Neiko Robinson's high school coach offers explanation on former recruit's departure - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Neiko Robinson's high school coach offers explanation on former recruit's departure

Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:06 pm | Updated: 4:14 pm, Wed Aug 28, 2013.

When Bill O’Brien announced Tuesday that Neiko Robinson, a member of Penn State’s 2013 recruiting class, is no longer with the program, he kept the reasoning quiet.

It wasn’t a disciplinary issue, O’Brien said, but he preferred to keep the explanation of his departure between the two of them.

Robinson’s high school coach, Sid Wheatley, spoke to his former player last Friday and said in an exclusive phone interview with The Daily Collegian he believes it is an eligibility issue.

The Northview High School coach in Century, Fla., said he thinks the problem stemmed from two online classes Robinson was required to take over the summer in order to become NCAA eligible.

“As far as I know…and I might be a little dated, myself, because I have not exactly looked at the rule…but post-graduation, these were classes he took online to meet the [NCAA] requirements,” Wheatley said. “He took two of them. I believe the NCAA will only accept one. I believe that is where the problem came about.”

Robinson arrived on campus later than the other Lions, likely dealing with the same issue. O’Brien said in early August that Robinson’s late arrival was a result of “all the clearinghouse and NCAA deals.”

The NCAA clearinghouse, now known as the NCAA eligibility center, deals with the academic eligibility of incoming freshmen.

Wheatley said the two required classes were taken post-graduation, but not at Penn State.

The coach said the courses were taken through Florida Virtual School — an accredited, online e-learning school for students in grades K-12, according to its website.

Wheatley said the issue leaves Robinson ineligible for FBS play immediately, but the three-star recruit will play football — it’s just a matter of where.

“He could immediately go, obviously, to a Division II school, but I don’t know that we’re going to pursue that,” Wheatley said. “It looks like he might need to go into the [junior college] route.

“At this point, weighing the options and looking at the big picture down the road... that might be the best option for him right now.”

Robinson was supposed to give the Nittany Lions an added presence in the secondary. O’Brien said in early August that Robinson had a long way to go to contribute, but the coach admired his athleticism.

Wheatley said Robinson was a good fit for Penn State in terms of his on-field talent and off-the-field make-up.

“When we talked to Penn State, we knew what kind of athlete and what kind of individual they were looking for,” Wheatley said. “And if I had any reservations with Neiko, I would have been in the front…I’ve got nothing but high praises and marks for Neiko.”

O’Brien echoed similar sentiments, calling Robinson “a fantastic kid” at Tuesday’s press conference.

“[His departure] had nothing to do with discipline. Nothing,” O’Brien said. “This kid is a fantastic kid. It just didn’t work out here at Penn State. He will end up somewhere, but he won’t be at Penn State.”

And while he won’t be at Penn State as O’Brien made clear, Wheatley told his former player to stay positive in the upcoming search for a new place to play.

“I just told him to keep his head up,” Wheatley said. “Obviously he’s going to play football.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)