Penn State snags an offensive verbal commit as rumors swirl about status of Bill O'Brien - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State snags an offensive verbal commit as rumors swirl about status of Bill O'Brien

Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Well, Chasz, you get points for interesting timing.

Offensive lineman Chasz Wright, a tackle attending junior college in New Berlin, N.Y., has verbally committed to Penn State’s 2014 recruiting class, Ryan Snyder of Blue-White Illustrated reported Saturday night. The pledge comes while other recruits are being vigorously questioned about their commitments to the Nittany Lions.

Second-year head coach Bill O'Brien -- who has emerged as an adept recruiter -- is currently the "overwhelming favorite" to become the Houston Texans' next head coach, and the two sides are working out a deal, ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported Saturday. However, several outlets have reported that the Texans’ search is far from over.

Wright, who was a 2013 prospect but elected to attend junior college for a year, is rated at three stars by Rivals and boasts a towering 6-foot-7, 300-pound frame. According to Rivals, the northern Virginia-native had previously been committed to both UConn and Temple.

The offensive tackle becomes the 18th member of Penn State's 2014 recruiting class. Noah Beh, of Scranton, is the only other offensive lineman committed to the class. 

Talks of O'Brien jumping to the NFL are nothing new. The head coach reportedly interviewed with the Cleveland Browns and the Philadelphia Eagles after leading the Nittany Lions to an 8-4 season in 2012. Over the summer, the coach also had his NFL buyout reduced from $19.33 million to $6.48 million for this offseason.

Things you need to know

Your Take

Loading…
Loading…