brien - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State snags an offensive verbal commit as rumors swirl about status of Bill O'Brien

Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Well, Chasz, you get points for interesting timing.

Offensive lineman Chasz Wright, a tackle attending junior college in New Berlin, N.Y., has verbally committed to Penn State’s 2014 recruiting class, Ryan Snyder of Blue-White Illustrated reported Saturday night. The pledge comes while other recruits are being vigorously questioned about their commitments to the Nittany Lions.

Second-year head coach Bill O'Brien -- who has emerged as an adept recruiter -- is currently the "overwhelming favorite" to become the Houston Texans' next head coach, and the two sides are working out a deal, ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported Saturday. However, several outlets have reported that the Texans’ search is far from over.

Wright, who was a 2013 prospect but elected to attend junior college for a year, is rated at three stars by Rivals and boasts a towering 6-foot-7, 300-pound frame. According to Rivals, the northern Virginia-native had previously been committed to both UConn and Temple.

The offensive tackle becomes the 18th member of Penn State's 2014 recruiting class. Noah Beh, of Scranton, is the only other offensive lineman committed to the class. 

Talks of O'Brien jumping to the NFL are nothing new. The head coach reportedly interviewed with the Cleveland Browns and the Philadelphia Eagles after leading the Nittany Lions to an 8-4 season in 2012. Over the summer, the coach also had his NFL buyout reduced from $19.33 million to $6.48 million for this offseason.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)