Last word: Allen Robinson caps spectacular junior season - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Last word: Allen Robinson caps spectacular junior season

• Allen Robinson, Dezmen Southward

Wisconsin's Dezmen Southward (12) tackles Penn State's Allen Robinson (8) after a 52-yard pass reception during the first half of an NCAA college football game on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013, in Madison, Wis.

Posted: Monday, December 2, 2013 12:18 am

Whether Allen Robinson is headed for the NFL or coming back for his senior season next year is still very much up in the air.

But if Saturday was his last time in a Penn State uniform, it’ll be a game remembered fondly, as the 6-foot-3 junior wideout delivered yet another signature performance.

With eight catches for 122 yards, Robinson pushed his season totals to a remarkable 1,432 yards on 97 receptions — just two catches shy of tying Deon Butler for the most career receptions in program history. Both those marks topped the Big Ten.

Robinson has, of course, made a fair share of jaw-dropping plays, including a screen pass he took 52 yards against the Badgers.

O’Brien, as always, took notice.

“He made a lot of plays tonight. I think even the plays that he didn’t, they helped because there was the threat of him making a play,” O’Brien said. “You can’t say enough about Allen Robinson.”

Day to remember

Offense: QB Christian Hackenberg

Hackenberg laid quite the stepping stone for this offseason with a 21-of-30, 339-yard, four-touchdown day against the Badgers. He’s spent just five months on campus and has plenty of room to grow. His best performance of the season will give him a nice wave of confidence for the winter and beyond.

Defense: Kyle Baublitz, Glenn Carson, DaQuan Jones, Stephen Obeng-Agyapong and Malcolm Willis.

Penn State’s defense took some flak this year for its struggles in its first three Big Ten games, surrendering 44, 40 and 63 points.

But, these five seniors went out on a high note after much frustration. The defense did allow 459 yards, but just 120 on 30 carries against Wisconsin’s potent ground attack. These seniors will remember this one.

Day to forget

Offense: T Donovan Smith

Smith had four false starts Saturday and the Nittany Lions’ offensive line had eight total. Penn State ran just 58 plays — so before 14 percent of its snaps, there were false starts.

Defense: CB Jordan Lucas

Lucas matched up with Wisconsin wideout Jared Abbrederis, who ranked in the Big Ten’s top 5 in both receptions and receiving yards this season.

The former walk-on caught 12 balls for 135 yards, although several catches were against soft zone coverages in the fourth quarter.

Extra point

Passes of 68, 52, and 59 yards and Zach Zwinak’s 61-yard run that sealed the game were the four longest plays from scrimmage Wisconsin has allowed all season.

Did you notice?

Penn State was much better in kick coverage, an area where the Lions have struggled this year. Saturday, they allowed just 13 yards per return — their season average is now 24.2 yards per opponent’s kick return, ranking 110th in the nation.

Quotable:

“We wanted it real bad...We knew we had a great opportunity in front of us. Had a chance to probably go to a BCS game if we won today.” — Badgers senior running back James White on losing on Wisconsin’s Senior Day.

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)