Linebacker Mike Hull’s health still in limbo - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Linebacker Mike Hull’s health still in limbo

Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:00 am

Coach Bill O’Brien almost made it through the injury report at the beginning of his weekly press conference Tuesday without mentioning anything more than “typical week four bumps and bruises.”

But, there was still one notable player unable to be dubbed fully healthy.

“The one guy that is day-to-day would be Michael Hull. He’s sore,” O’Brien said of the starting linebacker. “Yesterday and Monday, he was sore. We’re going to watch him at practice and see how he does.”

After injuring his knee early in the Syracuse game, Hull sat out the following contest against Eastern Michigan before returning to action in the loss to Central Florida this past weekend. But, the redshirt junior did not start and appeared to still be affected by the lingering injury in the Nittany Lions’ poor defensive effort against the Knights.

Hull finished the game with four tackles and showed some flashes of his ability prior to the injury — including a tackle he combined to have on running back Storm Johnson to force the Knights into a three-and-out situation immediately following the Lions’ first score.

However, Hull was often slow to return to his position in between plays, and rarely appeared to be full strength while attempting to energize a struggling Lions’ defense that gave up more than 500 yards of offense Saturday.

Fellow linebacker Glenn Carson confirmed Hull was not fully healthy on a conference call Tuesday, but said he expects his teammate’s impact to continue to grow as the season progresses.

“He’s a real tough guy, and he wanted to get back on the field as soon as he could for the team, but I don’t think he was 100 percent healthy out there this weekend,” Carson said. “I do think that this week is going to be a huge week healing-wise for him.”

Offensive tackle Adam Gress said it was no surprise to Hull’s teammates that the linebacker fought through the injury, saying he’s always one to play when “just a little banged up.”

Still, the Lions would certainly benefit from a full-strength Hull, who finished sixth on the team in tackles in 2012 with 58, despite starting just one game.

Penn State had few sure tacklers playing at their best against the Knights Saturday, and Hull’s inability to play the whole game meant converted safety Stephen Obeng-Agyapong’s stint as a pseudo-linebacker continued.

After looking at the tape, Carson said he noticed several alignment issues and miscommunications among the defense, which he at least partly took the blame for as the anchor of the unit.

But, the senior said having Hull at 100 percent would allow the talented linebacker’s full array of talents to show, thus allowing the defense to be at its best.

“It’s really unfortunate that he had to get hurt, especially so early in the season,” Carson said. “But, he’s a heart-and-soul guy on the defense. He has that field presence and when he gets healthy, he’s going to definitely play an important factor on defense.”

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)