Last word: Allen Robinson caps spectacular junior season - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Last word: Allen Robinson caps spectacular junior season

Posted: Monday, December 2, 2013 12:18 am

Whether Allen Robinson is headed for the NFL or coming back for his senior season next year is still very much up in the air.

But if Saturday was his last time in a Penn State uniform, it’ll be a game remembered fondly, as the 6-foot-3 junior wideout delivered yet another signature performance.

With eight catches for 122 yards, Robinson pushed his season totals to a remarkable 1,432 yards on 97 receptions — just two catches shy of tying Deon Butler for the most career receptions in program history. Both those marks topped the Big Ten.

Robinson has, of course, made a fair share of jaw-dropping plays, including a screen pass he took 52 yards against the Badgers.

O’Brien, as always, took notice.

“He made a lot of plays tonight. I think even the plays that he didn’t, they helped because there was the threat of him making a play,” O’Brien said. “You can’t say enough about Allen Robinson.”

Day to remember

Offense: QB Christian Hackenberg

Hackenberg laid quite the stepping stone for this offseason with a 21-of-30, 339-yard, four-touchdown day against the Badgers. He’s spent just five months on campus and has plenty of room to grow. His best performance of the season will give him a nice wave of confidence for the winter and beyond.

Defense: Kyle Baublitz, Glenn Carson, DaQuan Jones, Stephen Obeng-Agyapong and Malcolm Willis.

Penn State’s defense took some flak this year for its struggles in its first three Big Ten games, surrendering 44, 40 and 63 points.

But, these five seniors went out on a high note after much frustration. The defense did allow 459 yards, but just 120 on 30 carries against Wisconsin’s potent ground attack. These seniors will remember this one.

Day to forget

Offense: T Donovan Smith

Smith had four false starts Saturday and the Nittany Lions’ offensive line had eight total. Penn State ran just 58 plays — so before 14 percent of its snaps, there were false starts.

Defense: CB Jordan Lucas

Lucas matched up with Wisconsin wideout Jared Abbrederis, who ranked in the Big Ten’s top 5 in both receptions and receiving yards this season.

The former walk-on caught 12 balls for 135 yards, although several catches were against soft zone coverages in the fourth quarter.

Extra point

Passes of 68, 52, and 59 yards and Zach Zwinak’s 61-yard run that sealed the game were the four longest plays from scrimmage Wisconsin has allowed all season.

Did you notice?

Penn State was much better in kick coverage, an area where the Lions have struggled this year. Saturday, they allowed just 13 yards per return — their season average is now 24.2 yards per opponent’s kick return, ranking 110th in the nation.

Quotable:

“We wanted it real bad...We knew we had a great opportunity in front of us. Had a chance to probably go to a BCS game if we won today.” — Badgers senior running back James White on losing on Wisconsin’s Senior Day.

Things you need to know

Your Take

Loading…
Loading…
Loading…