10 Players to Watch: Glenn Carson primed to anchor defense - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

10 Players to Watch: Glenn Carson primed to anchor defense

Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 4:25 pm, Wed Aug 28, 2013.

Series note: This is the sixth in a 10-part series examining 10 Penn State football players to watch through the 2013 season.

Glenn Carson is embracing his role as the guy this season for Penn State’s defense, and rightfully so — he’s coming off an 85-tackle season and no longer will be playing in the shadow of now-NFL linebackers Michael Mauti and Gerald Hodges.

However, the soft-spoken state champion high school wrestler from Manahawkin, N.J., once did not possess the mental fortitude to take on this kind of a leadership role that he does now.

“I was always a pretty modest kid and, if anything, I sort of had a lack of confidence when it came to football,” Carson said earlier this month, looking back on his younger football years. “It kind of hurt me in some ways. But, it’s just been a blessing to be a part of Linebacker ‘U,’ starting for two years now and going into my third year.”

Carson said this mental turnaround began for him in the spring before his sophomore season, when he had 74 tackles after having just 12 the season prior. The senior middle linebacker finished third on the team in tackles in 2012, behind Mauti and Hodges, and ended the year with his best statistical performances of the season — leading the team with 34 tackles in the last three games.

While Carson said he doesn’t focus as much on the increase in his personal stats over time, he has gained confidence through in-game improvements, which he primarily notices when watching himself on film.

“It’s just the small things,” Carson said. “I’m a lot more comfortable and the game has slowed down for me. I don’t judge by how many tackles I made and what-not, but you can definitely see how I’ve progressed.”

Carson will likely continue to stand out on tape more than ever this season — which will be kicked off with a return to his home state against Syracuse in MetLife stadium on Saturday — now that two All-Big Ten linebackers have moved on to the next level.

Coach Bill O’Brien said at Big Ten Media Day in July that he trusts his defensive leadership will remain in good hands, primarily because Carson already began serving as a leader prior to this year.

“Glenn is certainly a guy you would describe as a high-character guy, very intense, heart-and-soul type of guy,” O’Brien said. “Glenn's not a real rah-rah guy. Glenn is very serious about his position as the middle linebacker at Penn State. He understands the tradition of linebackers at Penn State and obviously Linebacker ‘U.’”

And with a large amount of his family expected in East Rutherford on Saturday, fans should anticipate a revved up Carson embracing the spotlight.

“I’m not the young guy, so it’s my turn to take it over as a leader and be the alpha male out there,” Carson said of his role this season.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)