10 Players to Watch: Glenn Carson primed to anchor defense - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

10 Players to Watch: Glenn Carson primed to anchor defense

Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 4:25 pm, Wed Aug 28, 2013.

Series note: This is the sixth in a 10-part series examining 10 Penn State football players to watch through the 2013 season.

Glenn Carson is embracing his role as the guy this season for Penn State’s defense, and rightfully so — he’s coming off an 85-tackle season and no longer will be playing in the shadow of now-NFL linebackers Michael Mauti and Gerald Hodges.

However, the soft-spoken state champion high school wrestler from Manahawkin, N.J., once did not possess the mental fortitude to take on this kind of a leadership role that he does now.

“I was always a pretty modest kid and, if anything, I sort of had a lack of confidence when it came to football,” Carson said earlier this month, looking back on his younger football years. “It kind of hurt me in some ways. But, it’s just been a blessing to be a part of Linebacker ‘U,’ starting for two years now and going into my third year.”

Carson said this mental turnaround began for him in the spring before his sophomore season, when he had 74 tackles after having just 12 the season prior. The senior middle linebacker finished third on the team in tackles in 2012, behind Mauti and Hodges, and ended the year with his best statistical performances of the season — leading the team with 34 tackles in the last three games.

While Carson said he doesn’t focus as much on the increase in his personal stats over time, he has gained confidence through in-game improvements, which he primarily notices when watching himself on film.

“It’s just the small things,” Carson said. “I’m a lot more comfortable and the game has slowed down for me. I don’t judge by how many tackles I made and what-not, but you can definitely see how I’ve progressed.”

Carson will likely continue to stand out on tape more than ever this season — which will be kicked off with a return to his home state against Syracuse in MetLife stadium on Saturday — now that two All-Big Ten linebackers have moved on to the next level.

Coach Bill O’Brien said at Big Ten Media Day in July that he trusts his defensive leadership will remain in good hands, primarily because Carson already began serving as a leader prior to this year.

“Glenn is certainly a guy you would describe as a high-character guy, very intense, heart-and-soul type of guy,” O’Brien said. “Glenn's not a real rah-rah guy. Glenn is very serious about his position as the middle linebacker at Penn State. He understands the tradition of linebackers at Penn State and obviously Linebacker ‘U.’”

And with a large amount of his family expected in East Rutherford on Saturday, fans should anticipate a revved up Carson embracing the spotlight.

“I’m not the young guy, so it’s my turn to take it over as a leader and be the alpha male out there,” Carson said of his role this season.

Loading…
Loading…

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)