Penn State snags an offensive verbal commit as rumors swirl about status of Bill O'Brien - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State snags an offensive verbal commit as rumors swirl about status of Bill O'Brien

Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Well, Chasz, you get points for interesting timing.

Offensive lineman Chasz Wright, a tackle attending junior college in New Berlin, N.Y., has verbally committed to Penn State’s 2014 recruiting class, Ryan Snyder of Blue-White Illustrated reported Saturday night. The pledge comes while other recruits are being vigorously questioned about their commitments to the Nittany Lions.

Second-year head coach Bill O'Brien -- who has emerged as an adept recruiter -- is currently the "overwhelming favorite" to become the Houston Texans' next head coach, and the two sides are working out a deal, ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported Saturday. However, several outlets have reported that the Texans’ search is far from over.

Wright, who was a 2013 prospect but elected to attend junior college for a year, is rated at three stars by Rivals and boasts a towering 6-foot-7, 300-pound frame. According to Rivals, the northern Virginia-native had previously been committed to both UConn and Temple.

The offensive tackle becomes the 18th member of Penn State's 2014 recruiting class. Noah Beh, of Scranton, is the only other offensive lineman committed to the class. 

Talks of O'Brien jumping to the NFL are nothing new. The head coach reportedly interviewed with the Cleveland Browns and the Philadelphia Eagles after leading the Nittany Lions to an 8-4 season in 2012. Over the summer, the coach also had his NFL buyout reduced from $19.33 million to $6.48 million for this offseason.

Loading…
Loading…

The Daily Collegian for Thursday, July 24, 2014

Total Votes: 0

Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)