Penn State coach Bill O’Brien anticipating fast-paced Big Ten opener - The Daily Collegian: Football

|
||

Penn State coach Bill O’Brien anticipating fast-paced Big Ten opener

Posted: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 9:24 am, Wed Oct 2, 2013.

Penn State’s “NASCAR” offense was on full display against Kent State in week four, with most of the home team’s 89 offensive plays being snapped with more than 20 seconds left on the play clock.

But, as coach Bill O’Brien noted at his weekly press conference Tuesday, the Nittany Lions should expect to be in for a taste of their own medicine in Bloomington, Ind., Saturday afternoon.

The high-flying Hoosiers may present an even more fast-paced offensive attack than the Lions, and O’Brien expects Indiana coach Kevin Wilson and company to shoot for 90-plus plays in this week’s game. The Hoosiers, despite sitting at 2-2, have lit up the scoreboard so far this season, averaging 44.5 points and 547.2 yards per game.

O’Brien said the offensive strategy of the Hoosiers has taken off through nonconference play thanks in large part to freshman quarterback Nate Sudfeld, who has thrown for 1,146 yards and 11 touchdowns in four games.

However, the second-year Penn State coach also attributed much of the Hoosiers’ offensive success to Wilson’s NASCAR-style offense, which will require the Lions’ defense to maintain composure throughout.

“[Indiana’s offense] gets you into positions where you’re going to have to make plays in space,” O’Brien said. “And so, handling the tempo, being able to tackle in space and not giving up a lot of explosive plays is a big part of the gameplan.”

The Hoosiers are averaging 76.5 plays per game — 2.25 more than the Lions — leading some to wonder whether either coach will dial down the quicker paced playcalling to allow their defenses a chance to breathe.

O’Brien said keeping a gauge on his defense’s physical state throughout the game will likely require his offense to display its entire arsenal.

“If you watch us — not that we’re a great offense, don’t get me wrong — but you can see that we have different types of tempos where we go really fast, we go medium fast, and then sometimes we huddle up,” O’Brien said. “And I think that’s really important [against a fast-paced team like Indiana].”

Goodbye, bye week

Meanwhile, Penn State is coming off of its first of two bye weeks this season, and O’Brien said taking full advantage of these opportunities is crucial for reasons beyond regaining health.

O’Brien said, “a team’s identity is pretty much formed after the first four weeks,” so correcting poor tendencies was a main focus.

“Again, how productive was the bye week?” O’Brien said. “The proof is in the pudding on Saturday against Indiana.”

Hull in; Keiser out

Although O’Brien has mentioned the possibility of linebacker Mike Hull, who went down with a knee injury in the season opener, returning to the starting lineup earlier, it appears Saturday will finally be the day.

The redshirt junior was absent from the team’s injury report and O’Brien said barring a major setback this week, the linebacking corps will receive an added boost entering Big Ten play.

“He just brings a toughness to our football team. He got cut blocked against Syracuse — legally, it was a good block — and was injured on the play and he’s had a tough time coming back from it,” O’Brien said. “But, it looked to me as of yesterday, that he was moving around better and he feels better.”

However, O’Brien said safety and placeholder Ryan Keiser will not be in action Saturday, after suffering a hand injury against Kent State.

Quoteable

When the Brown graduate was asked whether he watched more of the Brown-Harvard football game or Ohio State-Wisconsin game Saturday night, O’Brien briefly took media members through a day in the life of a Division I coach on a bye weekend.

“I flicked back and forth,” O’Brien said of the two night games. “I was at a Little League game that lasted four hours in Lewistown [earlier to watch his son]. I mean, it was unbelievable. Then, I came home and LSU, Georgia was on. That was a great football game, one of the better games I’ve seen.”

Football Columns

My View: Title IX is a scapegoat for college football’s role in decline of NCAA men’s sports
Posted: March 05, 2014

In this article, I argue that Title IX is a scapegoat for the true culprit for the decline in men’s non-revenue sports: the exorbitant spending on football programs by schools which fruitlessly pursue a mirage of revenue.

Comments (0)
In the midst of uncertainty, Penn State needs stability — whether it's Bill O'Brien or his successor
Posted: December 31, 2013

If Penn State brass is out shopping for a new coach in the coming weeks (or days), its representatives need to identify who could also be using this job as a way to boost their personal brand.

Comments (7)
Penn State football: given ‘new normal’ in Happy Valley, 7-5 record even more impressive than 2012 results
Posted: December 02, 2013

There wasn’t a grand reveal to honor Penn State’s season on Senior Day, nor will there be a Maxwell Coach of the Year award waiting for coach Bill O’Brien come winter.

Comments (2)
Purdue coach Darrell Hazell unwise giving Penn State bulletin board material
Posted: November 18, 2013

Hazell thought earlier last week that Penn State’s running game wasn’t on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. Bill O’Brien proved otherwise.

Comments (0)
If Jameis Winston deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does the woman who said she was sexually assaulted
Posted: November 15, 2013

Media, fans and those pesky pundits are responding in a typical way — they’re perpetuating the idea that sexual assault can be the fault of the victim by blindly criticizing a typical 11-month investigation.

Comments (4)
In recruiting ratings, the analysts tab the five-stars, but lower than that? It’s shades of gray
Posted: November 14, 2013

Rating Division I football prospects is a serious business that garners a great deal of national attention. So we had to ask: are these ratings indicative of how a player will perform in college?

Comments (0)
Column: Penn State football once again shows down doesn’t always mean out
Posted: October 13, 2013

A Penn State win appeared hopeless at several points in Saturday’s game against Michigan. But resiliency once again led coach Bill O’Brien’s squad to victory.

Comments (0)
Lions face a gut check in Michigan
Posted: October 11, 2013

The second-year coach said this week it’d be crazy to think Saturday’s all-stadium White Out on ESPN at night is a normal contest.

Comments (0)
Penn State football isn’t perfect, and that’s OK
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 12:00 am

Yes, a Joe Paterno-coached team never lost to Indiana. And no, Penn State didn’t play or coach its best Saturday in a loss to the Hoosiers. But come on, Internet. Settle down.

Comments (0)
Penn State didn’t play horribly Saturday --- it just didn’t play complementary football in a loss to Indiana
Updated: October 08, 2013 - 2:17 pm

While football seems like a game distinctly separated into offense and defense, the two indirectly go hand-in-hand. The units aren’t on the field at the same time, but one affects the other in a major way.

Comments (0)