Last word: Allen Robinson caps spectacular junior season - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Last word: Allen Robinson caps spectacular junior season

• Allen Robinson, Dezmen Southward

Wisconsin's Dezmen Southward (12) tackles Penn State's Allen Robinson (8) after a 52-yard pass reception during the first half of an NCAA college football game on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013, in Madison, Wis.

Posted: Monday, December 2, 2013 12:18 am

Whether Allen Robinson is headed for the NFL or coming back for his senior season next year is still very much up in the air.

But if Saturday was his last time in a Penn State uniform, it’ll be a game remembered fondly, as the 6-foot-3 junior wideout delivered yet another signature performance.

With eight catches for 122 yards, Robinson pushed his season totals to a remarkable 1,432 yards on 97 receptions — just two catches shy of tying Deon Butler for the most career receptions in program history. Both those marks topped the Big Ten.

Robinson has, of course, made a fair share of jaw-dropping plays, including a screen pass he took 52 yards against the Badgers.

O’Brien, as always, took notice.

“He made a lot of plays tonight. I think even the plays that he didn’t, they helped because there was the threat of him making a play,” O’Brien said. “You can’t say enough about Allen Robinson.”

Day to remember

Offense: QB Christian Hackenberg

Hackenberg laid quite the stepping stone for this offseason with a 21-of-30, 339-yard, four-touchdown day against the Badgers. He’s spent just five months on campus and has plenty of room to grow. His best performance of the season will give him a nice wave of confidence for the winter and beyond.

Defense: Kyle Baublitz, Glenn Carson, DaQuan Jones, Stephen Obeng-Agyapong and Malcolm Willis.

Penn State’s defense took some flak this year for its struggles in its first three Big Ten games, surrendering 44, 40 and 63 points.

But, these five seniors went out on a high note after much frustration. The defense did allow 459 yards, but just 120 on 30 carries against Wisconsin’s potent ground attack. These seniors will remember this one.

Day to forget

Offense: T Donovan Smith

Smith had four false starts Saturday and the Nittany Lions’ offensive line had eight total. Penn State ran just 58 plays — so before 14 percent of its snaps, there were false starts.

Defense: CB Jordan Lucas

Lucas matched up with Wisconsin wideout Jared Abbrederis, who ranked in the Big Ten’s top 5 in both receptions and receiving yards this season.

The former walk-on caught 12 balls for 135 yards, although several catches were against soft zone coverages in the fourth quarter.

Extra point

Passes of 68, 52, and 59 yards and Zach Zwinak’s 61-yard run that sealed the game were the four longest plays from scrimmage Wisconsin has allowed all season.

Did you notice?

Penn State was much better in kick coverage, an area where the Lions have struggled this year. Saturday, they allowed just 13 yards per return — their season average is now 24.2 yards per opponent’s kick return, ranking 110th in the nation.

Quotable:

“We wanted it real bad...We knew we had a great opportunity in front of us. Had a chance to probably go to a BCS game if we won today.” — Badgers senior running back James White on losing on Wisconsin’s Senior Day.

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)