Penn State coach Bill O’Brien anticipating fast-paced Big Ten opener - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State coach Bill O’Brien anticipating fast-paced Big Ten opener

Posted: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 9:24 am, Wed Oct 2, 2013.

Penn State’s “NASCAR” offense was on full display against Kent State in week four, with most of the home team’s 89 offensive plays being snapped with more than 20 seconds left on the play clock.

But, as coach Bill O’Brien noted at his weekly press conference Tuesday, the Nittany Lions should expect to be in for a taste of their own medicine in Bloomington, Ind., Saturday afternoon.

The high-flying Hoosiers may present an even more fast-paced offensive attack than the Lions, and O’Brien expects Indiana coach Kevin Wilson and company to shoot for 90-plus plays in this week’s game. The Hoosiers, despite sitting at 2-2, have lit up the scoreboard so far this season, averaging 44.5 points and 547.2 yards per game.

O’Brien said the offensive strategy of the Hoosiers has taken off through nonconference play thanks in large part to freshman quarterback Nate Sudfeld, who has thrown for 1,146 yards and 11 touchdowns in four games.

However, the second-year Penn State coach also attributed much of the Hoosiers’ offensive success to Wilson’s NASCAR-style offense, which will require the Lions’ defense to maintain composure throughout.

“[Indiana’s offense] gets you into positions where you’re going to have to make plays in space,” O’Brien said. “And so, handling the tempo, being able to tackle in space and not giving up a lot of explosive plays is a big part of the gameplan.”

The Hoosiers are averaging 76.5 plays per game — 2.25 more than the Lions — leading some to wonder whether either coach will dial down the quicker paced playcalling to allow their defenses a chance to breathe.

O’Brien said keeping a gauge on his defense’s physical state throughout the game will likely require his offense to display its entire arsenal.

“If you watch us — not that we’re a great offense, don’t get me wrong — but you can see that we have different types of tempos where we go really fast, we go medium fast, and then sometimes we huddle up,” O’Brien said. “And I think that’s really important [against a fast-paced team like Indiana].”

Goodbye, bye week

Meanwhile, Penn State is coming off of its first of two bye weeks this season, and O’Brien said taking full advantage of these opportunities is crucial for reasons beyond regaining health.

O’Brien said, “a team’s identity is pretty much formed after the first four weeks,” so correcting poor tendencies was a main focus.

“Again, how productive was the bye week?” O’Brien said. “The proof is in the pudding on Saturday against Indiana.”

Hull in; Keiser out

Although O’Brien has mentioned the possibility of linebacker Mike Hull, who went down with a knee injury in the season opener, returning to the starting lineup earlier, it appears Saturday will finally be the day.

The redshirt junior was absent from the team’s injury report and O’Brien said barring a major setback this week, the linebacking corps will receive an added boost entering Big Ten play.

“He just brings a toughness to our football team. He got cut blocked against Syracuse — legally, it was a good block — and was injured on the play and he’s had a tough time coming back from it,” O’Brien said. “But, it looked to me as of yesterday, that he was moving around better and he feels better.”

However, O’Brien said safety and placeholder Ryan Keiser will not be in action Saturday, after suffering a hand injury against Kent State.

Quoteable

When the Brown graduate was asked whether he watched more of the Brown-Harvard football game or Ohio State-Wisconsin game Saturday night, O’Brien briefly took media members through a day in the life of a Division I coach on a bye weekend.

“I flicked back and forth,” O’Brien said of the two night games. “I was at a Little League game that lasted four hours in Lewistown [earlier to watch his son]. I mean, it was unbelievable. Then, I came home and LSU, Georgia was on. That was a great football game, one of the better games I’ve seen.”

NFL Draft Coverage

DaQuan Jones' father reacts to son's drafting
Posted: May 12, 2014

DaQuan Jones' father endured many hardships while raising his son, but it all paid off Saturday as the Tennessee Titans drafted DaQuan.

Comments (0)
Glenn Carson, Garry Gilliam sign deals as undrafted free agents
Posted: May 10, 2014

Former Nittany Lions Garry Gilliam and Glenn Carson signed with NFL teams after going undrafted. 

Comments (0)
Former Nittany Lions find NFL homes
Posted: May 11, 2014

Forget about Silas Redd and Khairi Fortt? Two NFL teams didn't

Comments (0)
NFL Draft Recap
Posted: May 11, 2014

Three former Nittany Lions were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Comments (0)
Tennessee Titans draft DaQuan Jones in the fourth round
Posted: May 10, 2014

DaQuan Jones becomes the second Penn State player to get drafted as the Tennessee Titans selected him.

Comments (0)
Math meets football: Twitter adores John Urschel
Posted: May 10, 2014

Shortly after the Baltimore Ravens drafted John Urschel with the No. 175 pick in the fifth round, fans and teammates took to Twitter to discuss their thoughts.

Comments (0)
Fans, teammates react to Allen Robinson getting drafted
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected wide receiver Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. Robinson watched as 10 wide receivers were picked before the Jaguars ended his wait.

Comments (0)
Jacksonville Jaguars draft Allen Robinson in 2nd round of NFL Draft
Posted: May 09, 2014

The Jaguars ended wide receiver Allen Robinson's wait as they selected him with the No. 61 overall pick in the second round. 

Comments (0)
John Urschel's diary: Draft day arrives
Posted: May 09, 2014

John Urschel continues his journal series for the Associated Press with his newest post: Draft Day. 

Comments (0)
Matt McGloin's moxie running dry in Oakland?
Posted: May 09, 2014

With the Oakland Raiders selecting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr with the No. 36 pick in the second round, the Matt McGloin era in Oakland might be coming to an end.

Comments (0)