Linebacker Mike Hull’s health still in limbo - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Linebacker Mike Hull’s health still in limbo

Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:00 am

Coach Bill O’Brien almost made it through the injury report at the beginning of his weekly press conference Tuesday without mentioning anything more than “typical week four bumps and bruises.”

But, there was still one notable player unable to be dubbed fully healthy.

“The one guy that is day-to-day would be Michael Hull. He’s sore,” O’Brien said of the starting linebacker. “Yesterday and Monday, he was sore. We’re going to watch him at practice and see how he does.”

After injuring his knee early in the Syracuse game, Hull sat out the following contest against Eastern Michigan before returning to action in the loss to Central Florida this past weekend. But, the redshirt junior did not start and appeared to still be affected by the lingering injury in the Nittany Lions’ poor defensive effort against the Knights.

Hull finished the game with four tackles and showed some flashes of his ability prior to the injury — including a tackle he combined to have on running back Storm Johnson to force the Knights into a three-and-out situation immediately following the Lions’ first score.

However, Hull was often slow to return to his position in between plays, and rarely appeared to be full strength while attempting to energize a struggling Lions’ defense that gave up more than 500 yards of offense Saturday.

Fellow linebacker Glenn Carson confirmed Hull was not fully healthy on a conference call Tuesday, but said he expects his teammate’s impact to continue to grow as the season progresses.

“He’s a real tough guy, and he wanted to get back on the field as soon as he could for the team, but I don’t think he was 100 percent healthy out there this weekend,” Carson said. “I do think that this week is going to be a huge week healing-wise for him.”

Offensive tackle Adam Gress said it was no surprise to Hull’s teammates that the linebacker fought through the injury, saying he’s always one to play when “just a little banged up.”

Still, the Lions would certainly benefit from a full-strength Hull, who finished sixth on the team in tackles in 2012 with 58, despite starting just one game.

Penn State had few sure tacklers playing at their best against the Knights Saturday, and Hull’s inability to play the whole game meant converted safety Stephen Obeng-Agyapong’s stint as a pseudo-linebacker continued.

After looking at the tape, Carson said he noticed several alignment issues and miscommunications among the defense, which he at least partly took the blame for as the anchor of the unit.

But, the senior said having Hull at 100 percent would allow the talented linebacker’s full array of talents to show, thus allowing the defense to be at its best.

“It’s really unfortunate that he had to get hurt, especially so early in the season,” Carson said. “But, he’s a heart-and-soul guy on the defense. He has that field presence and when he gets healthy, he’s going to definitely play an important factor on defense.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)