Neiko Robinson's high school coach offers explanation on former recruit's departure - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Neiko Robinson's high school coach offers explanation on former recruit's departure

Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:06 pm | Updated: 4:14 pm, Wed Aug 28, 2013.

When Bill O’Brien announced Tuesday that Neiko Robinson, a member of Penn State’s 2013 recruiting class, is no longer with the program, he kept the reasoning quiet.

It wasn’t a disciplinary issue, O’Brien said, but he preferred to keep the explanation of his departure between the two of them.

Robinson’s high school coach, Sid Wheatley, spoke to his former player last Friday and said in an exclusive phone interview with The Daily Collegian he believes it is an eligibility issue.

The Northview High School coach in Century, Fla., said he thinks the problem stemmed from two online classes Robinson was required to take over the summer in order to become NCAA eligible.

“As far as I know…and I might be a little dated, myself, because I have not exactly looked at the rule…but post-graduation, these were classes he took online to meet the [NCAA] requirements,” Wheatley said. “He took two of them. I believe the NCAA will only accept one. I believe that is where the problem came about.”

Robinson arrived on campus later than the other Lions, likely dealing with the same issue. O’Brien said in early August that Robinson’s late arrival was a result of “all the clearinghouse and NCAA deals.”

The NCAA clearinghouse, now known as the NCAA eligibility center, deals with the academic eligibility of incoming freshmen.

Wheatley said the two required classes were taken post-graduation, but not at Penn State.

The coach said the courses were taken through Florida Virtual School — an accredited, online e-learning school for students in grades K-12, according to its website.

Wheatley said the issue leaves Robinson ineligible for FBS play immediately, but the three-star recruit will play football — it’s just a matter of where.

“He could immediately go, obviously, to a Division II school, but I don’t know that we’re going to pursue that,” Wheatley said. “It looks like he might need to go into the [junior college] route.

“At this point, weighing the options and looking at the big picture down the road... that might be the best option for him right now.”

Robinson was supposed to give the Nittany Lions an added presence in the secondary. O’Brien said in early August that Robinson had a long way to go to contribute, but the coach admired his athleticism.

Wheatley said Robinson was a good fit for Penn State in terms of his on-field talent and off-the-field make-up.

“When we talked to Penn State, we knew what kind of athlete and what kind of individual they were looking for,” Wheatley said. “And if I had any reservations with Neiko, I would have been in the front…I’ve got nothing but high praises and marks for Neiko.”

O’Brien echoed similar sentiments, calling Robinson “a fantastic kid” at Tuesday’s press conference.

“[His departure] had nothing to do with discipline. Nothing,” O’Brien said. “This kid is a fantastic kid. It just didn’t work out here at Penn State. He will end up somewhere, but he won’t be at Penn State.”

And while he won’t be at Penn State as O’Brien made clear, Wheatley told his former player to stay positive in the upcoming search for a new place to play.

“I just told him to keep his head up,” Wheatley said. “Obviously he’s going to play football.”

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)